Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 AM

15,703 posts, read 9,405,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
If the City of Columbia buys the Palmetto Compress Building... I can see Walmart going into it....
There are few things in life that I am ever certain about. One thing I think can very clearly be said is that there will not be a Wal Mart on the site of the Compress Building in any lifetime of anyone on this thread or their grandchildren. The City bought that building in hopes of preserving it. I know things could change and it may come down yet, but not to be replacved by a Wal Mart. Nowhere near enough room on the lot, for starters.

Palmetto Compress & Warehouse Co. 03/10/2013 by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM

8,130 posts, read 13,177,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There are few things in life that I am ever certain about. One thing I think can very clearly be said is that there will not be a Wal Mart on the site of the Compress Building in any lifetime of anyone on this thread or their grandchildren. The City bought that building in hopes of preserving it. I know things could change and it may come down yet, but not to be replacved by a Wal Mart. Nowhere near enough room on the lot, for starters.

Palmetto Compress & Warehouse Co. 03/10/2013 by Joseph C. Hinson Photography, on Flickr

Walmart is developing an urban prototype to compete with Target. Target has started moving into urban areas and operating on smaller footprints which then requires less space for parking, storage, etc....So my thoughts on it becoming a Walmart.. is not the Walmart that you see in Harbison or Village of the Sandhills but one that could be half or even a third of the size.....

A Look Inside Walmart’s Urban 90 Supercenter | InStore Trends

Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM

15,703 posts, read 9,405,436 times
I've heard that Wal Mart is offering smaller stores and one of those was likely the one rumored to be coming to Assembly. That site is still too small as it is bounded on all sides by stuff that isn't moving.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM

12,736 posts, read 18,531,369 times
Columbia cashes in on the Master's with its proximity to Augusta via I-20.

"Golf enthusiast and Courtyard Marriott guest Bill Magette agrees, and says he came from Southern California for the tournament. "My brother's been to the Masters several times, and he played the course a month ago," says Magette. "He said, ‘Columbia's a nice place, great restaurants, great places to hang out,'" he adds." - WIS-10 News

http://www.wistv.com/story/21941989/...n-golf-tourism

Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM

What with the Columbia Museum of Art, McKissick Museum, the State Museum, Benedict College's art gallery and many other venues, it was already safe to say Columbia was a visual art center. It just got a lot safer to say so.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM

8,130 posts, read 13,177,257 times
Default Some Local Yokles are going to flip out

Seems like alot of traffic is heading to downtown Columbia this weekend.. It wont be "your" vista this weekend....

COLUMBIA, SC: Traffic jams in downtown Columbia begin tonight | Local News | The State

Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM

It's really mostly about promoting what you've got, and the Columbia Metropolitan Convention & Visitors' Bureau chief is on the ball doing that.

Turns Out, South Carolina Is Where Everyone Wants to Be | wltx.com

Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Driving back through downtown around 8:45 this morning on the way home from breakfast in Cayce (Yes, I spread the wealth a little bit sometimes.), my partner and I noted a new normal in early Sunday morning activity. People were milling about from the river all the way up Gervais Street and up Main from Gervais to Taylor, where we turned and headed home. People were walking their dogs, standing on street corners talking, walking down the street from their apartments, probably to breakfast or to get a newspaper, etc, etc. It felt so authentic. The downtown scene is becoming continually more vibrant.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Tennis anyone?

Cayce Tennis & Fitness Center Named 2013 Public Facility of the Year | MidlandsBiz

Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM

I just spent a couple of hours Google-mapping myself through NW Washington, DC, Charleston and Columbia with Street View. Columbia holds its own for a city its size for having continual urban development on a grid. It appears clean, crisp and nicely landscaped with an impressive tree canopy and lots of shrubs and flowers. For any apologies Columbia must make for having some empty corners with pavement or derelict properties, the other two cities must make as many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area