Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 PM

744 posts, read 747,318 times

Advertisements

I am pretty sure no single segment in any industry in the world knows what is going to happen. We could sit around a speculate all day long. Charleston is going to suffer from the eventual closure of the Boeing plant (maybe forever) and zero tourism for over a year. Upstate is going to suffer from a huge demand crunch in construction and manufacturing. Charlotte is going to suffer from a banking bust and no sporting events.

Or not. No one really knows what is going to happen because of this, and we humans love to speculate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 03:06 PM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I am pretty sure no single segment in any industry in the world knows what is going to happen. We could sit around a speculate all day long. Charleston is going to suffer from the eventual closure of the Boeing plant (maybe forever) and zero tourism for over a year. Upstate is going to suffer from a huge demand crunch in construction and manufacturing. Charlotte is going to suffer from a banking bust and no sporting events.

Or not. No one really knows what is going to happen because of this, and we humans love to speculate!
Here, here! The upside of Columbia having such stable (boring) industries is that the city is well-balanced economically. While everyone will feel pain, the mix of state government, insurance, military, education, and the rest helps shield it from swings.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:47 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Here, here! The upside of Columbia having such stable (boring) industries is that the city is well-balanced economically. While everyone will feel pain, the mix of state government, insurance, military, education, and the rest helps shield it from swings.
Just imagine if Columbia had a larger and more robust private sector on top of those three stable entities. Columbia's current position is much more of a floor than a ceiling.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:49 PM

12,879 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Charleston has lost $42 million in revenue. The Tri-County area’s losses are a billion plus. I saw those stats today. I also saw an article about threats of mass state and local government layoffs nationwide. No one knows how bad things might get, and no one knows how well any of our cities and metros might end up faring considering.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:07 PM

24 posts, read 26,653 times
Columbia was just hitting its stride with the Kline development, Convention Center expansion, Bull Street...this will set the city back a decade or more.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:57 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincaseccu View Post
Columbia was just hitting its stride with the Kline development, Convention Center expansion, Bull Street...this will set the city back a decade or more.
Let’s all just hope and pray not. If anything I think the convention center will go through at a minimum. It can be tied to economic recovery. The others however, I can see the private sector getting behind bull street bc it’s far enough along, Kline though might be dead again. But let’s hope not. I have a feeling all the hotels will still be built though. Including the Cambria and the Hotel Anthem. It’s the perfect cheapest time to do it. But some big projects may be dead, you’re right.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:48 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincaseccu View Post
All cities are going to be set back a bit but the question is how long will it take them to recover.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:03 AM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times
I had to go downtown Thursday. They were still working on the housing at the Richland County Sherriff's lot. I also noticed they were working on the Green Street extension. The Moe Levy's site was empty.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:24 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Let’s all just hope and pray not. If anything I think the convention center will go through at a minimum. It can be tied to economic recovery. The others however, I can see the private sector getting behind bull street bc it’s far enough along, Kline though might be dead again. But let’s hope not. I have a feeling all the hotels will still be built though. Including the Cambria and the Hotel Anthem. It’s the perfect cheapest time to do it. But some big projects may be dead, you’re right.

So....whats going on with Real Estate in Columbia?

.. Seems like the most desirable sections of the City.. Shandon, Rosewood, Elmwood Park, Downtown, Lake Katherine/Forest Acres are really expensive even overpriced... Areas like Cottontown, Earelwood, Keenan Terrace, Cedar Terrace, Seminary Ridge, Waverly have low inventory and are also getting pricey. That leaves behind only some "pockets" that have poor housing stock or maybe undesirable because of perceived or real issues with crime... Areas such as Edgewood, Ridgewood, Belmont, (Pinehurst Park), Belverdere, to name a few...

The areas where I see promise continue to be "The Colonials" (i.e Colonial Heights, Colonial West, Colonial Park), Cabb Island, College Place and a hidden gem called Northwood Hills (behind Alcorn Middle School) on the lower end of Fairfield Road (near Cola College) all of these areas are in Eau Claire. Bradley which is over near Forest Acres off of Covenant Road @ Beltline also appears to be stable and well positioned. SE Columbia also shows promise but its mainly through infill development and subdivisions and doesn't have the "uniqueness" offered by Eau Claire and the connectivity to downtown

The areas that could go either way appear to be Rochelle Heights and Midlands Terrace both also off of Covenant Road in between Two Notch, Beltline and Forest Drive. They certainly is well position because of their location but doesn't seem to be getting much attention.

So the safe bet seems to be the Eau Claire area given its connectivity to North Main, its housing stock and for the moment.. price?

Old 04-28-2020, 02:42 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
So....whats going on with Real Estate in Columbia?

.. Seems like the most desirable sections of the City.. Shandon, Rosewood, Elmwood Park, Downtown, Lake Katherine/Forest Acres are really expensive even overpriced... Areas like Cottontown, Earelwood, Keenan Terrace, Cedar Terrace, Seminary Ridge, Waverly have low inventory and are also getting pricey. That leaves behind only some "pockets" that have poor housing stock or maybe undesirable because of perceived or real issues with crime... Areas such as Edgewood, Ridgewood, Belmont, (Pinehurst Park), Belverdere, to name a few...

The areas where I see promise continue to be "The Colonials" (i.e Colonial Heights, Colonial West, Colonial Park), Cabb Island, College Place and a hidden gem called Northwood Hills (behind Alcorn Middle School) on the lower end of Fairfield Road (near Cola College) all of these areas are in Eau Claire. Bradley which is over near Forest Acres off of Covenant Road @ Beltline also appears to be stable and well positioned. SE Columbia also shows promise but its mainly through infill development and subdivisions and doesn't have the "uniqueness" offered by Eau Claire and the connectivity to downtown

The areas that could go either way appear to be Rochelle Heights and Midlands Terrace both also off of Covenant Road in between Two Notch, Beltline and Forest Drive. They certainly is well position because of their location but doesn't seem to be getting much attention.

So the safe bet seems to be the Eau Claire area given its connectivity to North Main, its housing stock and for the moment.. price?
I’d agree with that Statement. My home on Cola College Dr is in Seminary Ridge and I’d consider it a great neighborhood. A house down the road from me sold for 132k, and it hadn’t even been renovated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area