U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 09:06 PM

750 posts, read 481,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting.. but not surprising.. CSX likely wants to kick Amtrak off of their tracks after this accident in Lexington.. They are going to get sued and all the bad press will likely make them even more opposed to commuter rail. The City is in effect writing off commuter rail by keeping the location on Laurel Street since even if commuter rail becomes an option.. that location does nothing to benefit rail service. The Concrete Plant on Harden is a better location, but again.. the plant has to be purchased torn down.. site remediated and is not the most central location.. but I guess it would still work. Surprised they didn't opt for a site in the Vista there were several sites down there not to mention the underground track lends itself to be decked over with an aerial station that connects to the streets on both sides of the tracks... Could be a real cool project.. take up less space in terms of actual land area, share parking with a new public garage in a new development or existing surface lot.......
if you go to CMCOG website and look for the Transit Center study its a 119 page pdf in their they show 21 sites for proposed transit centers and they do have that site in the Vista as a spot also. Now in their report they did Say that quick connection to the Amtrak Station is key still. it may not be the Transit Center but would be somewhats like a Second Center in downtown. the guy yesterday did Tell me that if and when Commuter Rail service do come to Columbia that they do want make sure they are somewhats close to each other so the Transit Center on Sumter and the Plant on Harden are only like what 6 blocks from each other and an easy connecting bus from the transit center to a possible Train Station Center would be perfect. quick access and easy transfers.

We'll see in the the future because they are still looking into a Columbia-Charlotte Commuter Rail service which I find out in that same study NC,SC and GA are almost finish with a study to build a High Speed Rail -that Connects Charlotte-Atlanta with Greenville as a stop, Atlanta-Chattanoga and of course Columbia-Charlotte line. so if anything that state funding will probably go to that before local transit be funded. which is why I brought up a Private-Public Partnership would be great for columbia right now. have a company fund half of the project to build new tracks that runs from Downtown-Camden and Downtown-Newberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:46 AM

6,147 posts, read 9,357,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
if you go to CMCOG website and look for the Transit Center study its a 119 page pdf in their they show 21 sites for proposed transit centers and they do have that site in the Vista as a spot also. Now in their report they did Say that quick connection to the Amtrak Station is key still. it may not be the Transit Center but would be somewhats like a Second Center in downtown. the guy yesterday did Tell me that if and when Commuter Rail service do come to Columbia that they do want make sure they are somewhats close to each other so the Transit Center on Sumter and the Plant on Harden are only like what 6 blocks from each other and an easy connecting bus from the transit center to a possible Train Station Center would be perfect. quick access and easy transfers.

We'll see in the the future because they are still looking into a Columbia-Charlotte Commuter Rail service which I find out in that same study NC,SC and GA are almost finish with a study to build a High Speed Rail -that Connects Charlotte-Atlanta with Greenville as a stop, Atlanta-Chattanoga and of course Columbia-Charlotte line. so if anything that state funding will probably go to that before local transit be funded. which is why I brought up a Private-Public Partnership would be great for columbia right now. have a company fund half of the project to build new tracks that runs from Downtown-Camden and Downtown-Newberry.

You are way more optimistic than I am.. I have seen Mayors/City Boosters come and go that support rail.. but without the SCDOT and the General Assembly.. its likely a no go. SCDOT seems lukewarm.. the General Assembly... Ice Cold

As I mentioned previously.. at a minimum rerouting the Silver Star from Raleigh-Columbia through Charlotte would be a good start and could build momentum and interest in Regional Rail followed by Commuter Rail locally. I am shocked that Amtrak hasn't jump on the opportunity to connect the Charlotte Metro with Florida which only sacrifices three or four small towns that likely don't amount to a whole lot of ridership anyway.. I suspect it has to do with the NS tracks in between Charlotte and Columbia. About a decade ago when the first rail study was done.. An excursion train carried the Mayor, SCDOT, and other Transportation Planners to Charlotte on this route.. The challenge was the signals needed to upgraded, RR Crossings Signalized and that track curved frequently (which today is a red flag given the amount of Amtrak derailments) and the trip between both cities was twice as long as by car because the top speed was only 55mph. As you mentioned if a public private partnership is established.. then maybe this portion of the route could be upgraded.

To me, if the State and Feds gave corporations that invest in rail a tax break of say $2 for every $1 they invest in a rail segment and allowed for some type of revenue sharing with Amtrak along these routes.. maybe that would cause in influx of cash for these types of projects. Corps looking for a tax break would be allowed to invest in high speed rail lines anywhere they are being planned... The challenge is the GOP tax cut may have taken away some of the wind that could have filled that sail. They could have coupled it with the Infrastructure Bill (public section contribution) that is being discussed and possibly jumpstarted this whole effort.

Last edited by Woodlands; 02-08-2018 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 05:46 PM

Ok so I saw a CSX train down S Assembly Street carrying 2 Passenger Rail coaches. Not amtrak but some other random passenger rail cars.

Very interesting I just wanted to bring that up because I'm curious why was that in Columbia hehe.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Ok so I saw a CSX train down S Assembly Street carrying 2 Passenger Rail coaches. Not amtrak but some other random passenger rail cars.

Very interesting I just wanted to bring that up because I'm curious why was that in Columbia hehe.

Likely private rail cars being moved about.. I see them all the time in Washington Union Station. People rent them out and they can be attached to the back of an Amtrak Train and you basically have your own private carriage from Point A to Point B. People also rent them as stationary reception/party facilities as well. I don't think CSX would allow passengers in them when they are connected to a freight train.. unless its a CSX sponsored function. Therefore..they may simply be shipping it for the owner (as freight) to a location where it will be set up or transferred to the end of an Amtrak Train for private use. Most are nicely refurbished.. if you are a railfan nostalgic for the golden age of rail travel.....

Old 02-15-2018, 09:49 AM

Richland County drops bid for 2nd mall, considers light rail commuter service

Richland County drops efforts to pursue Dutch Square Center | The State

Old 03-08-2018, 04:00 AM

975 posts, read 998,370 times
https://www.free-times.com/food/food...e55793486.html

Steel Hands, will be Columbia’s largest brewery by a wide margin.
Definitely the most ambitious entrant into the Midlands brew scene

Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Richland County drops bid for 2nd mall, considers light rail commuter service

Richland County drops efforts to pursue Dutch Square Center | The State

Good.. they didn't need to buy Dutch Square.. It is likely the more viable of the two and will likely be redeveloped over time...

The Councilperson quoted in this article "hopes" they can use existing railroads for a new light rail. We all know that that is a pipe dream.. Richland County doesn't have enough money to buy an active RR line and turn it into Light Rail. Additionally, using the existing tracks for new light rail technology could be problematic as well..It is more practical and believable to say commuter rail which can use the existing tracks and may only require some signal and crossing upgrades than to mislead the public to think a light rail line can simply be "opened up" on an active freight line....not to mention that light rail typically runs on city streets periodically while the existing tracks in Columbia mostly avoid interacting with the streets except at railroad crossings and service industrial zones of town as opposed to places people really want to go....

Old 03-15-2018, 06:09 PM

Bad News for North Main and Eau Claire maybe a Sav A Lot will open in its place That area needs a grocery store of some sort

BI-LO, Harveys closing stores, including Columbia, others in SC | The State

Old 03-15-2018, 09:34 PM

6,632 posts, read 14,132,531 times
I live near that store, but didn't care for it and haven't been in there for years. The people I feel bad for are those without transportation. There is a Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly not far from there, though.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:41 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,257,500 times
Since we don't have an all inclusive downtown thread I'll stick this here.

https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...22c361344.html

Columbia's starting a bike share program. I'd be really interested to see how this goes and how much use this will get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or