U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-02-2017, 07:28 AM
 
6,177 posts, read 9,400,688 times
Reputation: 1791

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Won’t happen. “Developer” is a mortician, this project doesn’t stand a chance. Nothing but a dream...
Wow maybe he should build a cemetery instead. Lol. I agree with you in that location alone won't be enough to compel people to live there. As others have said the city is way too fractured for a city of our size. You have so many areas competing for the same demographic and most don't have the things that that sought after demographic wants. If this developer is serious. He should focus on workforce housing with middle income midrange cost housing along with maybe a large component for seniors and retirees that are within that same income range. That too would be a nice and much needed development for folks wanting to live intown without paying a premium to do so. The retail could serve the development and all of Greenview along with Columbia parts of north Columbia and lower north Richland county which is currently deprived of service retail. As others have said we need to stop trying to build "attractions" and build for those who live and work in Columbia and are looking for a nice new affordable community to move to inside the city. I would love to see a development like Laurel Hill with maybe a small lake sidewalks and connectivity to a retail village along Noth Main. Nice and simple but practical affordable and the creation of an Intown urban style neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2017, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Columbia,SC
751 posts, read 485,597 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think you're confusing new development with jobs.

And I know you're young and love the hustle and bustle of a growing city (as do many others), but a city's first priority is to take care of existing residents and businesses.

And again, you're young; instead of waiting around for Columbia to become this booming metropolis, you should seriously think about moving to a bigger city that already has what you want. You can always move back to Columbia down the road when it has enough to satisfy you but as it stands, it sounds like you're just wishing your life away and you're too young to do that.
Actually I'm planning to move into Center City now because I actually love living in Columbia and I actually want to be part of the change. I think providing ideas like I have done before can change things for the better.
. Remember COMET the idea I came up with that the city use. That's what's keeping me here

Also I can't just up and move to another city like that. That require money and if I can barely move out my parents what makes you think I can move to a more expensive City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 AM
 
29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Actually I'm planning to move into Center City now because I actually love living in Columbia and I actually want to be part of the change. I think providing ideas like I have done before can change things for the better.
. Remember COMET the idea I came up with that the city use. That's what's keeping me here
I understand that, but I just think you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. I expect Columbia to keep growing at a healthy pace over the next several years but don't hold your breath hoping for an explosion of development a la Charlotte or Atlanta. I wouldn't bet on that happening and it seems that's what you want to see happen. I'd move somewhere to enjoy the mass transit, pro sports, building booms, etc. while I'm young.

Quote:
Also I can't just up and move to another city like that. That require money and if I can barely move out my parents what makes you think I can move to a more expensive City.
I didn't say up and move today or even in the next couple of months. Save up your money and develop a plan. Get roommates. Live near bus/rail lines. Establish a budget and stick to it. It's doable; you have young people who move to NYC all the time just for the experience and they are far from affluent, but they make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 08:55 AM
 
29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wow maybe he should build a cemetery instead. Lol. I agree with you in that location alone won't be enough to compel people to live there. As others have said the city is way too fractured for a city of our size. You have so many areas competing for the same demographic and most don't have the things that that sought after demographic wants. If this developer is serious. He should focus on workforce housing with middle income midrange cost housing along with maybe a large component for seniors and retirees that are within that same income range. That too would be a nice and much needed development for folks wanting to live intown without paying a premium to do so. The retail could serve the development and all of Greenview along with Columbia parts of north Columbia and lower north Richland county which is currently deprived of service retail. As others have said we need to stop trying to build "attractions" and build for those who live and work in Columbia and are looking for a nice new affordable community to move to inside the city. I would love to see a development like Laurel Hill with maybe a small lake sidewalks and connectivity to a retail village along Noth Main. Nice and simple but practical affordable and the creation of an Intown urban style neighborhood
Yeah that plan is WAY too ambitious for the location; honestly, it might be too ambitious for practically any location in the metro. It sounds like a mini-Bull Street development except it's from scratch. He needs to drastically scale down to make this workable and consider a location on north Main closer to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 AM
 
421 posts, read 248,598 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
What do you mean by "Kline is not happening?" Do you mean student housing. There is a zoning hearing sign for the small project that the developer can get funding to build. It still leaves 4 acres for later development, so the possibility of the project ending up like it was planned could still happen, if the success of the smaller project allows for funding. No one wants to build parking ramps right now.
I mean we need to be honest about it not coming to fruition. The developers started from the position of Kline being a profitable development, then scaled back the design, then petitioned the city for a city-funded parking garage. It's clear that the economics either are not where they thought they would be or the nationwide increase in construction costs (since the end of the recession, when I believe this was proposed) have made the proposed development unfeasible.

There are two ways this would change: a substantial increase in average rent (unlikely given the lack of price pressure) or a marked decrease in construction costs (unlikely unless we experience a recession, which would kill the development). I just don't see anything resembling the original plan being built in the foreseeable future.

Also I think we're also talking past each other- the student housing isn't on the Kline site, it's across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,631 posts, read 13,780,229 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Columbia does have a downtown you know. You may have forgotten since you moved down to Chaaaaaalstun.
Yes it does, but it still isn’t connected in a contiguous way with the other areas that draw people, so the vibe is still diluted compared to what it would be if development and renovated areas were better connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 01:11 PM
 
29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Yes it does, but it still isn’t connected in a contiguous way with the other areas that draw people, so the vibe is still diluted compared to what it would be if development and renovated areas were better connected.
Which "other areas that draw people"? I thought you just said "no one area has truly ever had a turn at being something that attracts a critical mass of people daily or nightly on a consistent basis"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Columbia,SC
751 posts, read 485,597 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which "other areas that draw people"? I thought you just said "no one area has truly ever had a turn at being something that attracts a critical mass of people daily or nightly on a consistent basis"?
Five Points, The Vista I believe drew in a great crowd.

I believe the a Riverfront is the next draw, then Bull Street.

Not even Charlotte has a critical Mass crowd drawer yes they have South End and NoDa and Uptown but Columbia in my opinion draws in a great amount daily also in the 3 big districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 03:18 PM
 
123 posts, read 100,482 times
Reputation: 31
Look at the development overview of this development. It's not bull street or Killian. It's small and is more like a planned neighborhood. I'm sure it will have a huge affordability push. It's privately funded too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,631 posts, read 13,780,229 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which "other areas that draw people"? I thought you just said "no one area has truly ever had a turn at being something that attracts a critical mass of people daily or nightly on a consistent basis"?
We all know which areas draw people. The critical mass of people “daily and nightly on a consistent basis” part is lacking compared to what it could be if the city weren’t so broken up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top