U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,055,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
But the census people say otherwise... And I think whatís killing Cola may be its own Suburbs. Like this year I moved to Irmo from the city. So technically it lost a resident.

These are the census numbers ...that city to suburb effect affects each of the cities in question ... no surprise there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 09:00 AM

9,634 posts, read 13,790,958 times
I was in Columbia Tuesday. Between its population loss and an apparent decrease in its landscaping budget, including tumbleweeds growing in the medians and where flower beds used to be and in some cases still are, it is depressing.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:06 AM

902 posts, read 441,215 times
This does not bode well but I've probably mentioned before that I see so many gamecock car decals and clothes in my area of Atlanta. Columbia needs to start figuring out how to retain its graduates.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:01 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Columbia didn't really lose residents. Remember there's ~90k people in NE who aren't apart of the city, but still have a Columbia address. Plus the donut holes along I26 and Garners Ferry. Columbia seems to be growing out, rather than infilling density.

Columbia is still growing and is much larger than it appears on paper. If this was North Carolina, Columbia would be easily at least 220k-240k, possibly higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
This does not bode well but I've probably mentioned before that I see so many gamecock car decals and clothes in my area of Atlanta. Columbia needs to start figuring out how to retain its graduates.
Atlanta has always been a magnet for USC grads. I agree Cola can try better to retain them, but Atlanta will always be a magnet. Charlotte too. Also if you look at where USC alumni live on LinkedIn, Columbia is easily the #1 city by 28,000 alumni.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:08 PM

975 posts, read 1,002,713 times
Default umm okay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I was in Columbia Tuesday. Between its population loss and an apparent decrease in its landscaping budget, including tumbleweeds growing in the medians and where flower beds used to be and in some cases still are, it is depressing.

Ummm, this is kinda a strange comment. Also I think you've posted pretty much the same thing on three other occasions.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 PM

518 posts, read 219,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
These are the census numbers ...that city to suburb effect affects each of the cities in question ... no surprise there
It honestly happens to lots of places though, as long as the city can bounce back. I think a lot of people are unhappy right now with how their tax dollars are being spent. I also think it might be time for Mr Benjamin and Miss Wilson to go. I personally don’t have a problem with them. It just might be time for new ideas and to change the dynamic a bit. They also need to get to work on those donut holes.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:47 PM

9,634 posts, read 13,790,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Ummm, this is kinda a strange comment. Also I think you've posted pretty much the same thing on three other occasions.
I think you are wrong. The city of Columbia hasnít lost population until this estimate. If I have mentioned the weeds twice before, which I think is also inaccurate, maybe itís time they did something about it.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 PM

751 posts, read 486,475 times
This is disappointing.

After spending $8 million, Richland council kills divisive 'Renaissance' plan

SC's Richland County Council kills 'Renaissance' plan | The State

Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 PM

622 posts, read 458,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I think you are wrong. The city of Columbia hasnít lost population until this estimate. If I have mentioned the weeds twice before, which I think is also inaccurate, maybe itís time they did something about it.
LoL... you so crazy.

Also, these are just census estimates that adjust back to the last decennial census. Reporters love to write stories about this, like someone actually went out and counted... lol. No actual conclusions can be drawn from this data, and it is only used for federal funding purposes. In case you are interested, the following is how the census calculates estimates.

"The Census Bureau's Population Estimates Program produces estimates of the population for the United States, its states, counties, cities and towns, as well as for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and its municipios. Demographic components of population change (births, deaths, and migration) and demographic characteristics (age, sex, race, and Hispanic origin) are produced at the national, state, county, Puerto Rico Commonwealth and muncipio levels of geography. In addition, housing unit estimates are produced for the nation, states, and counties.

Each year, the Population Estimates Program utilizes current data on births, deaths, and migration to calculate population change since the most recent decennial census, and produces a time series of estimates of population. The annual time series of estimates begins with the most recent decennial census data and extends to the vintage year. The vintage year (e.g., V2017) refers to the final year of the time series. The reference date for all estimates is July 1, unless otherwise specified.

With each new issue of estimates, the Census Bureau revises estimates for years back to the last census. As each vintage of estimates includes all years since the most recent decennial census, the latest vintage of data available supersedes all previously produced estimates for those dates.

These estimates are used in federal funding allocations, as denominators for vital rates and per capita time series, as survey controls, and in monitoring recent demographic changes. Although the American Community Survey also produces population, demographic, and housing unit estimates, it is the Population Estimates Program that produces and disseminates the official estimates of the population for the nation, states, counties, cities and towns, and estimates of housing units for states and counties."

Here is the page from the census on growth estimates. You can clearly see the "decrease" is based on a revised growth from 3.2% over the previous 6 years down to 2.5% over the last 7 years:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...lina/BZA210216

Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 PM

622 posts, read 458,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
This is disappointing.

After spending $8 million, Richland council kills divisive 'Renaissance' plan

SC's Richland County Council kills 'Renaissance' plan | The State
The more I learn about this whole thing, the more I think there never really was much of a plan at all. There is still a need for a new courthouse and this will give them more options, maybe even at Bull Street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or