Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I live near that store, but didn't care for it and haven't been in there for years. The people I feel bad for are those without transportation. There is a Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly not far from there, though.

I had been in there when it was a Bi Lo (not as Harveys) and noticed a lot of people that come there do walk from the surrounding neighborhoods.. That is one of the appealing things about its location.. its in "downtown" Eau Claire so to speak and you have a few restaurants, medical office, elementary school, the Lutheran Seminary, and other services within walking distance for a number of residents. Its one of the few areas in North Columbia that is actually pedestrian friendly when it comes to connectivity to other areas.. I am sure the City or one of the development corps will likely get involved and try to find a new store to go in there.... especially with the new senior apartments going in down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:58 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Since we don't have an all inclusive downtown thread I'll stick this here.

https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...22c361344.html

Columbia's starting a bike share program. I'd be really interested to see how this goes and how much use this will get.
Finally

Old 03-16-2018, 02:15 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...ernment/74049/

Forest acres are trying their best to stop any new development

Old 03-16-2018, 02:52 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...ernment/74049/

Forest acres are trying their best to stop any new development

LOL.. the name of the city says it all FOREST ACRES.....that alone should have told the developer all he needed to know about urban mixed use.. God Save the Trees...

Old 03-22-2018, 12:50 PM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
COMET is looking to make changes to routes, cut duplicates and shuttle people around NE Richland county better.

https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...beb01914a.html

The best part of the changes (in my opinion)-

"The new downtown Soda Cap Connector could also see a shift. After hearing public feedback, the COMET wants to run the route from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., which means it could take you from dinner in the Vista to Main Street or Five Points and back the other way." It was completely foolish to have a circulator bus operating in a business and entertainment district from 10 am until 6 pm. I would still like to see COMET take over operations of USC's bus system and use hospitality tax money to fund the Soda Cap.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 AM

46 posts, read 67,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Finally
I dont think the bike share will work here. Columbia is too hilly for the little 3 speed cruiser bikes that are normally in bike shares. Our streets are narrow and not very bicycle friendly. They will slow traffic and many will probably resort to riding on the sidewalks. I wish it could work here but unless we add bicycle lanes I dont think it will.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:59 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiknick View Post
I dont think the bike share will work here. Columbia is too hilly for the little 3 speed cruiser bikes that are normally in bike shares. Our streets are narrow and not very bicycle friendly. They will slow traffic and many will probably resort to riding on the sidewalks. I wish it could work here but unless we add bicycle lanes I dont think it will.
It'll work. I think people are eager to get out of cars and get around Columbia especially in the Vista and Downtown. Atlanta is hilly as crap and people still bike here.

Per the article, initially there will be 50 pedal assisted bikes and a portion of the profits from the bike share will go to bike infrastructure.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
For those of you thinking you can’t get a 1000 sq foot well located pad downtown for under $700, thareally isn’t the case.

Here’s a listing I found on the corner of Gregg and Hampton:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...mHomePage=true

Old 03-24-2018, 12:32 PM

26 posts, read 25,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
For those of you thinking you can’t get a 1000 sq foot well located pad downtown for under $700, thareally isn’t the case.

Here’s a listing I found on the corner of Gregg and Hampton:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...mHomePage=true
Lol that is in a horrific location

Old 03-24-2018, 09:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjligon View Post
Lol that is in a horrific location
Why is that? It's convenient to Main Street, the Vista and Five Points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area