U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 PM

8,969 posts, read 7,745,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This should be one big NOTHINGBURGER with cheese... The City needs to work with the owner to identify another parcel in a more appropriate area and relocate the plant. There could be local and state incentives to help facilitate this and likely a potential developer who might be interested in their current property.. West Cola may not have an economic development machine like Columbia but I am sure Lexington County and even the State Economic Development arm could assist.... There are plenty of options out near I-26.. ideally they should want to keep them in West Columbia proper.
I believe they raise their chickens in the Batesville/Leesburg area. I wonder why not relocate the processing plant closer to the source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM

975 posts, read 1,900,553 times
I would imagine it has to do with both money and permitting. Building a new processing plant somewhere else would be very expensive and the profit from the sale of the existing property probably wouldn't come close to covering it. Then there is the matter of regulatory compliance...I would imagine that opening a new plant would require jumping through a million hoops and all that comes into play only after you deal with all the NIMBY people who might live anywhere around the new location.

I don't' see them moving unless the state and county come together with some sort of fast track approvals, permit waivers, utility concessions, multi year tax breaks and more.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,414,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I would imagine it has to do with both money and permitting. Building a new processing plant somewhere else would be very expensive and the profit from the sale of the existing property probably wouldn't come close to covering it. Then there is the matter of regulatory compliance...I would imagine that opening a new plant would require jumping through a million hoops and all that comes into play only after you deal with all the NIMBY people who might live anywhere around the new location.

I don't' see them moving unless the state and county come together with some sort of fast track approvals, permit waivers, utility concessions, multi year tax breaks and more.

Do you think they are "grandfathered" in where they currently are? The Vista and the surrounding area has changed from industrial to residential mixed use... Canalside is right across the river not to mention the condos next door and luxury homes less than a mile south. Also, more and more people are starting to use the river for recreation. I don't know anything about the operation of that plant.. but if they are discharging anything into the river (or taking water out of it) I can imagine at some point (if not already) it may become illegal or at least no longer palatable. The odor alone should cause others to rethink that use at that location from a regulatory standpoint....

I think you are right in that the right people, likely from the State along with State and local politicos, are not around the table or have no interest in getting around it for whatever reason.. It seems like something that could be a "win win" if there is enough political will and $$$ to find another location and to redevelop the existing site for other uses.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 PM

423 posts, read 249,626 times
The Saluda Riverwalk finally broke ground! To be honest, I thought it was already under construction. Still, this is going to be a great form of public access to the river and will be a great news story for those questioning the efficacy of the Richland County Penny Tax.

http://www.coladaily.com/wp-content/...River-plan.png

Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM

326 posts, read 379,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
The Saluda Riverwalk finally broke ground! To be honest, I thought it was already under construction. Still, this is going to be a great form of public access to the river and will be a great news story for those questioning the efficacy of the Richland County Penny Tax.

http://www.coladaily.com/wp-content/...River-plan.png
Nice. Now if only they persuade ICRC, or whoever was Going to connect that path to the dam, to jump back on that would be awesome.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 PM

751 posts, read 486,778 times
Here comes the complaining already.

Citizens Concerned About River Lasers | News | free-times.com

Old 07-27-2017, 05:52 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,414,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Was the public consulted on this? Seems like some outreach may have helped...but then again.....if bats and birds change their hunting grounds because of it and start to antagonize the people of the left bank....all hell will break loose

Old 07-27-2017, 06:40 AM

9,634 posts, read 13,793,867 times
As a tree-lover I'm not a fan of lights in trees year-round, and as a river-lover I don't think I'd be down with this for ten years either.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:52 PM

751 posts, read 486,778 times
USC OK’s $460 million student housing project

USC approves $460 million 'Campus Village' student housing project | The State

Old 08-19-2017, 12:26 AM

6,647 posts, read 14,174,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Hopefully that will provide construction jobs for many of the people laid off by SCE&G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or