U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 07:52 AM

37,241 posts, read 37,993,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
One difference might be the out-of-state to in-state conversion rate. USC has one of the higher out-of-state student percentages in the country and many recent grads establish residency for in-state tuition or once they get a job locally post-grad.
That's a good point and is probably a contributing factor.

Edit: Apparently half of USC's freshmen class is from out of state. Didn't know it was quite that high. https://graphiq-stories.graphiq.com/...freshmen#Intro

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-24-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 15,790,736 times
College students are counted in the population where they live on the census date, which is in April for the regular census.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:56 AM

673 posts, read 464,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a good point and is probably a contributing factor.

Edit: Apparently half of USC's freshmen class is from out of state. Didn't know it was quite that high. https://graphiq-stories.graphiq.com/...freshmen#Intro
It's actually even higher now- the 2016 class was 53.1% out of state.

Online Fact Book - Office of Institutional Research, Assessment, and Analytics | University of South Carolina

Quote:
College students are counted in the population where they live on the census date, which is in April for the regular census.
That is true on paper, but they were often double counted at their college address and their permanent home. The census added a clarifying question in 2010 since it was become a big problem with so many students choosing colleges in other states.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:38 PM

1,071 posts, read 808,732 times
A little birdie told me that CSX is planning to abandon their tracks here in Columbia in the next few years. Also CSX announce they are selling a lot of their tracks 8000+ miles to be exact.

I wonder if the city knew about this and that's why they were saying that they are going to be about to use these tracks very soon for Commuter Rail services.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 PM

7,700 posts, read 12,006,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
A little birdie told me that CSX is planning to abandon their tracks here in Columbia in the next few years. Also CSX announce they are selling a lot of their tracks 8000+ miles to be exact.

I wonder if the city knew about this and that's why they were saying that they are going to be about to use these tracks very soon for Commuter Rail services.

Interesting.. I would be surprised if it will be any of the routes in Columbia would be affected.. If you see the attached map.. I could see them abandoning many of these spur lines especially ones going to plants or factories that have downsized or no longer need rail.. Also connector lines like the one from Greenwood via Chester to Monroe NC.. could likely go away.

Columbia has major yard operations and is a connection to two major ports in Charleston and Savannah for points NW.. That said, if a line were to go out of service it would likely be the one that Amtrak uses the runs NE of the City to Camden.. If it does fold.. Amtrak Service to Columbia would be history.. unless it came in from Charlotte.. which would be better in my opinion and lend itself to regional rail. I could see them nixing the Camden Route all the way to Raleigh.. Amtrak Service there could still continue via the Carolinian and the Crescent and if someone wanted to go to Florida from Raleigh.. it would be a quick drive over to Selma Smithfield or Wilson to get the Silver Meteor.. In fact the Silver Star could be re routed via Raleigh Charlotte Columbia and then resume its regular route to Denmark and Savannah.. The only cities to suffer would be Camden, Hamlet, NC, and Southern Pines, NC...which isn't saying much given that Raleigh and Charlotte would gain a third interstate train service AND you would connect Charlotte with Florida which is currently not an option via Amtrak. I could see that being more profitable for families going to see the Mouse or Universal Studios (from Charlotte) which may be cheaper than flying and less hectic than driving

https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/custom...sx-system-map/

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-26-2018 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 01:32 PM

7,700 posts, read 12,006,241 times
Default Richland Renaissance

I read that this project only includes the three anchor stores which are individually owned and not the "mall" itself? That seems odd.. No wonder that mall was in bad shape.. who would buy into that set up because if whomever owns the anchors is just sitting on them and moth balling them.. then that impacts the person that owns the "mall" since the anchors are what drives foot traffic... I guess they will either let the "mall" stay and hope that the COunty's presence increases foot traffic and business or they will buy that too and tear it down and create somewhat of a "courtyard" in between the three anchor stores and have a true government complex and civic center for "downtown richland county"

Old 01-27-2018, 08:30 PM

9,178 posts, read 6,226,426 times
Quote:

I thought you were going to say they would be converted to Rails to Trails!

Old 01-28-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I thought you were going to say they would be converted to Rails to Trails!
Oh God ew i hope they don't do that. I hope they add trails best to the track though especially if it's gonna be commuter rail running on it.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:02 PM

Ok so they've cut down all the trees along 277 I'm curious what they are doing. There's a lot of equipment out there like they are about to do a widening project or something.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,686,813 times
Quote:
Ok so they've cut down all the trees along 277 I'm curious what they are doing. There's a lot of equipment out there like they are about to do a widening project or something.
They’ve been clearing trees for safety with the new added money. They’ve been doing that’s along a lot of highways around the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area