U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 AM

756 posts, read 489,832 times

Advertisements

Moving Up Main: The Cottontown/Elmwood Park Corridor Is Booming | Cover Stories | free-times.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 02:24 PM

430 posts, read 252,019 times
The $47M renovation of USC's (now) old law school was approved. The CHE is still holding hostage the purchase of the land just south of the UofSC Bookstore on Assembly though.

USC to borrow millions for old law school renovation | The State

Old 06-16-2017, 09:30 AM

430 posts, read 252,019 times
I don't think we've discussed this yet. Given that Greenville is the bigger system, it seems like they may pull more of the administrative positions in their direction over time. I doubt there will be any huge layoffs. I also don't see this having much trouble with regulators.

If USC is smart, it will try to leverage its med school at Greenville and its connection with Palmetto Health to brand the new system as Palmetto-USC Hospital System or something in that vein. The system would be seen as a teaching system (helpful for magnet accreditation) and the school would benefit from potentially insourcing a lot of the research, which helps with the goal of eventually being admitted into the AAU.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:20 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,439,491 times
I cant believe I haven't heard about this till now, but apparently the city of Columbia is designing a new flag. They've narrowed it down to 19 flags and we have the chance to vote on what we like the best. Take a look:

https://www.columbiamuseum.org/suppo...-columbia-flag

Choose the new flag via this survey here:

The Next Flag of Columbia SC

Old 06-16-2017, 03:44 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,439,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I cant believe I haven't heard about this till now, but apparently the city of Columbia is designing a new flag. They've narrowed it down to 19 flags and we have the chance to vote on what we like the best. Take a look:

https://www.columbiamuseum.org/suppo...-columbia-flag

Choose the new flag via this survey here:

The Next Flag of Columbia SC
There are a lot of good ideas, but I really, really liked design #11. The very last design (#19) was the most bland, IMO.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 AM

756 posts, read 489,832 times
Aye here we go. I knew someone was gonna bring this back up.
Here is what’s up with the plan for apartments on top of Columbia parking garages

Apartments still considered for Columbia parking garages | The State

Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 PM

290 posts, read 735,943 times
Question about the SC Aquarium in Charleston?!?!

My cousin and her husband were conversing about the SC Aquarium and how it was a disappointment on Facebook. They said it was nice but small and not really worth the price or time. Comments from her friends stated they should visit the ones in ATL, Cape Fear and Chattanooga because they were way better. She stated that it shouldn't have been in Charleston to begin with and would have been better suited for Columbia. It got me thinking, because my better half took our son there last year and left with the same sentiment and basically said the aquarium should have been in downtown Columbia instead like the one in Chattanooga is. My cousin and her family just moved back home from the West Coast and felt like having that Aquarium right along the canal with EdVenture and the SC State Museum would have been the best fit.

I guess i'm wondering if Columbia was ever even considered for the Aquarium and do anyone agree with what my fiancee and my cousin's family were saying?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:16 PM

9,646 posts, read 13,817,669 times
I haven't been to the aquarium yet, but from what I've heard, I feel it might not be former Mayor Joe Riley's best accomplishment. Maybe he should have gone big or gone home on that project.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:19 PM

9,646 posts, read 13,817,669 times
My spouse and I had reason to be on Killian Road today. It's changing. We drove into Columbia on Two Notch Road from Clemson Road, however, and OMG - SMH. It has gone down so much in just two years. I don't know what it would take for it to ever start to come back. It is downright depressing. The part of it that is closer to Taylor Street has improved some, but the rest is awful.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,513,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
My spouse and I had reason to be on Killian Road today. It's changing. We drove into Columbia on Two Notch Road from Clemson Road, however, and OMG - SMH. It has gone down so much in just two years. I don't know what it would take for it to ever start to come back. It is downright depressing. The part of it that is closer to Taylor Street has improved some, but the rest is awful.
It's been bad for a long time. I don't think much has changed in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or