Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 03:59 PM

8,136 posts, read 13,183,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I just call Columbia "Cola." Rolls off the tongue nicely.

You could have a commercial with people in a tiny apartment in NYC in the winter saying "I WANT MY COLA" (Cost of Living Adjustment) and then show them in a sprawling Shandon Four Square sipping Coca Cola in a rocking chair in the summer paying a mortgage that was equal to half their NYC apartment rent...Then a Morgan Freeman type voice can say.. "Where's Your COLA?" as the persons responds.."Right here in Columbia, South Carolina...I've got my COLA where's yours?"

Columbia's population would increase by 5,000 in one year with people from NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 05:02 PM

273 posts, read 241,800 times
I love it lol

Old 03-17-2017, 04:26 PM

I guess these are copy right protected which is too bad.. "Soda City.....Famously Refreshing" ( drop the mic and walks off)

Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM

1,133 posts, read 932,243 times
We asked young professionals how to make the Midlands better. Here’s what they said.

20 Under 40 leaders share their ideas for a better Columbia, Midlands | The State

Old 03-21-2017, 03:02 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,932,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
We asked young professionals how to make the Midlands better. Here’s what they said.

20 Under 40 leaders share their ideas for a better Columbia, Midlands | The State
All good points, especially the marketing and based off of the previous post, they are attempting to take care of that.

The thing with the marketing is that it must be something people buy into and can get behind. The best ambassadors of an area are the people that live there and the pride the take in where they live. Greenville has more pride in their city than I think I have ever seen in a single place (yes, even more than Charleston) and it shows.

I have noticed the couple of times I have been back down to Columbia that the community pride has seemed to really pick up a lot and hopefully we see that grow because the city really has a lot to offer and is truly a great place to live and people need to see that and hear that from people who live there. That's how a perception will change.

I will say one thing that I have heard a lot from people about Columbia especially up here in Greenville is a negative impression of the city because they've only been to Five Points or to a football game or another thing related to USC. Of course all of these things are valued attributes to the city but if all someone knows of Columbia is going to a USC game and then a late night in Five Points afterwards, I would agree that Columbia isn't the nicest place on earth. Oddly enough, nearly all of the people I know that have a negative perception of Columbia have only really been to a football game and Five Points in college. I have brought them back and taken them to the Vista and they were blown away.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
All good points, especially the marketing and based off of the previous post, they are attempting to take care of that.

The thing with the marketing is that it must be something people buy into and can get behind. The best ambassadors of an area are the people that live there and the pride the take in where they live. Greenville has more pride in their city than I think I have ever seen in a single place (yes, even more than Charleston) and it shows.

I have noticed the couple of times I have been back down to Columbia that the community pride has seemed to really pick up a lot and hopefully we see that grow because the city really has a lot to offer and is truly a great place to live and people need to see that and hear that from people who live there. That's how a perception will change.

I will say one thing that I have heard a lot from people about Columbia especially up here in Greenville is a negative impression of the city because they've only been to Five Points or to a football game or another thing related to USC. Of course all of these things are valued attributes to the city but if all someone knows of Columbia is going to a USC game and then a late night in Five Points afterwards, I would agree that Columbia isn't the nicest place on earth. Oddly enough, nearly all of the people I know that have a negative perception of Columbia have only really been to a football game and Five Points in college. I have brought them back and taken them to the Vista and they were blown away.

Wow.. that's interesting.. It seems that many people think that Columbia is one big college or military town. Five Points is both a blessing and a curse for the city.. but oddly enough.. it has really only gotten a bad rap within the last 10 years or so.. In the 90s Five Points was just as rowdy as it is today.. but I didn't get the sense that there were as many brawls or robberies which has really been the result of a few problem establishments... most of which may even be closed now. Investors are still lining up to put new restaurants, stores, and developments down there.. so I feel the area is again turning the corner for the better.

Columbia is also the closest thing SC has to a "big city" given the City's diversity, population, socioeconomics, politics, and economic base. That aspect has both positive and negative connotations that accompany most big cities such as crime and poverty, which from a national perspective is somewhat small, but in a rural state like SC stand out. . Then its the state capitol which means "govmit" thus universally hated by many in SC. Charleston is a tourism City and Greenville is more of a smaller and homogenous city in terms of socioeconomics, economic base, a centralized downtown and commercial areas(as opposed to multiple areas bifurcated by rivers) which is more familiar and acceptable to most SC residents. I don't believe many people from outside SC and/or non native born have the same negative impression of Columbia as many natives.

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-21-2017 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM

733 posts, read 550,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wow.. that's interesting.. It seems that many people think that Columbia is one big college or military town. Five Points is both a blessing and a curse for the city.. but oddly enough.. it has really only gotten a bad rap within the last 10 years or so.. In the 90s Five Points was just as rowdy as it is today.. but I didn't get the sense that there were as many brawls or robberies which has really been the result of a few problem establishments... most of which may even be closed now. Investors are still lining up to put new restaurants, stores, and developments down there.. so I feel the area is again turning the corner for the better.

Columbia is also the closest thing SC has to a "big city" given the City's diversity, population, socioeconomics, politics, and economic base. That aspect has both positive and negative connotations that accompany most big cities such as crime and poverty, which from a national perspective is somewhat small, but in a rural state like SC stand out. . Then its the state capitol which means "govmit" thus universally hated by many in SC. Charleston is a tourism City and Greenville is more of a smaller and homogenous city in terms of socioeconomics, economic base, a centralized downtown and commercial areas(as opposed to multiple areas bifurcated by rivers) which is more familiar and acceptable to most SC residents. I don't believe many people from outside SC and/or non native born have the same negative impression of Columbia as many natives.
I went to Greenville for the first time in years this weekend (for the NCAA tournament, go Gamecocks!) and I was surprised by how small it was. The Reedy River area is absolutely beautiful, so I can understand why people in Greenville would think that Columbia is shabby by comparison. Given the size of the city and all of the great features (USC, historical architecture on Main Street, the Vista and the museums, the river frontage), I think Columbia has infinitely more potential. It will take time to fully capitalize on them by finding a way to connect the disparate sites. If Columbia can do that and market the city in a cohesive way, I think people will be shocked by what a gem was hiding in plain sight.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I went to Greenville for the first time in years this weekend (for the NCAA tournament, go Gamecocks!) and I was surprised by how small it was. The Reedy River area is absolutely beautiful, so I can understand why people in Greenville would think that Columbia is shabby by comparison. Given the size of the city and all of the great features (USC, historical architecture on Main Street, the Vista and the museums, the river frontage), I think Columbia has infinitely more potential. It will take time to fully capitalize on them by finding a way to connect the disparate sites. If Columbia can do that and market the city in a cohesive way, I think people will be shocked by what a gem was hiding in plain sight.
To add to that .... the vista , downtown, five points, NoMa, Bull St, Rosewood , Devine St . Columbia has or has created multiple entertainment/business districts Greenville to its credit has been able to focus its efforts while columbia has made incremental improvements in several areas spread across the city. It has now built some critical mass in the vista and downtown that should serve it well going forward

Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 PM

2,121 posts, read 2,241,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I couldn't have said it any better. I was in Greenville as well and I was talking to an acquaintance that basically reiterated the same; that Greenville has a bourgening Main Street but outside of the very small and dense urban footprint, there's little else. Columbia has great "bones", it's just a matter of putting the work in to fill it and make dozens of Greenville's Main Street. And I don't mean to copy Greenvilles Main Street but to make it just as happening of a place, except in many more areas since Columbia has the room and districts to do that.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 PM

5,465 posts, read 8,248,478 times
There is actually stuff outside of Greenville's main street. That's just the area visitors focus on. You can say it's small, but it still centers the most populated county and msa. It's made to feel small to create charm. There is construction going on all around downtown. It exceeds main.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area