U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 12:12 PM

482 posts, read 200,271 times

Advertisements

Is this really the demographic a younger city like Columbia is looking for?

http://www.google.com/amp/amp.kiplin...or-health.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 12:31 PM

29,578 posts, read 27,042,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post

College towns and cities typically make lists like these. Here's another one from the same source where cities like Austin, Nashville, Denver, Minneapolis, Durham, etc are listed: https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...018/index.html

No need to read anything more into this.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:08 PM

9,601 posts, read 13,714,852 times
I’m pretty sure Social Security benefits are taxed in SC. My father complains about it if I’m remembering right.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:25 PM

59 posts, read 40,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I’m pretty sure Social Security benefits are taxed in SC. My father complains about it if I’m remembering right.
No tax on SS in SC. Plus an additional $15,000 deduction for other retirement income.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 AM

415 posts, read 243,498 times
Quote:

Attracting retirees has been part of SC's strategy for the past decade or so. There are some pros and cons to this:

Pros: Increased demand for housing, shift of some asset value to SC, intangible civic value (i.e. volunteering, knowledge sharing, etc.), property tax revenue

Cons: State match for Medicaid (disability, low income Medicare subsidy), increased demand for public services, increased burden on healthcare system

To boil it down, there's a one-time gain followed by an increased tax on public services. I don't know that recruiting them is the wisest decision, but they are part of any healthy society. The key, which I think the coast has succeeded in gaining, is recruiting wealthier retirees who rely less on public services. Promoting continuing education opportunities at USC and the benefit of local arts organisations would be a nice way to draw more of this group.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:02 AM

9,601 posts, read 13,714,852 times
My bad. No state income tax on SS in SC.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Does anyone remember when this shopping center was supposedly getting a specialty grocer? It’s a great location in my opinion. I honestly think a Whole Foods would have worked great right here. Thoughts anyone?

http://pebbenterprises.propertycapsu...irmo/#overview

Old 07-19-2018, 05:29 PM

220 posts, read 256,268 times
Quote:
Does anyone remember when this shopping center was supposedly getting a specialty grocer? It’s a great location in my opinion. I honestly think a Whole Foods would have worked great right here. Thoughts anyone?

Irmo SC: High Pointe Centre (Irmo) - Retail Space For Lease - PEBB Enterprises
I remember there being talks of Sprouts locating here. Last I heard Hardy King ran them out of town...

Old 08-05-2018, 03:21 PM

If there’s one part of the plan I wish they’d have kept, it would’ve been this. I wish Lexington would do it do. Honestly, Richland County leaders could talk to the neighboring counties about sharing half the cost and getting “Welcome to (other county)” placed on the other side.

Gateway Signage

Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,841,192 times
Quote:
If there’s one part of the plan I wish they’d have kept, it would’ve been this. I wish Lexington would do it do. Honestly, Richland County leaders could talk to the neighboring counties about sharing half the cost and getting “Welcome to (other county)” placed on the other side.

Gateway Signage
Where would you put this? Because riding down 26, you switch between Richland and Lexington like 12 times lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or