U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 AM

6,147 posts, read 9,355,444 times

Advertisements

Columbia is getting a lot of press lately (unfortunately not all of it is good with the murder of the USC student). But with the NCAA and the Presidential elections coming up and a variety of folks stumping in the State and often times Columbia its been getting a good look. Van Jones on CNN must have stayed downtown at the Sheraton during his visit.. That series where he drives around and talks with his passengers about politics showed him walking out of there and down Main Street.. which was cool to see. He then remarked on some of the improvements that had occurred more generally in Columbia and the city's economy before diving into the politics. As he was driving around he spent most of his trip in the downtown area and the vista..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 AM

750 posts, read 481,655 times
So a friend and I had a meeting at city hall yesterday with Council members Howard Duvall Jr. and Sam Davis. on our idea for a Skywalk/Tunnel network interconnecting downtown Columbia. We explained to them the benefits it would have on business and wouldn't take away from people walking on street level especially on Main Street itself.

Climate controlled in most of them would be linking Parking Garages, Hotels, Apartments, retail and Office towers a like along this corridor. even having underground retail linking up Underground Columbia Under the Arcade Mall on Main Street. so while we were explaining this to them we were showing off the maps I created showing them the corridor I propose. they like the idea and of coursed asked who would be paying for this and I immediantly told them it would be a public Private investment. so basically building and retail owners who wants this network to connect right up to their front door basically would pay parts of it. Office buildings would pay for underground or skywalk connections for their workers to get from their tower to the garages or favorite restaurants for lunch. and of course the benefits of getting out of the elements.

During times where its really rainy out, Cold and windy during the winter, or Columbia's famously hot humid summers people could still opt to take the skywalks or tunnels to their favorite restaurant or retailers etc.. so naturally I threw in my ideas for a Mixed use hub in the parking lot across from the Main Library on assembly. something like Epicentre in Charlotte with a Hotel or Apartment attatched to the complex and was met with a surprise.

Councilmen Howard Duvall told us that there's a development planned for that lot soon that kinda plays into our idea for a tunnel network. He said that the city is planned to build a 1300 Lot underground garage there and would have connecting tunnels to Washington Plaza, Boyd Plaza and The Wells Fargo building at 1441 Main.I was shocked by this then he brought up that they would possibly build a tunnel under assembly street to the Main Library also. then Council Sam Davis pointed to my map looking at 1401 Main the small tower next to the Wells Fargo building and said Kinda quietly (New City Hall).

we were surprised and I definately was surprised by this. he said that it still wouldn't rule out a mixed use development being built on that site. it will just have parking already built underground.

So now with all that said. I can tell Howard wasn't taking us that seriously but at the same time was very fascinated with what we came up with. so We will definately in the near future follow up on this proposal because I really want to see something such as this build in the center of downtown giving Columbia something unique that locals and tourist would enjoy.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Here's the Maps we show the 2 Council members that I created.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/258733...65547/sizes/o/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/258733...30703/sizes/o/

Old 04-11-2019, 02:32 PM

41 posts, read 17,851 times
I like this idea. If they are really serious about 1401 becoming the new city hall, then that would force the tenants out of that building. This would create the need for a new office tower downtown. Possibly on the block where the old Judicial Center and City Hall are.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:27 AM

616 posts, read 454,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
So a friend and I had a meeting at city hall yesterday with Council members Howard Duvall Jr. and Sam Davis. on our idea for a Skywalk/Tunnel network interconnecting downtown Columbia. We explained to them the benefits it would have on business and wouldn't take away from people walking on street level especially on Main Street itself.

Climate controlled in most of them would be linking Parking Garages, Hotels, Apartments, retail and Office towers a like along this corridor. even having underground retail linking up Underground Columbia Under the Arcade Mall on Main Street. so while we were explaining this to them we were showing off the maps I created showing them the corridor I propose. they like the idea and of coursed asked who would be paying for this and I immediantly told them it would be a public Private investment. so basically building and retail owners who wants this network to connect right up to their front door basically would pay parts of it. Office buildings would pay for underground or skywalk connections for their workers to get from their tower to the garages or favorite restaurants for lunch. and of course the benefits of getting out of the elements.

During times where its really rainy out, Cold and windy during the winter, or Columbia's famously hot humid summers people could still opt to take the skywalks or tunnels to their favorite restaurant or retailers etc.. so naturally I threw in my ideas for a Mixed use hub in the parking lot across from the Main Library on assembly. something like Epicentre in Charlotte with a Hotel or Apartment attatched to the complex and was met with a surprise.

Councilmen Howard Duvall told us that there's a development planned for that lot soon that kinda plays into our idea for a tunnel network. He said that the city is planned to build a 1300 Lot underground garage there and would have connecting tunnels to Washington Plaza, Boyd Plaza and The Wells Fargo building at 1441 Main.I was shocked by this then he brought up that they would possibly build a tunnel under assembly street to the Main Library also. then Council Sam Davis pointed to my map looking at 1401 Main the small tower next to the Wells Fargo building and said Kinda quietly (New City Hall).

we were surprised and I definately was surprised by this. he said that it still wouldn't rule out a mixed use development being built on that site. it will just have parking already built underground.

So now with all that said. I can tell Howard wasn't taking us that seriously but at the same time was very fascinated with what we came up with. so We will definately in the near future follow up on this proposal because I really want to see something such as this build in the center of downtown giving Columbia something unique that locals and tourist would enjoy.
This is fascinating in that 1441 has a webpage saying that a "new look" is coming soon. Home - 1441 Main

1401 would be an interesting choice for city hall. If I remember correctly, it is mostly occupied by state offices and palmetto health (which recently moved to the Colonial Life building). 1401 is decidedly a Class B space, so I don't think it would help spur demand for a new tower.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:51 PM

6,147 posts, read 9,355,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post

That parking lot is ripe for redevelopment.. Hopefully that happens.. If the city is going to build a large parking garage on that site.. Thank God it will be underground.. we don't need any more parking garages dominating the skyline. I would imagine if they are going to do something like that there.. hopefully something taller will go above grade, with such a large garage under it...

Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM

416 posts, read 244,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That parking lot is ripe for redevelopment.. Hopefully that happens.. If the city is going to build a large parking garage on that site.. Thank God it will be underground.. we don't need any more parking garages dominating the skyline. I would imagine if they are going to do something like that there.. hopefully something taller will go above grade, with such a large garage under it...
This reminds me- remember when we thought towers were going to spring up above all of the parking garages in town?

Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,420,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
This reminds me- remember when we thought towers were going to spring up above all of the parking garages in town?
I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that... Oh well.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
The economy. Currently it's not looking good it looks like we're heading into another recession. Let's hope it doesn't hit as hard as the last one. But that's the reason why the towers ontop of the garages and that 15 story tower next to the Library haven't been built yet. The housing market and market in general isn't looking good. I believe 2019 is the start of the new Recession.

I hope SC doesn't get hit that hard from it and we can continue to grow.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 PM

975 posts, read 998,164 times
Default Local economy

Uhh what are u talking about. South Carolina’s economy is cooking with gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or