U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM

9,450 posts, read 13,136,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Maybe not but there are people that do. This is especially true with politics. Just look at Romney vs. Obama. There will always be competition no matter the subject at hand. That is just the way it works in a society like ours. We can be like inception and dream that competition won't exist anymore among Columbia and Greenville but the fact is it will always be there whether we like it or not.
In that case, advice to competitors: Don't mess with Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,152,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
There has always been a cynical view of Columbia in Greenville, that is a reason why the thread exists. Why does Clemson's president talk down to Columbia? Knox White? David Wilkins? Half of the Greenville posters on CD?
I've never heard of Knox White talking down to/about Columbia. In fact, I've yet to see any of the quotes that you speak of. I've already addressed Clemson's president in another post, though I have no idea what comments you're referring to.

I'm sure you're not aware of this since it doesn't support your negative view of all Greenville residents, but Mayor White tweeted positive comments about his time spent with Mayor Benjamin.

I hardly think an online forum represents the views of an entire metropolitan area.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM

10,029 posts, read 19,901,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Yea, I agree: it'd be great to discuss what would work well for Columbia!

However, do you think they can ONLY learn from Greenville? It seems that way based on how you only comment about Greenville's approach to these things (and obviously how wrong and misguided those approaches are).

And, do you have links to the positive comments that businesses post on their websites? I'm not familiar with what you speak of.
Actually, Columbia looking at Greenville is a very smart idea in my opinion due to the cities being close together, having similar demographics, and being located in the same state. No point in them looking at a much larger metro area like Atlanta which they won't be for at least another 30 years. Knoxville would be another great city for Columbia to look at also.

Quote:
As for jealousy. I live in Charlotte, why on earth would I be jealous of Greenville SC?
Has nothing to do with Charlotte. You want Columbia to be bigger and better than Greenville because you like that city more. There is nothing wrong with that either. It is part of the competition cycle I have been talking about on here that we as a society live in. Replace Obama and Romney with Greenville and Columbia. They are the exact same thing but with different subjects being used.

Quote:
There has always been a cynical view of Columbia in Greenville, that is a reason why the thread exists.
Of course there is. It wouldn't be competition without this. It is just like what you see with USC going up against Clemson.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:11 PM

9,450 posts, read 13,136,246 times
The criticism has stirred a complacent sleeper in a big, broad, comfortable bed. The springs have been activated. Now that she's awake, don't mess with Columbia.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Actually, Columbia looking at Greenville is a very smart idea in my opinion due to the cities being close together,
Well, that's a great idea if you thought Greenville ever did anything correctly. Otherwise, why learn from a place that you can't stand how they do things? Choose a Knoxville, Raleigh, or any other city of your choice that you respect. Otherwise, it seems like wasted time.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,757,882 times
Quote:
Thank you. How do you feel about Columbia's Famously Hot campaign? They have billboards all over the upstate. I'm not sure what their target market is, or its extent, but they seem pretty able based on what I've seen. In fact if you go to their website, you'll find "media kits and bios".

What does Columbia want to be? What does it want to brand itself as?
Personally, I don't like that campaign.

What I would like to see is for the city to become more inserted into corporations. The city has one of the nation's best business schools and should work to attract professional jobs. Many large financial institutions are moving functions away from the northeast due to cost, I would like to see Columbia attract some of these positions. The new pharm plant us a great start in the R&D field, Carolina's Innovista district should gain traction and use this as leverage to attract similar companies. In short, I think the city should take steps to grow deeper into R&D, IT, finance, insurance and on the outer boundaries, manufacturing. Once this base is established, and the city is off to a good start with SCBT becoming a larger bank, Aflac, the pharm plant and some other IT companies, marketing the cities natural amenities and quality of life would be a good place to start.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Well, that's a great idea if you thought Greenville ever did anything correctly. Otherwise, why learn from a place that you can't stand how they do things? Choose a Knoxville, Raleigh, or any other city of your choice that you respect. Otherwise, it seems like wasted time.
Why copy somebody you don't care about when you can copy your main competitor and try to beat them at their own game? CVS isn't going to copy Home Depot. They're gonna copy and try to excel over Walgreens so they can win the overall business and consumer in the drug pharmacy market. Running a city isn't much if any different than running a national retailer.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,757,882 times
Quote:
I've never heard of Knox White talking down to/about Columbia. In fact, I've yet to see any of the quotes that you speak of. I've already addressed Clemson's president in another post, though I have no idea what comments you're referring to.

I'm sure you're not aware of this since it doesn't support your negative view of all Greenville residents, but Mayor White tweeted positive comments about his time spent with Mayor Benjamin.

I hardly think an online forum represents the views of an entire metropolitan area.
Clemson's president and BOT chair are constantly talking about a 2 city state in SC. I think that is very intentional considering all three cities are similar in size.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Clemson's president and BOT chair are constantly talking about a 2 city state in SC. I think that is very intentional considering all three cities are similar in size.
Which, I've already addressed. Clemson has huge ties to the economies of Greenville and Charleston and wants their investments there to pay off. Why advertise Columbia, when your biggest initiatives and ventures are somewhere else? That seems pretty straight forward. It's not a dislike of Columbia, but a strategic business move to emphasize where their money is. It doesn't make sense to say: "Columbia has this, this, and this going on, but please show interest over here INSTEAD." Walmart isn't going to advertise for Target.

Clemson's board typically meets in Columbia. If it hated the city and region so much, I'd think they would chose to do so elsewhere. Furthermore, I'd say that a majority of Clemson's board member live in the Columbia area. They know it exists.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:28 PM

Of course Clemson isn't going to advertise Columbia which is home to USC. That would be like Pepsi advertising Atlanta which is home to Coca-Cola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or