U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 AM

751 posts, read 483,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Some of you may already have seen this, but I completely missed the Gerald Seals drama in the Richland Renaissance story. The county spent $1M on a settlement?!

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...ernment/74527/
Progress was being made then it was halted. Why am I not surprised. Everytime we about to get ahead we get supposed by some nob who Don't want to spend money.

Then what the H*** we're paying taxes for if we can't improve anything.

That's how I see it. We're paying the money so I wasn't to see results and this was a great plan until some person has to ruin it. I think it's time to replace all the old people with newer younger people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:21 AM

419 posts, read 246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Progress was being made then it was halted. Why am I not surprised. Everytime we about to get ahead we get supposed by some nob who Don't want to spend money.

Then what the H*** we're paying taxes for if we can't improve anything.

That's how I see it. We're paying the money so I wasn't to see results and this was a great plan until some person has to ruin it. I think it's time to replace all the old people with newer younger people.
That's not what I'm talking about. Richland Renaissance was a dumb plan from the start and if Seals was fired for moving it forward in completely secrecy and without taxpayer support, all the better. This article better clarifies the discussion:

Richland County SC settles with Seals for nearly $1 million | The State

The $1M payout is completely out of proportion with his salary and tenure. Apparently his contract called for a year's severance and medical if he was fired without cause, which would amount to probably $200k. This in and of itself is overly generous, but makes the $800k overlay payment seem absolutely crazy. He must have threatened to sue the hell out of the commissioners. Still, the county should never have agreed to such a ridiculous golden parachute. Taxpayers should sue for injunction.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:41 PM

975 posts, read 999,715 times
A lot more info on the Devine District apartments & Condos coming to Maple & Devine.

New luxury apartments, retail space heading to Devine Street | The State

One will be built in the parking lot in front of the GranDevine Apartments (the former Schneider School) at the corner of Maple and Devine streets. It will feature 31 units, mostly condominiums, with a few units saved for Airbnb rentals

A larger "L"-shaped structure running from Maple Street toward the Devine Street Fire Station will feature 114 apartments.

The studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments will offer floor plans from 500 to 1,400 square feet and leasing from $1,000 to $2,000 a month, Mundy said. The homes will feature custom wood closets, kitchens with dual-hued cabinetry, quartz counter tops, USB charging stations, modern showers and 10-foot ceilings, he said.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:29 PM

616 posts, read 455,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
That's not what I'm talking about. Richland Renaissance was a dumb plan from the start and if Seals was fired for moving it forward in completely secrecy and without taxpayer support, all the better. This article better clarifies the discussion:

Richland County SC settles with Seals for nearly $1 million | The State

The $1M payout is completely out of proportion with his salary and tenure. Apparently his contract called for a year's severance and medical if he was fired without cause, which would amount to probably $200k. This in and of itself is overly generous, but makes the $800k overlay payment seem absolutely crazy. He must have threatened to sue the hell out of the commissioners. Still, the county should never have agreed to such a ridiculous golden parachute. Taxpayers should sue for injunction.
Is there a court precedence for taxpayer standing in this instance? I feel like court fees to file such a lawsuit, which would most likely end up in the state supreme court may cost more than the possible $3 liability per taxpayer in the county. I don't like it, but I highly doubt any court would find that a settlement of this amount would supersede any possible future damages to a taxpayer, even if she or he were found to have standing in this suit.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:10 AM

419 posts, read 246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Is there a court precedence for taxpayer standing in this instance? I feel like court fees to file such a lawsuit, which would most likely end up in the state supreme court may cost more than the possible $3 liability per taxpayer in the county. I don't like it, but I highly doubt any court would find that a settlement of this amount would supersede any possible future damages to a taxpayer, even if she or he were found to have standing in this suit.
I think the threat of a lawsuit would have a similar impact to an actual lawsuit. I would be pissed were I a Richland County resident that my tax money is being used so frivolously.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:46 PM

6,157 posts, read 9,370,977 times
Any updates on this project?

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...ercial/73254/\

I still think the City needs to do some branding quick.. "North Main" in my mind.. doesn't go beyond Columbia College.. in terms of a retail district.. In fact you can likely carve out two or three distinct districts from Elmwood Ave to Columbia College. Once you get beyond C squared... you are pretty much in the hinterlands with the outlanders...and beyond... So I don't think that should include the area around Obama Gas Station, Greenview Plaza, Truck Stop et al as part of a North Main District.. Those are more suburban and less connected from a retail and pedestrian level. Maybe they can all be under the umbrella of "the Communities of North Columbia... but have separate subnames "NOMA"-From Elmwood to Sunset.. Is one District.. "Eau Claire" from Sunset to Eau Claire Town Hall is a second district and the third is really the area around=- CC Drive and north Main "College Place" and the final district or node. These areas already exist in name only and could use more definition and district marketing...

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-01-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 12:00 PM

258 posts, read 379,493 times
Columbia ranked second-best metro in the US to own a home

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...dential/74567/

Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM

This is unfortunate... and ironically..stuff like this led to the demise of Columbia Place Mall in Dentsville which gave rise to this very same Shopping Center. Columbia Place had other issues.. location, the rise of Lifestyle Centers, and the continuing sprawl of the NE which took higher income residents further and further away.. But, I can imagine that VOS may suffer a similar fate as development moves towards Blythewood if these type of things continue...

Village at Sandhill fight in Richland County SC seen on LivePD | The State

Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 AM

322 posts, read 375,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This is unfortunate... and ironically..stuff like this led to the demise of Columbia Place Mall in Dentsville which gave rise to this very same Shopping Center. Columbia Place had other issues.. location, the rise of Lifestyle Centers, and the continuing sprawl of the NE which took higher income residents further and further away.. But, I can imagine that VOS may suffer a similar fate as development moves towards Blythewood if these type of things continue...

Village at Sandhill fight in Richland County SC seen on LivePD | The State
I saw that on livepd. It was horrible for Sandhills. Videos like that makes a lot of people want to stay away.

That place needs to turn their security over to the local of and enforce their curfew or it will end up with the same fate as columbia mall

Old 06-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
I saw that on livepd. It was horrible for Sandhills. Videos like that makes a lot of people want to stay away.

That place needs to turn their security over to the local of and enforce their curfew or it will end up with the same fate as columbia mall

Live PD has been an eye opening experience for me in term of the types of crimes that happen in our area on a weekend basis.. I wonder if they will get a city larger than the likes of El Paso, TX, Lake County, Illinois and Columbia/Richland to appear on the show? Likely not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or