U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM

9,475 posts, read 13,167,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
So maybe the Chamber's marketing packets and advertising is working after all!
Some young, bright, energetic people have done a lot of hard work to get the word out. So have older city and area leaders. The word is Columbia is just getting started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,765,328 times
Quote:
So maybe the Chamber's marketing packets and advertising is working after all!
Maybe we should all take another page from Greenville's playbill since this worked so well......Columbia will announce a new 21 story Highrise to be built in 2018 along with a couple of 10 story midrises in 2015 and a complex of midrises on Assembly in 2018. There are 4 30story towers that will be built in Charlotte in 2017. And, all companies in Columbia will now be required to have an "I love Columbia" testimonial on their website. Finally, we will ask all leaders to dismiss other cities. Hey, if it works so well for magazines, it should work well elsewhere.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,155,697 times
Announcing one's intentions for their real estate is not a new concept. This happens everywhere, including Columbia and Charlotte. I'm not sure why you're trying to give credit for this strategy to certain developers.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago that someone announced unrealized plans to build two 20+ story student housing buildings in the Vista? Bob Ellis did this with his Pinnacle on Main in Greenville. It happens all the time. Heck, the fact that Hughes bought the Bull Street property PROBABLY indicates that he wants to develop it. I don't think that's offensive or a no-no.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM

10,063 posts, read 19,936,869 times
Charlotte is getting four 30 story buildings? Why didn't you tell us sooner GSP101? Don't hold out on us.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Announcing one's intentions for their real estate is not a new concept. This happens everywhere, including Columbia and Charlotte. I'm not sure why you're trying to give credit for this strategy to certain developers.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago that someone announced unrealized plans to build two 20+ story student housing buildings in the Vista? Bob Ellis did this with his Pinnacle on Main in Greenville. It happens all the time. Heck, the fact that Hughes bought the Bull Street property PROBABLY indicates that he wants to develop it. I don't think that's offensive or a no-no.
I have seen projects announced that were never built. I just don't think you see a developer announce we are building a 300 room hotel and MAY start construction in a couple of years. And, we have no idea who will operate the building. Spectrum announced that they are studying what will be built at the corner of S Tryon and Stonewall but did not say we will build this down the road. Spectrum's announcement was more conceptual and not one to say "look what coming in 3 years". Could be a form over substance issue but, it is two different approaches to a similar concept. Spectrum's announcement was not driven to make a point, it was "here is what we think will happen based on the market".

Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Charlotte is getting four 30 story buildings? Why didn't you tell us sooner GSP101? Don't hold out on us.
If it is only 4, I will be surprised.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM

9,475 posts, read 13,167,899 times
Greenville and Charlotte duke it out in a Columbia thread. I knew there had to be a way to get Greenville off Columbia's case.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I have seen projects announced that were never built. I just don't think you see a developer announce we are building a 300 room hotel and MAY start construction in a couple of years. And, we have no idea who will operate the building. Spectrum announced that they are studying what will be built at the corner of S Tryon and Stonewall but did not say we will build this down the road. Spectrum's announcement was more conceptual and not one to say "look what coming in 3 years". Could be a form over substance issue but, it is two different approaches to a similar concept. Spectrum's announcement was not driven to make a point, it was "here is what we think will happen based on the market".
I think it is no surprise to see developers jockeying for position to build different things. That's what I think this is. I believe JHM probably made their intent known for the purpose of discouraging other developers who are considering hotels downtown. What we saw follow was an Embassy Suites thrown out there from Windsor Aughtry, and we have long known rumors of a hotel for the next phase of Project One. It's smart business if it works, right?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I think it is no surprise to see developers jockeying for position to build different things. That's what I think this is. I believe JHM probably made their intent known for the purpose of discouraging other developers who are considering hotels downtown. What we saw follow was an Embassy Suites thrown out there from Windsor Aughtry, and we have long known rumors of a hotel for the next phase of Project One. It's smart business if it works, right?
The key phrase being "if it works". Are you thinking that Greenville can't support the 460 hotel rooms announced? Usually you see this tactic closer to construction. It happened with 2 apartment towers in Charlotte and 2 outlet center but, both started construction or were within a rezoning process within months of the announcement. Saying we will start a hotel without he slightest but of information seems a little more contrived.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The key phrase being "if it works". Are you thinking that Greenville can't support the 460 hotel rooms announced? Usually you see this tactic closer to construction. It happened with 2 apartment towers in Charlotte and 2 outlet center but, both started construction or were within a rezoning process within months of the announcement. Saying we will start a hotel without he slightest but of information seems a little more contrived.
Maybe so, but we will see. As for the number of rooms: I'd rather see one come online at a time. If the market demands another, then let it happen then. But alas, the free market will work things out for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or