U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 01:47 PM

37,250 posts, read 38,092,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Haywood Mall isn’t very far from downtown Greenville and the condensed pocket of wealth he mentioned, though, right?
It's not but more importantly, I'm betting that Haywood Mall is more accessible to several of the region's largest pockets of wealth than Columbiana is. I think Northeast Columbia in particular is too far removed from the Irmo area and Lexington for Columbia to land some of the retailers it should already have, but that number is declining as time goes on and the region continues to grow. Columbia might have been behind the curve when it came to landing Whole Foods, Costco, etc. but it eventually got them and I'm sure the same will be true of Apple.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:38 AM

7,716 posts, read 12,035,405 times
This writer must lurk on city data because this sounds like an issue that was raised on here. It's funny the mayor Steve seems to be on board with the fun too

Columbia or Greenville: Who has more Main Street restaurants? We checked it out | The State

Old 02-01-2018, 01:03 PM

292 posts, read 796,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
my question is how does Trees in the middle is a safety concern?
A tree doesn't give if a car hit it. About 15mths ago I was driving from Charleston to Columbia on I-26. This truck with a kayak on it was driving slow so I passed him and didn't think anything of it. He zoomed past me about 10 mile later near the Ridgeland area. He slowed up again and then must have nodded off because I saw the truck veer to the left across a lane and fly off the road hitting a tree in the median. I hurried to the next exit and turned around to get back to the scene to help. The kayak was in the trees and one of the passengers was on the group passed out. The driver somehow was ok...just a scratch on his face and arms and a broken finger. If that was a barrier instead of a tree then that accident wouldn't have been bad.

I had a classmate from Highschool move to a new school after his junior year. His father got him a classic Z28 with T tops. He lost control...hit a tree in the median and they found his body on a tree branch.

I hope that helps with the safety concern...sorry if it's morbid sounding

Old 02-01-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
A tree doesn't give if a car hit it. About 15mths ago I was driving from Charleston to Columbia on I-26. This truck with a kayak on it was driving slow so I passed him and didn't think anything of it. He zoomed past me about 10 mile later near the Ridgeland area. He slowed up again and then must have nodded off because I saw the truck veer to the left across a lane and fly off the road hitting a tree in the median. I hurried to the next exit and turned around to get back to the scene to help. The kayak was in the trees and one of the passengers was on the group passed out. The driver somehow was ok...just a scratch on his face and arms and a broken finger. If that was a barrier instead of a tree then that accident wouldn't have been bad.

I had a classmate from Highschool move to a new school after his junior year. His father got him a classic Z28 with T tops. He lost control...hit a tree in the median and they found his body on a tree branch.

I hope that helps with the safety concern...sorry if it's morbid sounding

YIKES..Sorry about your friend... I too have know people when I was in high school who have crashed and died ironically under similar circumstance.. Parents buying them a fast car...My classmate had a Pontiac Fiero which was obliterated when it hit a tree......Thats why I hate 95 running through SC.. Its easy to get a case of Highway Hypnosis and potentially run off the road or hit a dear.. Atleast when there is steady traffic or you are going around or between urban areas.. it keeps your mind active and alert instead of the steady bumping of the gaps in the highway....SMH..

Old 02-01-2018, 05:07 PM

12,103 posts, read 17,126,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This writer must lurk on city data because this sounds like an issue that was raised on here. It's funny the mayor Steve seems to be on board with the fun too

Columbia or Greenville: Who has more Main Street restaurants? We checked it out | The State
Benjamin said Columbia’s Main Street and the Vista. That means all of the Vista, not just Gervais and near Gervais. Also, the writer apparently forgot that Main Street also runs south of the capitol to include California Dreaming.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 AM

175 posts, read 185,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
YIKES..Sorry about your friend... I too have know people when I was in high school who have crashed and died ironically under similar circumstance.. Parents buying them a fast car...My classmate had a Pontiac Fiero which was obliterated when it hit a tree......Thats why I hate 95 running through SC.. Its easy to get a case of Highway Hypnosis and potentially run off the road or hit a dear.. Atleast when there is steady traffic or you are going around or between urban areas.. it keeps your mind active and alert instead of the steady bumping of the gaps in the highway....SMH..
Hwy 378 at the Wateree River/Swamp is dangerous for this same reason. When driving late at night during light traffic all you got is darkness and trees on both sides of the road and only the car radio or talking with a passenger to keep you alert

Old 02-03-2018, 02:05 PM

9,198 posts, read 6,259,169 times
Quote:
Ok so they've cut down all the trees along 277 I'm curious what they are doing. There's a lot of equipment out there like they are about to do a widening project or something.
Just drove by there. If you were referring to the median on the southern end of 277, I believe they were just pruning those trees. I'm not sure what the species of plant/tree they are, but we have some at my apartment complex and they did the same thing this winter.

I would bet come spring/summer those trees will grow like weeds. If they were really removing the trees in the median, they would have taken everything, including the root ball out of the ground.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Hwy 378 at the Wateree River/Swamp is dangerous for this same reason. When driving late at night during light traffic all you got is darkness and trees on both sides of the road and only the car radio or talking with a passenger to keep you alert

Yeah.. that is a horrible stretch... if not for worry of hitting dears, wild hogs or the Lizard Man..... certainly for falling asleep if you are unfortunate to have that happen to you.. You can run off into the swamp and not be discovered until the next day or longer if no one see it happen.....I would hate to have to change my tire in that stretch.. for fear of being the star in my own personal horror film...

Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 PM

1,076 posts, read 811,960 times
Ok so I just got back from a COMET Public Meeting. and we were discussion the new Northwest Bus routes that are gonna be implemented starting May. but while I was there I decided to get deeper into more information on the status on Posible Rail transit in Columbia and its........ kinda bad but could be good also. Ok so starting off the City and COMET has pretty much landed a location for the new Intermodal Transit Center and its gonna be in the same location the current one is. their clsoes second location is gonna be where that Concrete plant is at on Taylor and Harden St.

Now I asked him about the Rail service possibility and he said that they are ready to start and have the plans ready and even had a meeting with an infrastructure company by the name of AECOM http://www.aecom.com/ they build infrastructure for stuff like Rail transit cool. the biggest problem now is CSX now not wanting to give up their tracks. so the couple hundred million for the Commuter Rail just went up to over 1billion+. He told me that They are looking into options now to build a whole new track that run along side the Freight all brand new from scratch and that took the cost up quick. and another thing is that the state refuses to fund a project that big. thats why even places like Charleston and Greenville can't get rail transit off the ground and it's the reason why they said the City and COMET wants to build the Transit Center in the same location in downtown since it's looking like it might be 20-50 years before we can get funding for rail transit.

Now another thing he did say they could get a private Public partnership to fund a rail project and that is one of their options but for now it's looking kinda long waiting (Which in my opinion is gonna be bad for Columbia and the Metro in the future since Traffic is getting bad and the population is growing faster then ever. people are eventually gonna get fed up and leave because of the limited Transit options) Which brings me to my second thing I found out which sounds really great.

Lexington County is now starting to warm up on the idea of finally bringing the buses back. what embarrassed them and really hit them hard was Amazons decision not to open a second location in Lexington County because of the lack of transit and saying that a lot of openings aren't being filled because people are being limited because of no bus option. and it isn't just amazon a bunch of businesses in lexington county and factories are saying they want transit to their areas because its limiting their employment options.

last thing They are adding 153 new Bus Shelters all over the city at bus stops. so good news on that.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Ok so I just got back from a COMET Public Meeting. and we were discussion the new Northwest Bus routes that are gonna be implemented starting May. but while I was there I decided to get deeper into more information on the status on Posible Rail transit in Columbia and its........ kinda bad but could be good also. Ok so starting off the City and COMET has pretty much landed a location for the new Intermodal Transit Center and its gonna be in the same location the current one is. their clsoes second location is gonna be where that Concrete plant is at on Taylor and Harden St.

Now I asked him about the Rail service possibility and he said that they are ready to start and have the plans ready and even had a meeting with an infrastructure company by the name of AECOM http://www.aecom.com/ they build infrastructure for stuff like Rail transit cool. the biggest problem now is CSX now not wanting to give up their tracks. so the couple hundred million for the Commuter Rail just went up to over 1billion+. He told me that They are looking into options now to build a whole new track that run along side the Freight all brand new from scratch and that took the cost up quick. and another thing is that the state refuses to fund a project that big. thats why even places like Charleston and Greenville can't get rail transit off the ground and it's the reason why they said the City and COMET wants to build the Transit Center in the same location in downtown since it's looking like it might be 20-50 years before we can get funding for rail transit.

Now another thing he did say they could get a private Public partnership to fund a rail project and that is one of their options but for now it's looking kinda long waiting (Which in my opinion is gonna be bad for Columbia and the Metro in the future since Traffic is getting bad and the population is growing faster then ever. people are eventually gonna get fed up and leave because of the limited Transit options) Which brings me to my second thing I found out which sounds really great.

Lexington County is now starting to warm up on the idea of finally bringing the buses back. what embarrassed them and really hit them hard was Amazons decision not to open a second location in Lexington County because of the lack of transit and saying that a lot of openings aren't being filled because people are being limited because of no bus option. and it isn't just amazon a bunch of businesses in lexington county and factories are saying they want transit to their areas because its limiting their employment options.

last thing They are adding 153 new Bus Shelters all over the city at bus stops. so good news on that.

Interesting.. but not surprising.. CSX likely wants to kick Amtrak off of their tracks after this accident in Lexington.. They are going to get sued and all the bad press will likely make them even more opposed to commuter rail. The City is in effect writing off commuter rail by keeping the location on Laurel Street since even if commuter rail becomes an option.. that location does nothing to benefit rail service. The Concrete Plant on Harden is a better location, but again.. the plant has to be purchased torn down.. site remediated and is not the most central location.. but I guess it would still work. Surprised they didn't opt for a site in the Vista there were several sites down there not to mention the underground track lends itself to be decked over with an aerial station that connects to the streets on both sides of the tracks... Could be a real cool project.. take up less space in terms of actual land area, share parking with a new public garage in a new development or existing surface lot.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area