U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-20-2017, 02:58 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,891,788 times
Reputation: 3491

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Ok so the Carolina Panthers is being sold. I know this may be far fetch but hey I never thought we'll have a pro baseball team.

Maybe who every buys the team i think Columbia should try to get them to come here to Columbia. It's not far from Charlotte and it could bring in all the sweet sweet panther cash to Columbia.

Screw USC in them more then likely protesting against this but it's our city not the University's and the city shouldn't listen to USC and push to bring them here which in my opinion would be the attraction that would draw in people here.

Now my question is where will they build the stadium. Obviously USC isn't gonna let them use William Brice even if it's temporary. They said no back when the team was first created and supposed to be in Columbia for a short time.

Location near downtown, great stadium design with a local attraction, Draw for business to the area. It's a Win win win if Columbia could somehow convince who everys buying to bring them here.
Columbia has a pro team? Isn't MLB "pro?" Moving the Panthers there would make no sense. And to be honest you shouldn't want it. Charlotte is the perfect city for them, pretty equidistant to most Carolinians, and the Panthers culture is already embedded into the city.

If the Panthers just packed up and moved to Columbia or Greensboro or something, it'd feel pretty artificial in my opinion. I agree that maybe training camp could work.

I don't think the new owner will move them anyway. There's nowhere to move them too, unless you'd like to lose money. The NFL got what they wanted out of LA and Vegas, I think they'll be content for a while.

I don't think SC will ever get a pro franchise anytime soon 1. because Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville are all basically the same size and are all mid-size markets, and 2. Charlotte is sitting right there on the border. We're basically a Virginia. Imo MLB will eventually call Charlotte home and there's the possibility of MLS.

I like your ambition though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
8,993 posts, read 7,766,040 times
Reputation: 12226
USC would work behind the scenes (as they do now) to be sure nothing happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 09:15 AM
 
1,387 posts, read 1,272,082 times
Reputation: 250
Merry Christmas to all y’all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Irmo, SC
1,556 posts, read 1,436,405 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Merry Christmas to all yíall!!!
Same to you dude! I wanted a 50 storey mixed use building building for downtown... Didnít get it this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Columbia,SC
752 posts, read 488,516 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Same to you dude! I wanted a 50 storey mixed use building building for downtown... Didnít get it this year
Same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 AM
 
6,192 posts, read 9,424,746 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
USC would work behind the scenes (as they do now) to be sure nothing happens.


LOL.. exactly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 05:11 PM
 
26 posts, read 17,292 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Ok so the Carolina Panthers is being sold. I know this may be far fetch but hey I never thought we'll have a pro baseball team.

Maybe who every buys the team i think Columbia should try to get them to come here to Columbia. It's not far from Charlotte and it could bring in all the sweet sweet panther cash to Columbia.

Screw USC in them more then likely protesting against this but it's our city not the University's and the city shouldn't listen to USC and push to bring them here which in my opinion would be the attraction that would draw in people here.

Now my question is where will they build the stadium. Obviously USC isn't gonna let them use William Brice even if it's temporary. They said no back when the team was first created and supposed to be in Columbia for a short time.

Location near downtown, great stadium design with a local attraction, Draw for business to the area. It's a Win win win if Columbia could somehow convince who everys buying to bring them here.
lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Irmo, SC
1,556 posts, read 1,436,405 times
Reputation: 372
Didn’t Columbia send a proposal for the HQ of Amazon? I remember it being a long shot but still some hope due to the fact we have the distribution center here. It looks like they’ve narrowed the list and let’s face it, the smallest city to make the cut comparable to Columbia was Raleigh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...hq2-to-20.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
23 posts, read 15,384 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Didnít Columbia send a proposal for the HQ of Amazon? I remember it being a long shot but still some hope due to the fact we have the distribution center here. It looks like theyíve narrowed the list and letís face it, the smallest city to make the cut comparable to Columbia was Raleigh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...hq2-to-20.html
I mean there's absolutely no incentive to come here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 02:01 PM
 
6,192 posts, read 9,424,746 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmp98 View Post
I mean there's absolutely no incentive to come here


I guess you mean literally and financially??? Maryland is putting up like $5Billion in incentives (Im sure over time) for Montgomery County, MD (Rockville).. In fact DC technically has three opportunities to land it.. Suburban Maryland, DC proper, and Northern VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top