U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 04:42 PM

1,072 posts, read 809,510 times

Advertisements

Columbia’s downtown is one of the most affordable in the nation. Here’s why

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...230690894.html

Press X to doubt. When one bedrooms are starting at $1100 a month which is literally how I make or when I have to live with a few other people just to afford rent then it's not affordable. Not to mention building too many low rise instead of being more dense not to mention the stupid amount of student housing clogging downtown which drives up the price even more is not affordable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 12:11 AM

177 posts, read 101,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Here is a little history on of the housing projects in Columbia.. It appears that most were built in the late 1930s early 40s which would coincide with the founding of Forest Acres.. If you consider that Allen Benedict Court and Gonzales Gardens were built on the "edge" of the City at that time.. one could see how property owners/residents of the likely rural and farming country of Forest Acres would want to incorporate to avoid future expansion of this type of housing further down Taylor Street which ironically becomes Forest Drive somewhere before it enters their city limits.

http://www.chasc.org/history-of-the-cha.html

Ironically the Town of Acadia Lakes was founded in 1959 likely also in response to the expansion of Forest Acres and the suburbanization of Columbia along Two Notch Road. Arcadia Lakes seems more like a glorified HOA as opposed to a town.. which would stand to reason why they would form... Incidentally it is nearly completely surrounded by Forest Acres which is partially surrounded by Columbia.. Its like one of those photos of a small fish being swallowed by a medium fish that is being swallowed by a larger fish at the same time

its interesting to look at the annex ation histoy coupled with richland maps, and the municipality boundaries. At some point Forest Acres will be absolved into the City of Columbia, but it just depends on annexation. Columbia is pushing annexation reform in the state legislation. Its one of the worst in the country for annextion attempts. There are literally holdout house doughnut holes that make no sense and easily should not exist and be part of the surrounding municipality.

When columbia went to talk about a heavy annextion push 2 years ago on wilson blvd everyone freaked out about it saying how bad it was etc. If you use the annextion calculator on the city website its cheaper to get annexed and you get access to significantly more focused resources and a much better Police department.

I wish Columbia could annex more as they honestly seem like they care about their population and trying to reduce crime with the technology they are buying like the gun shot locator. Meanwhile Richland deputies openly call area like the summit the "Scummit, Slummit, ghetto" etc. I must be off my base here because I didnt realize 200-300K houses were the hood, or scum..... I digress.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:20 AM

12,046 posts, read 17,086,583 times
The Census Bureau is releasing municipality population figures to the public today. The Post and Courier is reporting that for the second year in a row, Columbia lost population, this time 400. That’s probably the number that left Gonzales Gardens. Maybe the downtown affordability news will help the population growth. Some would say the shrinkage is a good thing, though.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:39 AM

37,241 posts, read 38,019,327 times
The annual estimates aren't exactly known for their accuracy. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the official Census numbers from next year say.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM

484 posts, read 351,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
I wish Columbia could annex more as they honestly seem like they care about their population and trying to reduce crime with the technology they are buying like the gun shot locator. Meanwhile Richland deputies openly call area like the summit the "Scummit, Slummit, ghetto" etc. I must be off my base here because I didnt realize 200-300K houses were the hood, or scum..... I digress.
They aren't calling it that based on appearance of the homes. There are a lot of police calls to the area. Not all the areas in the Summit are nice. I have driven down Summit Parkway when there are police checkpoints to go to certain neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 PM

7,702 posts, read 12,012,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
They aren't calling it that based on appearance of the homes. There are a lot of police calls to the area. Not all the areas in the Summit are nice. I have driven down Summit Parkway when there are police checkpoints to go to certain neighborhoods.

Many lower income residents are being pushed out of the city and there are a glut of homes for rent in sections of the Summit which is where may end up living. Not saying they are all bad but some are.. There is a little neighborhood just off of Summit Parkway to the left as you com into it from Clemson Rd that comes to mind . So yeah some areas are nice some aren't necessarily bad looking but have high levels of property related and drug crimes.. Its far from being Detroit.. but many suburbs as they age will go through the same life cycle as cities. If you look at the City of Columbia "proper" areas that are considered "ghettos and high crime" are shrinking or are actually in the unincorporated County usually at the edge of the city limits or in a "donut hole" this is also why annexation laws be relaxed. I hope, though not sure if the City of Columbia PD respond to calls for service in a "donut hole" as part of some municipal reciprocity agreement. The Citys Fire Department for example does go into the County and into other areas to back up other towns or fire companies. If the CPD are not doing this and its only the Sheriff then there in lies part of the problem of why these areas may be "high crime" Incidentally Live PD is routinely up on Clemson Rd, Hardscrabble, Two Notch Broad River and St Andrews.. mostly suburban areas around the City Limits.. CPD doesn't want them coming into the City especially around Five Points

Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 AM

The inferiority complex and the need to work harder together to meet the challenges of keeping up with peer regional cities remain. I have been hearing about these problems in Columbia since I can remember. And now there’s the challenge of filling voids recently created by losing several corporate headquarters.
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...856b32078.html

Old 06-10-2019, 01:39 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,030,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The inferiority complex and the need to work harder together to meet the challenges of keeping up with peer regional cities remain. I have been hearing about these problems in Columbia since I can remember. And now there’s the challenge of filling voids recently created by losing several corporate headquarters.
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...856b32078.html
I stress this (marketing Columbia) to friends of mine who have ties and familiarity with this and they say that Columbia has been marketing itself as much as other peer cities. It almost resulted into an argument once when I was stressing this to a friend of mine who works with Lexington (but loves Columbia as much as I do) and she said that Columbia is doing what it can to market itself to people to move there, but what lacks, as has been mentioned many times before, are jobs. So if we're full steam ahead on marketing ourselves, what are we doing wrong? Or are we not doing enough? Obviously, things don't change overnight. But it seems with as much good news that's been happening here, there's also some bad to go with it. But overall the speed in which Columbia is moving in the right direction is indeed slower than peer cities.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:43 PM

7,702 posts, read 12,012,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I stress this (marketing Columbia) to friends of mine who have ties and familiarity with this and they say that Columbia has been marketing itself as much as other peer cities. It almost resulted into an argument once when I was stressing this to a friend of mine who works with Lexington (but loves Columbia as much as I do) and she said that Columbia is doing what it can to market itself to people to move there, but what lacks, as has been mentioned many times before, are jobs. So if we're full steam ahead on marketing ourselves, what are we doing wrong? Or are we not doing enough? Obviously, things don't change overnight. But it seems with as much good news that's been happening here, there's also some bad to go with it. But overall the speed in which Columbia is moving in the right direction is indeed slower than peer cities.

I was in town talking with an attorney at his offices in NW Richland.. He was lamenting on how congested it has gotten out there and how much development is occurring on both the Richland and Lexington side of the Lake. He said he hadn't been downtown in years and has no interest to go down there when everything he could ask for is out where he was at. He pointed to some of the downtown development work that is going on in the Town of Lexington on why he doesn't have to go downtown.. "Festivals, Baseball, and Boats are all out here"..He didn't speak on crime specifically, but did touch on the three Ps.... parking, panhandlers, and punks as some reasons. I can understand where he's coming from.. but as a urbanite.. I find going downtown Columbia more appealing than going to a "wine and walk" and concert in downtown Lexington.. No offense to Lexington (I think what they are doing is great by the way). Point being.. I wonder how many other folks in the western empire feel the same way. So back to your marketing point.. I wonder if more marketing needs to be done even locally to make people feel different about the City (metro) in which they live?

The other issue for Columbia (as opposed to Charleston and Greenville) is I don't know how much civic pride there is here.. Charleston is bubbling over with civic pride and boosterism.. and it shows in an out of the City. Greenville seems to have it as well though its reach may not be to the level of Charleston. .. I don't get the sense that many(most of) Columbia (metro residents) are proud of Columbia despite some of the cool things that are happening here. . It seems like its limited to a few neighborhoods downtown along with retailers/businesses that have done a good job at promoting their individual businesses or events (Soda City for example) but not translated into a city wide movement or acceptance or support which is likely key for marketing. The residents/visitors should be the best marketers of the City as they are in Charleston and Greenville for sure.....Again, I do think it is happening slooowly.. but maybe the focus of any marketing effort should be here in Columbia first and foremost? For example.. Soda City is a cool moniker.. I would have Soda City hats, flags, banners, stickers etc etc sprinkled all over Columbia Metro. You shouldn't be able to go anywhere in this town and not see this reference or a slogan with in it. Maybe its trademarked.. but none the less. try to create a movement that people (mainly residents) want to be a part of.. almost like a sports team.. pass out buttons in the shape of a soda cap...and create a campaign.. "I got my soda cap.. get yours" and give people 10% off if they present it at a local restaurant or store....Anyway.. off soap box.. LOL

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-10-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM

The contingent of Lexington County residents who not only never set foot in downtown Columbia but would feel like a traitor telling their Lexington County peers that they did so is huge and very strong. They call it “this side of town.” It’s not like there are no Dorchester County or Pickens County people who are the same way, but it’s not nearly as strong of a mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area