U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,891,854 times
Reputation: 750

Advertisements

ESPN recently sent reporters who traditionally cover the PAC 12 to Columbia for a Carolina game. They shared their experience over Christmas week, the reporter from LA had this to say (just a cut from his article)........

Must-see sight in Columbia: I loved the history of the region (which I'll get into in the next section). But aside from seeing good football and some great historical sites, one absolutely must take a stroll through The Horseshoe -- the old part of campus. It's obvious why "College GameDay" picks this venue to set up at when it visits Columbia. The leaves were turning and it was simply beautiful. I could picture myself 20 years ago as a student, parked under a tree with a cup of coffee furiously trying to make sense of Immanuel Kant.

He continued to talk about the abundance of history in Columbia and specifically how Carolina was turned into a hospital during the Civil War. I am a little embarrassed that, as a SC native, I did not know that about Carolina. But, it is another reason why the Horseshoe at USC is special place in this country. Whether you love or hate Carolina, this area of Columbia is great to walk around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
ESPN recently sent reporters who traditionally cover the PAC 12 to Columbia for a Carolina game. They shared their experience over Christmas week, the reporter from LA had this to say (just a cut from his article)........

Must-see sight in Columbia: I loved the history of the region (which I'll get into in the next section). But aside from seeing good football and some great historical sites, one absolutely must take a stroll through The Horseshoe -- the old part of campus. It's obvious why "College GameDay" picks this venue to set up at when it visits Columbia. The leaves were turning and it was simply beautiful. I could picture myself 20 years ago as a student, parked under a tree with a cup of coffee furiously trying to make sense of Immanuel Kant.

He continued to talk about the abundance of history in Columbia and specifically how Carolina was turned into a hospital during the Civil War. I am a little embarrassed that, as a SC native, I did not know that about Carolina. But, it is another reason why the Horseshoe at USC is special place in this country. Whether you love or hate Carolina, this area of Columbia is great to walk around.
No link? How much googling and clicking are needed to find it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
404 posts, read 720,201 times
Reputation: 312
It was a well written, nice outlook from a West Coaster. CD just go to ESPN, if you have a MyESPN page, click on that. If not, click on NCAA Football and go to the SEC Blog and you should find it. Go ****S!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Reputation: 2082
I scrolled way, way, way down the first four out of 1074 pages of SEC blogs and judging by titles I didn't come across it, Rockinmoz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Reputation: 2082
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...74586915_n.jpg

Happy New Year! Columbia's New Year's Eve party gets better every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 AM
 
572 posts, read 734,934 times
Reputation: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...74586915_n.jpg

Happy New Year! Columbia's New Year's Eve party gets better every year.
Nice picture! Makes the crowd look smaller than it was though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
404 posts, read 720,201 times
Reputation: 312
CD go to ESPN NCAAF, go to search and type in Flip Week South Carolina, it should come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Nice picture! Makes the crowd look smaller than it was though
There's a photo in the hard copy of The State today that gives a better idea of how big the crowd was, with the high-rises on Main Street showing up really well, but it would have to be an aerial from straight overhead to really show it. If they post it online later I'll provide a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Reputation: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
CD go to ESPN NCAAF, go to search and type in Flip Week South Carolina, it should come up.
Thanks, Rockinmoz. I found it.

South Carolina Gamecocks flip week recap - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Irmo, SC
1,531 posts, read 1,421,061 times
Reputation: 362
Drove by Granby Mills the other night and saw they've closed off the parking and the green space in front of the parking lot. They've been removing trees it looks like but they've left several of the rather large ones in place. Are they finally readying the area for the proposed apartments? Any time table on this?

Also, didn't get a chance, but have they started construction on the Alumni Center? I remember hearing construction would start in the fall of 2013.

Assembly street is looking awesome, along with the new IHOP. Also, what is being built where the Wendy's use to be? I can't believe it's been this long since I've taken time to drive around downtown but I'm amazed at the amount of activity. Wait till those student dorms/apartments get underway... Columbia will turn into construction city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top