Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM

2,121 posts, read 2,241,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I think if a developer can find an anchor tenant, a new 400+ could be built. There is just not as much "fun" money these days to build a speculative tower. I think it could happen, but all the pieces would have to fall in place first. Also, I am a big cheerleader for a new 400+ tower.

Omaha is a good example, though. They built a 600+ building, and it does not look too out of place!
True. But looking at Omaha's skyline vs Mobile's, Omaha's is much more dense and there's a lot more involved when looking at the skyline from afar. As far as clusters of buildings go, Omaha has 17 buildings over 200 feet while Mobile has 7. I'm hoping Columbia can build a little more density and then one day have that magnificent skyscraper that everyone wishes to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 PM

743 posts, read 737,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
True. But looking at Omaha's skyline vs Mobile's, Omaha's is much more dense and there's a lot more involved when looking at the skyline from afar. As far as clusters of buildings go, Omaha has 17 buildings over 200 feet while Mobile has 7. I'm hoping Columbia can build a little more density and then one day have that magnificent skyscraper that everyone wishes to see.
I guess I was not totally clear about what I meant. I totally agree with you 100% on the Mobile vs. Omaha issue. I think something a little shorter, while taller than other buildings would not stick out in Columbia that much. I have been to all these cities many times, and still, even with the shortest tall building, I still find Columbia's skyline more pleasing than Omaha, Mobile, and Des Moines.

I would think it would be nice to have something built in the 600 range, and a crown with re-cladding for the Capitol Center/BB&T building.

Highly doubt any of this is going to happen though! We are free to dream...

Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 PM

Ah, I get you. I agree in that Columbia's skyline, despite not being very tall, is very pleasing because you get that denser jungle of buildings- or so it seems. If we got a 600 foot tall tower in Columbia I'd be ecstatic, not totally realistic right now, but I'll dream as well-Ha. I'd be equally content with anything around 400 feet, plus it'd gel well with the skyline.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Ah, I get you. I agree in that Columbia's skyline, despite not being very tall, is very pleasing because you get that denser jungle of buildings- or so it seems. If we got a 600 foot tall tower in Columbia I'd be ecstatic, not totally realistic right now, but I'll dream as well-Ha. I'd be equally content with anything around 400 feet, plus it'd gel well with the skyline.
Agree... it is just so hard to compare since there are no good skyline measurements. I will say with "midtown" (northern park of the CBD) and USC/Five Points buildings, the Skyline has a great span. Maybe that is why I like it better than the tight skylines with just a couple tall buildings.

Truth be known, I have had people tell me they think the Minneapolis Skyline is weaker than many cities with more higher mid-rise (300-400ft) buildings. I guess it is just in the eye of the beholder! Either way, I really appreciate all the progress of this great city, Columbia!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 AM

12,742 posts, read 18,541,344 times
Compared to its peer cities Columbia looks better than I feared in this poverty report from Brookings.

The Growth and Spread of Concentrated Poverty, 2000 to 2008-2012 | Brookings Institution

Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,823,769 times
City of Cola report to the community, or as I call it, year in review.

ISSUU - City of Columbia

Last edited by SCSUfan; 08-01-2014 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Agree... it is just so hard to compare since there are no good skyline measurements. I will say with "midtown" (northern park of the CBD) and USC/Five Points buildings, the Skyline has a great span. Maybe that is why I like it better than the tight skylines with just a couple tall buildings.

Truth be known, I have had people tell me they think the Minneapolis Skyline is weaker than many cities with more higher mid-rise (300-400ft) buildings. I guess it is just in the eye of the beholder! Either way, I really appreciate all the progress of this great city, Columbia!
I like the spread out look as well. Makes me think of Atlanta where it seems there are skyscrapers everywhere. You have a cluster in Buckhead and then of course Atlanta. Either way, Columbia still looks pretty good for only having 2 mid-rises built in the last 20 or so years.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I like the spread out look as well. Makes me think of Atlanta where it seems there are skyscrapers everywhere. You have a cluster in Buckhead and then of course Atlanta. Either way, Columbia still looks pretty good for only having 2 mid-rises built in the last 20 or so years.
I agree... seems like a good way to plan a future dense core. The groundwork is set to become a great dense core! An asset to Columbia!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,823,769 times
The State on Columbia's growth.

Columbia, SC: Bolton: Is Columbia, SC about to explode? | Warren Bolton | The State

Old 08-03-2014, 07:16 PM

12,742 posts, read 18,541,344 times
I'm just sayin':

(This is not in response to the post immediately preceding this one.)

I was in Charlotte this weekend. Literally, I was in Charlotte - within the Charlotte city limits. By the same measure around here, Blythewood should be in the Columbia city limits. My buddies in Charlotte live a very spread-out car-culture life. To get anywhere, they have to drive and drive through what appears to be the country. Going out to eat means trekking along what appear to be country roads, with no sidewalks, until finally something resembling suburbia appears up ahead. They drove us in several directions from their housing development, which has no sidewalks, and in every direction it took forever to get to anything. Yet they are city residents. I even checked out their recycle bin. I don't think I want SC's annexations laws to become that liberal, but if they did I believe Columbia's population would easily top 400,000.

I'm just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area