Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 02:19 PM

330 posts, read 208,559 times

Advertisements

With the hospital right across the street, the hub a block over, the residents on the other side of Elmwood, more residential apartments that a springing up/under development, and potentially having more residents above I would say that would be enough to keep that location busy. Not to mention, the traffic Target would create from non-downtown residents could also help move that area forward for more development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,010,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
That would be a massive win. I'm wondering though, are there enough people in the catchment area to justify a location downtown?
I think the trade area is easily large enough for an Urban Target to be successful there. There is easy access from downtown, Shandon/Wales Garden, Cottontown, and even Cayce/West Columbia. Right now, all of those areas have to go to Woodhill, Irmo, or Northeast to go to a Target.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 AM

8,136 posts, read 13,183,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I think the trade area is easily large enough for an Urban Target to be successful there. There is easy access from downtown, Shandon/Wales Garden, Cottontown, and even Cayce/West Columbia. Right now, all of those areas have to go to Woodhill, Irmo, or Northeast to go to a Target.

I would think that Target would be better off over in the Bull Street development but in the mixed use multistory form with residential on top. That way they can likely have plenty of parking and take advantage of all those areas referenced in addition to those thousands of residents that will be living there.. It also puts them closer North Columbia, though maybe not their target market certainly may benefit from having a larger selection of home goods and groceries.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 AM

1,133 posts, read 932,243 times
https://colatoday.6amcity.com/soda-c...hall-columbia/

Soda City is looking at opening up a Food Hall somewhere on main Street. Interesting.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 AM

733 posts, read 550,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
https://colatoday.6amcity.com/soda-c...hall-columbia/

Soda City is looking at opening up a Food Hall somewhere on main Street. Interesting.
Love this idea! I wonder if North Main is actually a better fit than Main (?) Main given the number of cool warehouse-style businesses that can be repurposed?

Old 05-15-2019, 02:03 PM

511 posts, read 424,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Love this idea! I wonder if North Main is actually a better fit than Main (?) Main given the number of cool warehouse-style businesses that can be repurposed?
I am willing to walk down Main St downtown. But not to N Main.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:53 PM

1,124 posts, read 907,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I am willing to walk down Main St downtown. But not to N Main.
Lol, “Equitable Arcade Food Hall.†Great idea for the underneath now that I think about it actually.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 PM

1,133 posts, read 932,243 times
https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...3ab651275.html

No ew Columbia is at it again trying too preserve ugly useless buildings in the city. It's like the Tapps building all over again.

Let go tear it down build new. Stop trying to not become like Charlotte and progress for freak sakes

Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,480,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...3ab651275.html

No ew Columbia is at it again trying too preserve ugly useless buildings in the city. It's like the Tapps building all over again.

Let go tear it down build new. Stop trying to not become like Charlotte and progress for freak sakes
Charlotte? You mean the city that tore down numerous in-town African-American neighborhoods in the name of "urban renewal"? Not to say some of that didn't happen in Columbia, but in Charlotte they bulldozed huge swaths of neighborhoods.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...162073333.html

Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM

37,793 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Charlotte? You mean the city that tore down numerous in-town African-American neighborhoods in the name of "urban renewal"? Not to say some of that didn't happen in Columbia, but in Charlotte they bulldozed huge swaths of neighborhoods.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...162073333.html
I think the Charlotte comparison here is unnecessary since generally, Columbia (and most other cities in the Carolinas) have done a better job of historic preservation, but to be fair no other city in the Carolinas was booming in the postwar period like Charlotte either.

But in this case, I don't see any need to preserve the post office. Columbia has more than enough existing midcentury structures and razing the post office for an expanded Finlay Park with Assembly Street frontage would be a much better use of that land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area