U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 07:24 PM

416 posts, read 245,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The State barely supports public universities so I don't know what they're squawking about.
Agreed. They may have a point- USC's strategy has been successful, but there seems to be some momentum as evidenced by the surge in OOS applicants over the past couple years. I think they need to start curtailing the discounts over time by raising the standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 PM

616 posts, read 454,997 times
Quote:
The State barely supports public universities so I don't know what they're squawking about.
Our lovely GOP general assembly members think they pay for all operations of Universities for some reason. Someone made a comment to me once about the fact that so many students are from out of state. They were upset and said, "it's the University of South Carolina, an opportunity for students from South Carolina, not other states." I just said, "if I paid 20% of your bills, would you let me control your life?" Needless to say, they didn't understand my point.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:17 PM

616 posts, read 454,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Nnoooo i was hoping for that project down there. I hope something else wants to develop there soon. That part of of Columbia is ready for development. I want to see Downtown connect to the Stadium area with Apartments shops mixed use etc
I think the plan was a poor fit from the start. Now that the City is working on the Rocky Branch Greenway with the EPA, maybe a cohesive plan can be put in place that actually makes since and is appropriate for the scale of the neighborhood.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 PM

751 posts, read 482,238 times
Didn't know where to post this. I was looking for a West Columbia thread but i guess this will do.

Business Is Booming In West Columbia | wltx.com

( Sent from WLTX 19 )

Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 PM

6,635 posts, read 14,138,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Agreed. They may have a point- USC's strategy has been successful, but there seems to be some momentum as evidenced by the surge in OOS applicants over the past couple years. I think they need to start curtailing the discounts over time by raising the standards.
They raise the standards by admitting more out of state students.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:33 PM

6,635 posts, read 14,138,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Our lovely GOP general assembly members think they pay for all operations of Universities for some reason. Someone made a comment to me once about the fact that so many students are from out of state. They were upset and said, "it's the University of South Carolina, an opportunity for students from South Carolina, not other states." I just said, "if I paid 20% of your bills, would you let me control your life?" Needless to say, they didn't understand my point.
I agree and the old 20% rule doesn't even fly, anymore. I think it's more like 10% now.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:00 AM

127 posts, read 98,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Nnoooo i was hoping for that project down there. I hope something else wants to develop there soon. That part of of Columbia is ready for development. I want to see Downtown connect to the Stadium area with Apartments shops mixed use etc
I just want to see Capital City Stadium torn down. It is such an eye sore.

University should buy it and make it a student parking lot with a shuttle stop, similar to the student parking lot on Barnwell St. It'd help offset the loss of parking spaces by the Coliseum.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
They raise the standards by admitting more out of state students.
Sorry, I meant the standards for receiving in-state tuition waivers. Right now any scholarship above $600 (I believe) automatically triggers in-state tuition. Raising this to, say, $2,000 would cut down on the number of waivers. Of course this may impact recruiting- many people come to USC because it's cheaper than Penn State, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Maryland, etc- but the school really is losing out on a lot of potential revenue.

The reason lawmakers are so alarmed right now is that the percentage of OOS students in the freshman class breached 50% two years ago. While the school overall is still majority SC (thanks to transfers), it is still disconcerting for them to see those numbers. The legislature may not have much of a leg to stand on with their measly 10% contribution, but it still control the purse strings.

Oh and just to be clear, I was OOS at USC and got a full ride thanks in part to the policy. I saw plenty of students whose SAT scores were only marginally higher than the SC average qualify for the waiver, so I think the policy may be overused.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegarbbq11 View Post

University should buy it and make it a student parking lot with a shuttle stop, similar to the student parking lot on Barnwell St. It'd help offset the loss of parking spaces by the Coliseum.
Not a parking lot! Assembly is such a high profile street, especially during football season. If you revisit Sasaki's master plan for the school, you will see that the goal was to turn the Kroger lot and the land across the street (the deal currently being held hostage by the state) into intramural fields. Of course this plan changed slightly when the school bought the quarry expansion land behind the football practice fields, but still might be in play if the school can shift the quarry entirely land to the athletics department since the sports side is clearly flush with cash.

http://sc.edu/about/offices_and_divi...ainability.pdf

Old 07-13-2017, 06:43 PM

751 posts, read 482,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegarbbq11 View Post

No on parking lots Columbia has too many of those time to fill in those lots with dense projects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or