U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM

616 posts, read 457,774 times

Advertisements

If anyone is interested, please take a look at all of the proposals and attend the meetings.

Carolina Crossroads

There are some very innovative designs. As usual the writer at "The State" chose to take the most expensive and controversial designs to click-bait an article. I think the direct connector which would simply allow people to access I-126 from I-20 a vice versa would keep alot of cars away from the 20-26 interchange. I also like the turbine at the 20-26 interchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 01:00 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,517,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
If anyone is interested, please take a look at all of the proposals and attend the meetings.

Carolina Crossroads

There are some very innovative designs. As usual the writer at "The State" chose to take the most expensive and controversial designs to click-bait an article. I think the direct connector which would simply allow people to access I-126 from I-20 a vice versa would keep alot of cars away from the 20-26 interchange. I also like the turbine at the 20-26 interchange.
I agree we need a direct connector considering the traffic from Lexington commuters is only going to increase.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:24 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Looks like the word is getting out about Columbia: Columbia SC is an up-and-coming city to visit, Thrillest says | The State

Old 05-31-2017, 03:38 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
Visited Nashville this weekend and I saw flashes of Columbia there. Cola is definitely headed in the right direction with it's downtown area vibrancy and activities. I think a stronger riverfront park/plaza area, and maybe a pedestrian bridge would really do wonders.

The buildings there were much taller in person than they look on pictures too. Would love for Cola to finally get something to pass the Cap building, but Columbia is densifying and that's just as good.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Visited Nashville this weekend and I saw flashes of Columbia there. Cola is definitely headed in the right direction with it's downtown area vibrancy and activities. I think a stronger riverfront park/plaza area, and maybe a pedestrian bridge would really do wonders.

The buildings there were much taller in person than they look on pictures too. Would love for Cola to finally get something to pass the Cap building, but Columbia is densifying and that's just as good.
I agree. I was in Nashville not so long ago, and I could see a lot of the future of Columbia, especially around the river front. The Nashville metro is quite a bit larger than Columbia, but I think we can always use inspiration. 505 is probably the tallest building without a crown, and it 550 ft. Nashville does have 10 or so buildings taller than Columbia, but I would rather have density as well.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:06 PM

I know these are silly, but it is still cool to make lists.

Columbia SC is an up-and-coming city to visit, Thrillest says | The State

Old 06-01-2017, 12:52 AM

751 posts, read 485,744 times
I wanna see something like this rolling on down Main Street and the Vista one day soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/5IPIxwqH4X/

Old 06-01-2017, 07:29 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I wanna see something like this rolling on down Main Street and the Vista one day soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/5IPIxwqH4X/
I've read numerous articles about how streetcars in most American cities are designed for property development and are quite poor at being true transportation for locals, the new QLine in Detroit being a good example. Or the River Line in Savannah being mostly for tourists. I'm curious how the Charlotte streetcar fares in this regard.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:45 AM

422 posts, read 248,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I've read numerous articles about how streetcars in most American cities are designed for property development and are quite poor at being true transportation for locals, the new QLine in Detroit being a good example. Or the River Line in Savannah being mostly for tourists. I'm curious how the Charlotte streetcar fares in this regard.
City planners always sell them as transportation projects, but they should really be funded by and geared toward tourists. I was in Melbourne, Australia last week and they created a free zone within what would be considered the central core. Their lines extended out of downtown, at which point they became fare-generating, but the focus was really on movement within downtown. Of course tram projects are expensive and have to be subsidized by the USDOT generally, so cities have to pretend they will primarily be used by locals.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:12 PM

751 posts, read 485,744 times
More student housing coming. New housing for students in the works near Williams-Brice Stadiu - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or