U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 07:37 AM

667 posts, read 606,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I thought about USC students right away, but I didn’t think about FJ.
Um, hold on. It’s not like Columbia is the only city with a large university. Raleigh, Austin, Knoxville... so why are we so far ahead of them on this list? I doubt it’s Fort Jackson.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 AM

977 posts, read 1,002,972 times
The main issue is this list seems to be an outlier that’s all. Doesn’t seem to coincide with other recent demographic news items. Hence the skepticism.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:14 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,955,715 times
The list is definitely interesting. Obviously, Norfolk/Va Beach/Newport News has a huge military presence - much larger than Fort Jackson.

But something else to think about is the age of millennials. Depending on which measure you use the oldest of Gen Y are 38-40 years old and almost all of them are at the point in their life where home buying is important. A lot of them have spent the last decade living in really expensive cities and are now leaving those cities in droves. 3 of the top 4 destinations for people leaving the Bay Area are Seattle, Sacramento, and Denver. San Francisco is so expensive people are leaving in droves - Business Insider

Jacksonville is another low-cost big city(ish) destination. These mid-tier cities have been feeling the brain drain for a long time and are now doing a much better job at retaining their homegrown (and interloping) talent. It's not necessarily because they've upped their game - it's just that the recession decimated the building industry and our transportation infrastructure building has nearly ground to a halt and neither has kept pace with population growth. Those two factors have raised the cost of real estate in general and close-in real estate in particular. Millennials demand certain amenities. They just don't like paying full price for them.

*been lurking around these parts as I'm considering a move (back) to the Midlands.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 AM

667 posts, read 606,599 times
Good points drivecarephilly. Also, for those who work remotely, I can think of much worse places to settle down than Columbia. You’re very close to Charleston without having to deal with all the tourists on a daily basis (and high real estate prices) and also close to the mountains. And with columbia you have USC for any continuing education you might want to do, particularly important for those in the remote professional classes.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:01 PM

751 posts, read 486,778 times
https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...7aa78d2be.html

More road diets coming to Columbia.

I'm telling you these roads needs to be one ways. Like Hampton and Taylor. Make them 3 Lane one ways with bike path.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:19 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,885,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I'm telling you these roads needs to be one ways. Like Hampton and Taylor. Make them 3 Lane one ways with bike path.
One ways can actually make things less safe than a normal road. 3 lanes going the same direction is what you don't want. Many cities have been getting rid of them or there are current pushes to. If they do keep the one way, it's more of a King Street model than what you're proposing.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:08 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,269,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...7aa78d2be.html

More road diets coming to Columbia.

One way roads is an awful idea and Taylor and Hampton should be two way. Even Charleston has gotten rid of one way roads.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 AM

751 posts, read 486,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
One way roads is an awful idea and Taylor and Hampton should be two way. Even Charleston has gotten rid of one way roads.
Hampton is too thin and is only wide enough for 3 cars side by side if no one is parking. Then they can fit but that rarely happens.

2- 3 Lanes all the way down to harden Street I believe is needed. And as for Taylor Street it's too wide and I would got it to be cut down to 3 Lanes one way with parking and Bike Lanes. I mean it's simple.

And the best idea

Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 PM

622 posts, read 458,713 times
https://international.la-croix.com/n...th-in-us/7921#

I know this isn't a very Catholic area, but having a parish named as a Basilica is a HUUUUGE deal. Like Giant for Catholics. St. Peters is the first Basilica in South Carolina and only the 85 in the United States.

Here is a map of all 85 basilicas: Basilicas in USA

Old 06-30-2018, 08:35 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,433,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
https://international.la-croix.com/n...th-in-us/7921#

I know this isn't a very Catholic area, but having a parish named as a Basilica is a HUUUUGE deal. Like Giant for Catholics. St. Peters is the first Basilica in South Carolina and only the 85 in the United States.

Here is a map of all 85 basilicas: Basilicas in USA
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Here’s a good excerpt from the article explaining what a basilica is (because I had no idea):
“The term basilica is applied to large and important churches and denotes that it has been given special designation by the pope. The reasons for bestowing this designation include architectural beauty, historical significance, liturgical renown, or any combination of these attributes.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or