U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM

9,633 posts, read 13,789,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
It's been bad for a long time. I don't think much has changed in two years.
Actually yes it has. A lot of things have gone under during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 AM

123 posts, read 100,597 times
Yeah when Columbia Place went down that was the room of Two Notch. However Farrow Road is going through a rebirth. Maybe Two Notch will follow

Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,509,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestondata View Post
actually yes it has. A lot of things have gone under during that time.
k

Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,410,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Actually yes it has. A lot of things have gone under during that time.

I don't see Two Notch from I-20 to Beltline coming back any time soon. The sections outside of that stretch will certainly be stable or improve especially down in the City where you have plans to redevelop the old Midlands Shopping Center, the old Ford Dealership will likely follow and Benedict will continue to develop its athletic complex over time. The section between I-20 and Beltline will continue to serve small businesses that cater to the surrounding neighborhood (which is great) but I woudnt hold my breath for much beyond that. As for Columbia Place.. there should be some form of major redevelopment plan created between the property owner and the County to severe as the catalyst for improvement especially with the loss of Sears.

It amazes me that politicos can come together to think of all types of incentives for things like apartment buildings but are silent on some of these more challenged areas. They could draw a line around each of the Regions struggling Malls. Columbia Place, Richland and Dutch Square and develop a lucrative "incentive" and maybe some subordinate local financing to encourage their redevelopment into mixed use center. This could be a combination of housing(with both market rate and affordable), retail, office, and light industrial. YOu could create livable neighborhoods with built in retail services, and potential employment all in the same development.. which has bee rebranded as "town centers" by the real estate moguls in the new suburbs. I would support the use of my tax dollars to shore up these projects as opposed to a baseball stadium downtown where quite frankly I am more than satisfied with the Vista and Main St as centers of entertainment.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM

6,180 posts, read 9,410,055 times
There are new nice homes going up behind the old Gonzales Gardens. They resemble the ones that replaced Saxon Homes a while ago.. They are selling for around $150k and up. It looks like about ten or so for starters..Behind the one in the photo you can see the now closed GG> There is a nice park there and it is close to downtown, Providence and most in town amenities. My only complaint is.. why why why did they not build them on crawl spaces????!!! This is a historic area and most of the homes in the area are on brick or wooden crawl spaces AND it gives the home more character not to be "at grade" with the lawn...Anyway....This area is part of Greater Waverly and will likely improve considerably once the now vacant GG gets torn down. directly east of his area across Manning St is a very affluent community I believe called Forest Hills? Where homes start at $400k

Old 06-20-2017, 07:04 PM

8,959 posts, read 7,737,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
There are new nice homes going up behind the old Gonzales Gardens. They resemble the ones that replaced Saxon Homes a while ago.. They are selling for around $150k and up. It looks like about ten or so for starters..Behind the one in the photo you can see the now closed GG> There is a nice park there and it is close to downtown, Providence and most in town amenities. My only complaint is.. why why why did they not build them on crawl spaces????!!! This is a historic area and most of the homes in the area are on brick or wooden crawl spaces AND it gives the home more character not to be "at grade" with the lawn...Anyway....This area is part of Greater Waverly and will likely improve considerably once the now vacant GG gets torn down. directly east of his area across Manning St is a very affluent community I believe called Forest Hills? Where homes start at $400k

I would be concerned about buying in that area until one sees what will be developed in the old Gonzales Gardens area. Right now the city powers are concentrating on the Bull St. development.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 PM

751 posts, read 486,128 times
Miss Cocky Boutique moving to Main Street > Columbia Business Report

Old 06-22-2017, 08:16 AM

423 posts, read 249,157 times
This is great! USC needed a Gamecock store on Main Street. UofSC Bookstore is kind of out of the way and Carolina Bookstore on south Main, while close, is out of the way for people staying downtown. It's also nice that they sell strictly Gamecock apparel unlike the bookstores.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:50 PM

975 posts, read 1,002,587 times
Ya it's good location too where Nest used to be so Marriott door as well as street entrance

Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 PM

9,633 posts, read 13,789,007 times
Nest closed? Or did they move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or