U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 11:52 AM

9,614 posts, read 13,741,523 times

Advertisements

The Weather Channel's Travel page names Congaree National Park the most amazing hidden gem in South Carolina

http://www.weather.com/travel/news/h...ms-every-state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 04:31 PM

322 posts, read 375,273 times
A neighborhood Walmart grocery store coming to Broad River/St Andrews.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 AM

572 posts, read 735,186 times
More visitors from Ohio...

Columbia has undergone grand recovery in past 150 years | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 05-20-2015, 11:34 AM

665 posts, read 603,523 times
Travelled through Knoxville yesterday, and I found it interesting how I-40 basically takes you right through the heart of Knoxville.

Sometimes I wish columbia's interstates were more like this... Don't get me wrong, for efficiency sake, the way ours is setup makes sense. Only those who are going downtown get onto I-126 or I-277 and the rest are kept away from the city center. But I just think it would be nice on some other level if those traveling to charleston came closer to the city center. I guess the view of the city in the distance is nice...
I just wish the view were a little closer I guess.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,502,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Travelled through Knoxville yesterday, and I found it interesting how I-40 basically takes you right through the heart of Knoxville.

Sometimes I wish columbia's interstates were more like this... Don't get me wrong, for efficiency sake, the way ours is setup makes sense. Only those who are going downtown get onto I-126 or I-277 and the rest are kept away from the city center. But I just think it would be nice on some other level if those traveling to charleston came closer to the city center.
I know what you're saying, close-in city views from freeways can provide nice views. However, from an urban design standpoint, freeways through city centers are a disaster. They're noisy, create undesirable scars through downtown, reduce walkability, and create makeshift no-mans-lands. Look at the downtown connector in Atlanta for a great example. Some cities are taking them down now, such as Seattle, and this is what Boston did, albeit expensively, with the Big Dig. With that in mind, I think we're lucky that the three major cities in South Carolina largely avoided this fate.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Thank God Columbia avoided being gutted by a highway.

Highways gutted American cities. So why did they build them? - Vox

Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,421,852 times
I've always thought the same thing, Bouje2. Orlando is a city that comes to mind that has great views from the interstate. It makes sense though, that an interstate through the city can cause a lot of problems

Old 05-20-2015, 03:26 PM

In short, the article I posted says interstates were built into the fabric of cities for the convenience of those who had moved to the suburbs, and highway construction in many cases occurred as a convenient way to rip out the blight that had occurred when the suburbanites fled the cities and left behind properties that then decreased in value and became affordable enough for even the hopelessly disadvantaged to move into.

And wouldn't you know it - now that cities are getting hip enough to focus on public transportation - because it's now getting to be cool to ride the bus - I read an article the other day that explained how public transit is failing poor people by leaving them out of the picture and not providing adequate service to get them from their farther- and farther-flung living quarters, now that living in the city has become cool again and gentrification is forcing poor people out, way out.

This country needs to get its act together and truly become a land where everyone can participate in the American Dream, the "dream" that the New York Times today insinuates is a farce, with income inequality the highest it has been in 30 years (Actually I think it said since the 1930s.). The Times article says the percentage of people who believe that upward mobility is attainable if one works hard is grossly inflated according to the reality of it. It says rich people use the American Dream/hard work argument to make themselves feel better and to keep their sense of deserving what they have, while a very large percentage of poor people have faith that they, too, can achieve the American Dream with hard work, even though in the vast majority of poor people's cases, the odds are stacked solidly against them in terms of getting enough traction going, even if they somehow miraculously get a college degree despite where they come from and what their life experiences have been.

Columbia never got its guts ripped out by an interstate, and areas of this city seem to be all mixed up with no huge swaths of residential districts breeding poverty to the point that people live so deep in a ghetto that they seldom if ever even make it out physcially for a day to see anything other than severe decay and hopelessness. I don't know if people in Columbia said 'N - O spells NO!' to an interstate plowing through town, but I am thankful beyond measure that we don't have one.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,502,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I don't know if people in Columbia said 'N - O spells NO!' to an interstate plowing through town, but I am thankful beyond measure that we don't have one.
Didn't residents' objections kill a proposed connector freeway from 277 to 126 through Cottontown and Elmwood Park? I'm not old enough to remember when this was proposed, but I have heard this is why there is no connection between the two feeder freeways. If so, we should be grateful. The historic charm of those neighborhoods far outweighs the (perhaps negligible) reduction in congestion on Bull and Elmwood.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:22 PM

6,635 posts, read 14,136,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Didn't residents' objections kill a proposed connector freeway from 277 to 126 through Cottontown and Elmwood Park? I'm not old enough to remember when this was proposed, but I have heard this is why there is no connection between the two feeder freeways. If so, we should be grateful. The historic charm of those neighborhoods far outweighs the (perhaps negligible) reduction in congestion on Bull and Elmwood.
That is correct; 277 was originally supposed to cross through Cottontown and Elmwood Park with an interchange at I-126 and then continue south through the Vista and connect with I-77 between Bluff Road and the river. Residents of Cottontown and Elmwood Park squashed that plan. Imagine how that would have destroyed the Vista, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or