U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,502,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The wide streets will much more readily accommodate bike lanes as Walk Bike Columbia's master plan is implemented. Any intimidation and/or lack of quaintness that now exists because of wide streets at intersections will be solved with heavy streetscaping and sharply defined pedestrian crossings. These changes will only add to the city's graceful appearance. I'm just glad there are virtually no one-way streets - what, like three?
You are exactly right. I am cautiously optimistic Columbia will do this. I know there is reason to hope with the Penny Tax and Walk Bike Columbia, but I feel the recent Assembly overhaul–while better than before–was something of a missed opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 04:08 PM

9,614 posts, read 13,741,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
You are exactly right. I am cautiously optimistic Columbia will do this. I know there is reason to hope with the Penny Tax and Walk Bike Columbia, but I feel the recent Assembly overhaul–while better than before–was something of a missed opportunity.
I feel sure the Assembly Street improvements that would come from state funds in conjunction with similar improvements for Huger Street will lead to more improvements along the stretch they've already enhanced.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:50 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,258,501 times
Exports up.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 09-06-2014, 04:16 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,421,852 times
Quote:
This is exactly right. If you remember the NYT article a year or so ago about Columbia's proposed homeless ordinances, it said the same thing. It felt a little premature then, but not now. Columbia is burgeoning and it is an exciting time to live here. In 5-10 years, it will be a completely different city and I can't wait to watch it happen.

In a way, we are lucky that Columbia's growth spurt is happening when it is. The current trend of mixed use and walkable cities is, in my opinion, here to stay. I'm glad Columbia didn't boom before these elements were a priority. When I'm in some cities that hit major growth spurts in the 1980s or 1990s, everything feels dated and you can sense some decay because they were built during and designed for a time that has passed and is unlikely to return. The RiverPlace Mall in San Antonio is one example. As interesting and lively as downtown SA and the Riverwalk are, all the money spent on the mall seems wasted now. The mall is an empty shell and a shadow of its former self.

Columbia's growth spurt is overdue, but I think we're lucky it was delayed. Here's to an exciting future for the Capital City!
I totally agree in that 5 or so years Columbia will be radically different. Even walking around Main street last night after me and my significant other had dinner at Bourbon we noticed the difference on Main Street. Yes, it was Friday night, but Cantina 76 was PACKED and you could feel the presence of a little more life. Imagine 5 years from now? It will be like this on a Monday night.

I find the points you made very interesting. As for Columbia growing into what it is today, I doubt this sort of walkability will fade away, ever. With gas prices staying high and cars becoming a congestive nightmare Columbia is preceding a trend of fewer cars in the city (hopefully). And in the long run, lets face it, gasoline won't be around forever.

Years ago, I wished Columbia would turn into one of these booming-can't-build-it-fast-enough cities. but it seems she was waiting for the right time. Call it fickle or what have you, but I like to think Columbia marches to the beat of a different drum.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:27 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,421,852 times
Quote:
I feel sure the Assembly Street improvements that would come from state funds in conjunction with similar improvements for Huger Street will lead to more improvements along the stretch they've already enhanced.
Maybe I missed it, but are there tentative plans for improving Huger street? I assume they'll do the same things they've done to Assembly street, correct?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 AM

The City of Columbia, Richland County, Lexington County and one other entity (maybe USC) applied for funding from the state highway infrastructure fund on the basis that showing regional cooperation along with Richland County's and maybe Lexington County's implementing their own transportation tax would go a long way toward getting the money. Overhauls of Assembly Street and Huger Street from Elmwood to Rosewood and to Whaley respectively, with bridges over the railroad tracks for both, are two of four projects listed in the application. Another is the airport connector road from I-26 to Columbia Metropolitan Airport and I think the last one is for a street or road in the town of Lexington.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:12 PM

29,725 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Seems that way to me also, but I've not yet seen the new improvements in person. It should have been more of a true road diet project as opposed to mainly being a streetscaping project. I hope that's the case north of Gervais, because that's the area where it's crucial that it be done right.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Walk Bike Columbia wasn't in on that.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 PM

29,725 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Walk Bike Columbia wasn't in on that.
I hope they're in on the next leg of the project.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,258,501 times
Just because this encompasses a lot of area I will put this here.

COLUMBIA, SC: An end to train delays in the Midlands? | Local News | The State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or