U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 12:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 13,741,523 times

Advertisements

Apartment vacancies in the Columbia market are at a 15-year low.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:01 PM

6,151 posts, read 9,362,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Generally, you wouldn't be hauled into court over DDRC issues, you just wouldn't get the building permit in the first place. Of course, this assumes you follow the proper protocol to begin with.

I know gentrification is a sensitive subject, but in my opinion, Columbia could handle a great deal of gentrification before it becomes a real issue. There are still plenty of in-town neighborhoods where average-income families can afford to buy a house. The same cannot be said of the Charleston peninsula, where gentrification has become a dirty word because even upper-income families would struggle to buy a comfortable house.

Arsenal Hill and, to a lesser extent, Granby and Olympia are neighborhoods whose gentrification would benefit the central city more than it would negatively affect current residents, in my opinion. Arsenal Hill has all the makings of a premier downtown neighborhood but, except for the small Governor's Hill portion, it is not yet. (I think the school zoning may play a role in this).

For the record, I do not want to see lower- and fixed-income people pushed out of the CBD. I just think gentrification should be encouraged (or at least not discouraged) downtown to increase the appeal of the city as well as its tax base.

I guess my thought process was...1) You are required to replace a broken window 2) because you are in a historic district you cant just get the most affordable type of windows you want you have to replace it with a certain type/make that is more $$$. You cant get the permit to replace them (assuming you apply) because you are using the cheaper that dont comply with the district guidelines .. but Code Enforcement doesnt care what type of window you have (they dont enforce design guidelines to my knowledge) they just want the window fixed but you cant do it legally because of the guidelines. If you do it illegally, I am certain some Dudley Do Right (likely the person who supported the district in the first place) will call the City and complain that you didnt get a permit and oh by the way..you put in the wrong windows... and down the rabbit hole you go......Alice

I agree Columbia isnt experiencing a great deal of gentrification at this point.. Most of it is "self-relofication" with lower income families, usually on public assistance, taking their voucher to the suburbs into older apartment complexes or into the glut of single family homes that cant sell in some subdivision and that have become rentals.....

Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 PM

975 posts, read 998,784 times
re: Apartment vacancies in the Columbia market are at a 15-year low.

Ya that's why so many new units are coming online in the next two years.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:40 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,502,347 times
Default Free Times: What Columbia needs

The Free Times states its position on what Columbia needs.

What Columbia Needs, Vol. 2 - Free-Times.com

Some of the usual suspects are included (Apple Store, better music scene, Main St. nightlife) plus a complaint about a lack of a beer garden. Whatever happened to the beer garden that was supposed to be built along with the new Music Farm?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:04 PM

9,613 posts, read 13,741,523 times
Quote:

Some of the usual suspects are included (Apple Store, better music scene, Main St. nightlife) plus a complaint about a lack of a beer garden. Whatever happened to the beer garden that was supposed to be built along with the new Music Farm?
I was under the assumption that Music Farm Columbia does have a beer garden. I haven't checked it out yet, but I saw them building what appeared to be according to the plans that showed a beer garden in front of the building.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:26 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,502,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I was under the assumption that Music Farm Columbia does have a beer garden. I haven't checked it out yet, but I saw them building what appeared to be according to the plans that showed a beer garden in front of the building.
I was under that impression, too. I doubt the Free Times overlooked that. Maybe they mean a dedicated beer garden like Bay Street Biergarten in Charleston (which is awesome, by the way, and a concept that would do really well in Columbia).

Old 12-10-2014, 06:49 PM

199 posts, read 204,472 times
I'm down with a biscuit festival.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 PM

665 posts, read 603,523 times
Quote:

From the link above: "Or how dangerous it is to cross the street at the corner of Gervais and Assembly, or Assembly and Taylor?"

What gets me is the people who turn right and act like YOU are the problem when hey almost hit you and you have the walk symbol. I've been honked at before and also called a gay slur while crossing the street. My friend from Atlanta though tells me it's much worse there. To quote him, "they will just run you over there." To be fair , I usually have no problems when walking columbia but I just wish something could be done about those drivers who are turning right, because in the cases when I do have a problem that is the situation.

Also as I was turning left onto (I think) laurel st from assembly the other day a guy zoomed into the crosswalk on a bicycle and I almost hit him. It's good columbia is trying to educate cyclists that they need to ride in the road -- not the sidewalks.

If I ever become incredibly wealthy I'm going to donate money to build pedestrian tunnels at gervais /assembly and also crossing gervais to get to the state house from main st. Crossing there is soemtimes a pain. But at the end of the day I still love walking this city.

Last edited by Bouje2; 12-12-2014 at 08:10 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 09:28 PM

6,635 posts, read 14,136,248 times
My solution for Assembly Street is this:

Narrow from 6 lanes to 4 from Elmwood to the stadium;
Remove the median parking, where applicable;
Widen the median into a linear park with benches, artwork, etc;
Widen the sidewalks so that there can be al fresco dining the entire length of the street;
It could become our Champs Elysees!

Old 12-13-2014, 09:07 AM

665 posts, read 603,523 times
Just heard next week may be the last week for Wine Down. Owners are moving to brevard nc. The owner from what I'm told (so again I don't have first hand knowledge) wants to put his own office there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or