Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 10:58 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,480,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Hell, we’ve been hearing this the last 5 or 6 years. Seems like even with the addition of the tower at Main and Gervais in 2010 or so office space has been at a premium. Maybe now with the demand for office space and hotels we can see a dual use hotel/office building. Is there such a thing or only in my dreams? And a 30 story building, at that. Yes, that’d be nice.
I agree; mixed use, 30+ stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 02:06 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,323,792 times
Default I stand by my initial prediction announced in 2020 built by 2023

The article makes case that it's not imminent. We're getting there but vacancy rate still doesn't justify it

Old 10-07-2017, 08:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 932,243 times
Back on the Rail transit topic. Someone here was talking about a test Type system where we can test this for a certain time to see how it goes in the area.

I have a similar idea. How about instead of a Full on Downtown to Newberry line how about a Downtown to Irmo line. I was just reading the study CMCOG did back in 2013 and it shows the density map and pretty much shows density within a 1 mile radius of the track it's pretty strong and we can all after that the I26 corridor is growing really fast and spreading North West fast.

A Line from downtown to Irmo could be a start and Newberry be the extension. stops will be (wherever the Hub gonna be at in downtown) USC, Innovista, Riverbank Zoo,St Andrews rd, Harbison and Irmo

Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 AM

511 posts, read 424,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
What happened to the Columbia Mall or Columbia Place thread? I just saw that Best Buy across from there is closing. The last time I drove through there, Best Buy was about the only redeeming place of business in that area. I don't know what in the world the answer is for that stretch.
If it wasn't for the Hero Korean place, I don't think I would be driving past Parklane on Two Notch. Just nothing between that and Columbia I care about.

BTW - Hero Korean has the Korean BBQ tables where you can cook the meat at your table. I don't think we have any others in Columbia. Decker Korean places are willing to pull a hot plate out, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Columbia Mall was sketchy back in the 90's. Just a dead area of town. Don't imagine that part of town improving anytime soon. Decker is slowly improving, but the intersection of Decker & Two Notch is dead. Kmart is gone already so that is empty. And the really bad Columbia Mall. Then behind Columbia Mall you have the bad areas up there. I remember that was the Circuit City for the NE. Used to have two movie theaters up there.

Just nothing now.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 AM

8,136 posts, read 13,183,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
What happened to the Columbia Mall or Columbia Place thread? I just saw that Best Buy across from there is closing. The last time I drove through there, Best Buy was about the only redeeming place of business in that area. I don't know what in the world the answer is for that stretch.

Its somewhat marginalized for now.. until Richland County gets "creative" and offers Columbia like incentives to the Mall owners to convert it into mixed use development of sorts..... I could see that happening one day as the County tries to figure out how to compete with downtown.. though most sane people know the City IS in the County. They have been trying to figure out how to revitalize that area.. one idea was an International Business District.. though I don't know how well that is working.. since I have only seen signs and not any coordinated promotional efforts...

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-09-2017 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM

If we're looking into getting Commuter rail and they want to be cheap then they should look into the Trains Austin Texas have.

They have Diesel powered light rail trains instead of electric lines. They are big look like they hold a pretty good amount of people something like this would be perfect for Columbia. Downtown to Irmo line.

https://youtu.be/MuBUs34Kh9s

Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 PM

Heres my little Rendering idea for the Downtown to Newberry Line.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4503/3...983b2d38_o.png

Old 10-10-2017, 06:38 AM

511 posts, read 424,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
If we're looking into getting Commuter rail and they want to be cheap then they should look into the Trains Austin Texas have.

They have Diesel powered light rail trains instead of electric lines. They are big look like they hold a pretty good amount of people something like this would be perfect for Columbia. Downtown to Irmo line.

https://youtu.be/MuBUs34Kh9s
Looks cool and clean.

Now, are there any metros similar size and demographics to Columbia that have a rail system? And are they successful. I only think of bigger cities, and they tend to add them after they get big. Atlanta and Charlotte are near us.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:14 AM

37,793 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Its somewhat marginalized for now.. until Richland County gets "creative" and offers Columbia like incentives to the Mall owners to convert it into mixed use development of sorts..... I could see that happening one day as the County tries to figure out how to compete with downtown.. though most sane people know the City IS in the County. They have been trying to figure out how to revitalize that area.. one idea was an International Business District.. though I don't know how well that is working.. since I have only seen signs and not any coordinated promotional efforts...
Unfortunately, it seems as though the oldest post-war suburban areas are the least popular neighborhoods within cities today and you can see this in other cities all across the country; dead or dying malls are hallmarks of these areas. But as downtown areas become more expensive, these neighborhoods will eventually become more attractive to more people who wish to be in relatively close proximity to the urban core. Those 60's-70's era ranch houses have good bones and the infrastructure is in place to accommodate a larger population.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Looks cool and clean.

Now, are there any metros similar size and demographics to Columbia that have a rail system? And are they successful. I only think of bigger cities, and they tend to add them after they get big. Atlanta and Charlotte are near us.
I know in Europe there's plenty of Cities with areas populations around 250,000 that has a successful rail system.

I think Columbia is behind the times because of the fact that our generation is like the No car generation i think Columbia has the population that wants it and needs it to work.

Look at the CMCOG 2013 density study and it shows at least from downtown to Irmo there's enough density but Chapin North it isn't quite there yet.

Hints why I was saying that A Columbia to Irmo starter line would be nice i even made a little rendering ml myself if you scroll up above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area