U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM

83 posts, read 155,051 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see more of the "donut holes" filled in first; after that focus on expanding outward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM

27,712 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post
I'd like to see more of the "donut holes" filled in first; after that focus on expanding outward.
Every year, there's a proposal to modify the existing annexation laws to at least make it easier for the city to annex "donut holes" but it never really goes anywhere. Glenn McConnell seems to have been the hold up on that front, but now that he doesn't wield the power that he once did, maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel on this front.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM

9,474 posts, read 13,161,108 times
It's not a sexy subject, but after years of neglect and robbing Peter to pay Paul, the City of Columbia is going to be getting a spiffy new sewage system to the tune of $750 million.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM

5,733 posts, read 8,798,545 times
Default College Town USA

More luxury student housing for downtown.. USC now wants in... Will be nearly 2500 units completed by this time in 2015,...I pray pray pray to God that USC enrollment doesnt drop because I wonder how long the "luxury" will remain in these units....

COLUMBIA, SC: USC plans luxury student apartments | Business | The State

Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM

6,524 posts, read 13,694,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
More luxury student housing for downtown.. USC now wants in... Will be nearly 2500 units completed by this time in 2015,...I pray pray pray to God that USC enrollment doesnt drop because I wonder how long the "luxury" will remain in these units....

It's not like all of these apartments have to be occupied by students, they are just marketed to them. Any of us could live there if we desired.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 PM

876 posts, read 1,215,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It's not like all of these apartments have to be occupied by students, they are just marketed to them. Any of us could live there if we desired.
Yep... people are missing that point! Also, anyone else think it's annoying that when The State talks about off campus apartments, they call them dorms but when USC is basically making dorms, they call them luxury apartments. The newspaper seems to have a love affair with the university.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM

937 posts, read 938,286 times
Default Newspaper is cmtrolled by USC

Anybody following the spurrier/ Ron Morris debacle?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,762,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

Carolina's enrollment is somewhere in the 31-32k range. With SC's growth and the steady increase in Carolina applications (especially from places like Charlotte) I don't see a driver that will reduce enrollment materially (outside of the state allowing Carolina to raise tuition to the level of Clemson and Winthrop). If college enrollment drops in SC, it will be at the smaller regional schools. There is an article in today's observer about NC consolidating some of the smaller state colleges that are experiencing a decline in enrollment.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,423,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Yep... people are missing that point! Also, anyone else think it's annoying that when The State talks about off campus apartments, they call them dorms but when USC is basically making dorms, they call them luxury apartments. The newspaper seems to have a love affair with the university.
They had the Corporate Tuesday event at the Capital City Club Tuesday and the spotlight speaker was the leasing agent from the Hub at Columbia and the first thing she said and wanted to make clear was that these are not college dorms, they are luxury apartments open to anyone who wants to live there.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:16 PM

9,474 posts, read 13,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
They had the Corporate Tuesday event at the Capital City Club Tuesday and the spotlight speaker was the leasing agent from the Hub at Columbia and the first thing she said and wanted to make clear was that these are not college dorms, they are luxury apartments open to anyone who wants to live there.
Fantastic. I would think a lot of young professionals will take the bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or