Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2022, 02:19 PM

390 posts, read 218,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Wow, that’d be nice. I wonder if they would change the exterior to make it look less “brutalist”? Lol

What does the building currently serve as now? Office space?
It was offices for department of education, not sure if they are still in there or not.

One other interesting fact, the building was suppose to be twice as high but got chopped due to state budget restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 11:45 PM

1,133 posts, read 932,243 times
Quote:
Wow, that’d be nice. I wonder if they would change the exterior to make it look less “brutalist”? Lol

What does the building currently serve as now? Office space?
Nah I want it to keep it's Brutalist look. That design is unique and Beautiful

Old 05-31-2022, 11:27 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,823,769 times
https://planninganddevelopment.colum...elmwood635.pdf

Looks like a charter school is being proposed for the old railroad line on Elmwood next to the cemetery.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:45 PM

2,121 posts, read 2,241,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post

Looks like a charter school is being proposed for the old railroad line on Elmwood next to the cemetery.
Same Charter school that got turned down on building on North Main a little while ago?

Old 05-31-2022, 01:48 PM

390 posts, read 218,169 times
Quote:
Same Charter school that got turned down on building on North Main a little while ago?
Yes, believe they brought up the new location earlier this year but it was deferred

Old 05-31-2022, 02:11 PM

2,121 posts, read 2,241,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Nah I want it to keep it's Brutalist look. That design is unique and Beautiful
The Brutalist design gets a bad rap mostly but I'm with you, I actually somewhat like it. Especially this building. I wish it had been doubled in height like forestcracker mentioned. Can you imagine having a building built in 1964 taller than the Capital Center?

Anyway... Can we please start another thread where we wish and fantasize about a new tallest in Columbia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Yes, believe they brought up the new location earlier this year but it was deferred
Ah, interesting. To be honest, I like the way the renderings look and the design. It looks like two long entrances that lead up to the main campus.

If only they could build on that cemetery... Lol Don't get me started on that...

Old 05-31-2022, 05:15 PM

8,136 posts, read 13,183,905 times
Quote:

Wow they really made that site work. That is likely the only non industrial use that could go back there. I wonder if any NIMBY will show up since one of their access points is Park Street . On a related note they must want to be downtown for a reason ...likely because young families are moving in and want school choice which can be an amenity for the city in an effort to increase the population at the core

Old 05-31-2022, 05:24 PM

8,136 posts, read 13,183,905 times
This 44ac tract on Fairfield Road and I 20 is under contract. I think it is zoned for industrial. Seems like all the prime locations along 77 and 26 are taken so opporunties are spreading north. This is good in the sense that they area 29203 cold use the employment centers and is very accessible to I. 20. Look forward to seeing what happens at this location

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/7441...a-SC/17746680/

Old 06-02-2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
The Brutalist design gets a bad rap mostly but I'm with you, I actually somewhat like it. Especially this building. I wish it had been doubled in height like forestcracker mentioned. Can you imagine having a building built in 1964 taller than the Capital Center?

Anyway... Can we please start another thread where we wish and fantasize about a new tallest in Columbia?

Ah, interesting. To be honest, I like the way the renderings look and the design. It looks like two long entrances that lead up to the main campus.

If only they could build on that cemetery... Lol Don't get me started on that...
Oooo Do you want to start the Thread? I use to be obsessed with a new "Tallest" Building for Columbia. I think if something like that happens in Columbia it will either be a Massive Apartment/ Condo, A Mixed used Complex or an Office Building from a big company opening up in Downtown.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:29 AM

Quote:

So instead of them turning that Rail into pedestrian paths they are gonna go full on Road huh? I dont know how I feel about this. I'm sure the People in the Neighborhood are gonna say some things about this project. I Think that location would be used better for Housing because we need more of that instead of a School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area