U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM
 
1,283 posts, read 2,095,833 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
If you read the thread and points raised, you will see that it is relative. The entire reason for the thread started with a comment attributed to a Greenville beer shop owner. Marketing a city is important, I think it is important to see what would work well for Columbia and what may not, do you not agree? Or, are you just attacking posters so you don't have to share an opinion? There is no "baiting", just observations.
Yea, I agree: it'd be great to discuss what would work well for Columbia!

However, do you think they can ONLY learn from Greenville? It seems that way based on how you only comment about Greenville's approach to these things (and obviously how wrong and misguided those approaches are).

And, do you have links to the positive comments that businesses post on their websites? I'm not familiar with what you speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
9,833 posts, read 19,397,373 times
Reputation: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
So, you are saying the demographics are better in Green ills then they are in Charlotte? With tax credits, Hughes is easily able to offer subsidized rent to retailers and still have a strong NOI. The purpose fo these credits is to encourage development in distressed areas. That is stretching it a bit to use these for an office building but, they are for the purpose of making numbers work in real estate where market forces otherwise won't.

Simon does this with Haywood. They will offer space at Southpark to a retailer if they also to take some space at Haywood. If the rent is low enough, you don't require a large gross profit to make a lot of money and have positive contribution for the company.
I never said the demographics are better in Greenville than they are in Charlotte. They're MUCH higher in Charlotte. That city has had Anthropologie and Brooks Brothers for years. Once again, subsidized rent was not included within this development. Here is how Anthropologie really happened:

One of the higher ups at Anthropologie is friends with one of the higher ups at the City of Greenville. The daughter of the city higher up had a wedding which the Anthropologie higher up attended. This person was very impressed with the city especially the downtown area. You know the rest of the story from there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Well, that doesn't really explain why some posters are so consumed with Greenville that they cannot resist posting baited comments in another city's threads. People have recognized that Columbia and Greenville have developed differently and have had different focuses for their futures. So then, what's the intention of bringing up Greenville's downtown hotel market, a developers' willingness to get creative with financing new developments, or how one's marketing dollars are spent?
Jealously and trying to win over the competition. It is why you see this with some Greenville forum members bashing Columbia also. Remember the commercials with AirTran and Southwest going at it few years ago? Same thing here.


Last edited by g-man430; 03-21-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,354 posts, read 12,628,740 times
Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It doesn't work like that though. We live in a society where comparisons and differences reign among competition. You will always see Greenville mentioned with Columbia because they have the same size metro area, are located in the same state, and are only two hours apart. It's like McDonald's versus Burger King. Whichever is better really depends on who you ask.
On the rare occasion I eat at either I don't think about the other and don't care to have anyone who's with me comparing a Big Mac to a Whopper or the fries or anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
9,833 posts, read 19,397,373 times
Reputation: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
On the rare occasion I eat at either I don't think about the other and don't care to have anyone who's with me comparing a Big Mac to a Whopper or the fries or anything else.
Maybe not but there are people that do. This is especially true with politics. Just look at Romney vs. Obama. There will always be competition no matter the subject at hand. That is just the way it works in a society like ours. We can be like inception and dream that competition won't exist anymore among Columbia and Greenville but the fact is it will always be there whether we like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
 
3,205 posts, read 3,643,171 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Yea, I agree: it'd be great to discuss what would work well for Columbia!

However, do you think they can ONLY learn from Greenville? It seems that way based on how you only comment about Greenville's approach to these things (and obviously how wrong and misguided those approaches are).

And, do you have links to the positive comments that businesses post on their websites? I'm not familiar with what you speak of.
If you think looking at what would work for Columbia, then it is relevant to look at the outer parameters. I said, and still believe that Greenville pushes self promotion to a new level. And I think Columbia is on the low side. It is very reasonable to loom for Columbia to land somewhere in the middle. Too much advertising can turn folks away and has in many occasions.

The last two I saw were the new breweries that opened in Greenvile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM
 
3,205 posts, read 3,643,171 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I never said the demographics are better in Greenville than they are in Charlotte. They're MUCH higher in Charlotte. That city has had Anthropologie and Brooks Brothers for years. Once again, subsidized rent was not included within this development. Here is how Anthropologie really happened:

One of the higher ups at Anthropologie is friends with one of the higher ups at the City of Greenville. The daughter of the city higher up had a wedding which the Anthropologie higher up attended. This person was very impressed with the city especially the downtown area. You know the rest of the story from there.

Jealously and trying to win over the competition. It is why you see this with some Greenville forum members bashing Columbia also. Remember the commercials with AirTran
and Southwest going at it few years ago? Same thing here

If Anthropologie located in a building without tax credits, I would buy it. But, to be the
pioneering national retailer downtown in a building where almost 20% of the construction
costs are covered by tax credits, there is more to the wedding story. If I had not seen the same thing happen in Charlotte where Myers Park, Dilworth, Eastover, Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood and other above average incomes are within a mile of downtown, I would but it. But, Hughes used tax credits to widen his margins at One to smoking where he and the city could land a national retailer. It was a point in the cities master an to attract a national retailer.

As for jealousy. I live in Charlotte, why on earth would I be jealous of Greenville SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
 
1,283 posts, read 2,095,833 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
If you think looking at what would work for Columbia, then it is relevant to look at the outer parameters. I said, and still believe that Greenville pushes self promotion to a new level. And I think Columbia is on the low side. It is very reasonable to loom for Columbia to land somewhere in the middle. Too much advertising can turn folks away and has in many occasions.
Thank you. How do you feel about Columbia's Famously Hot campaign? They have billboards all over the upstate. I'm not sure what their target market is, or its extent, but they seem pretty able based on what I've seen. In fact if you go to their website, you'll find "media kits and bios".

What does Columbia want to be? What does it want to brand itself as?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,354 posts, read 12,628,740 times
Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Yea, I agree: it'd be great to discuss what would work well for Columbia!

However, do you think they can ONLY learn from Greenville? It seems that way based on how you only comment about Greenville's approach to these things (and obviously how wrong and misguided those approaches are).

And, do you have links to the positive comments that businesses post on their websites? I'm not familiar with what you speak of.
Actually it's great discussing what has worked and is working for Columbia and what can make it even better. There are lots of places to get ideas from. Every city can benefit from scoping out other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,354 posts, read 12,628,740 times
Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Thank you. How do you feel about Columbia's Famously Hot campaign? They have billboards all over the upstate. I'm not sure what their target market is, or its extent, but they seem pretty able based on what I've seen. In fact if you go to their website, you'll find "media kits and bios" under "Story Ideas" where it lists Atlanta and New York from 2011.

What does Columbia want to be? What does it want to brand itself as?
This speaks to my earlier post about the hard work of the Columbia CVB CEO. It is working, quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
 
3,205 posts, read 3,643,171 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Maybe not but there are people that do. This is especially true with politics. Just look at Romney vs. Obama. There will always be competition no matter the subject at hand. That is just the way it works in a society like ours. We can be like inception and dream that competition won't exist anymore among Columbia and Greenville but the fact is it will always be there whether we like it or not.
There has always been a cynical view of Columbia in Greenville, that is a reason why the thread exists. Why does Clemson's president talk down to Columbia? Knox White? David Wilkins? Half of the Greenville posters on CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top