U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM

9,614 posts, read 13,741,523 times

Advertisements

A Raleigh-based distributor is setting up in Columbia to distribute Ford auto parts throughout the southeast.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 AM

Well, well...

Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 1 day ago)

7,331 posts, read 4,418,822 times
Didn't realize this was an earlier thread and I basically just repeated what I said in Post 10

Old 01-04-2014, 05:03 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,649,912 times
Quote:
Also on tap is Lou Kennedy, president, CEO and owner of Nephron Pharmaceuticals Corp.
Kennedy will discuss how logistics factored into the Orlando, Fla., company’s decision to build a $313 million manufacturing facility in Saxe Gotha Industrial Park, near the interchange of interstates 26 and 77 near Cayce.
Nephron Pharmaceuticals Hiring for 700 Jobs in Lexington County | wltx.com

Nice.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 PM

A speculative distribution warehouse is planned for southeast Columbia.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:59 PM

Lowcountry, Upstate and North Carolina companies tour UPS in West Columbia to see the company's new Worldwide Express Freight Service as company officials call the international market a major growth area

"The company touted its new Worldwide Express Freight service, which it said provides guaranteed either way delivery of palletized international shipments to 40 countries in one to three business days." - The State

Read more here: COLUMBIA, SC: UPS in West Columbia unveils new products in push to attract new clients | Business | The State

Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 AM

Folks at Akebono (automotive brakes) there near to the airport have told me Columbia was chosen because of the UPS hub.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,892,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Orangeburg County is already attracting lots of new investment, as in investors/co's from outside the area and the U.S. I have it on good information new manufacturing plants are being set up as I type, they just haven't hired en masse, yet. Just a matter of time before Orangeburg Cty starts to buzz with manufacturing and logistics activity.

There's still talk of a 'truck only' highway to be built from Orangburg Cty to Charleston, it just hasn't gotten past the planning stages, yet. Between the investment there and what should happen in the future in Sumter Cty after Continental moved in, that whole area southeast of Columbia should be buzzing, soon enough.

USC is graduating some of the top folks with business degrees which deal with logistics, arguably some of the best in the entire country. I've met a few grads from their logistics-centric programs, and none have had trouble finding jobs in the past few years, in fact every one of them were hired by top companies right out of school.
Orangeburg is losing population, I don't think it will have significant projects other than a few here and there. As for logistics, with UPS at CAE, the inland port at GSP and the intermodal facility at CLT, any sort of logistics hub in Orangeburg is meaningless.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Orangeburg is losing population, I don't think it will have significant projects other than a few here and there. As for logistics, with UPS at CAE, the inland port at GSP and the intermodal facility at CLT, any sort of logistics hub in Orangeburg is meaningless.
Good points, however we know folks who work there, and have good jobs right in Orangeburg, but they commute from Columbia.

Personally, I wouldn't care to live there.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM

29,726 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Good points, however we know folks who work there, and have good jobs right in Orangeburg, but they commute from Columbia.

Personally, I wouldn't care to live there.
I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't chose to live there, especially if they are used to a more urban environment. But yes, there are people with good jobs there and Orangeburg County can handle a big manufacturing development much like the ones that have landed elsewhere in the state (e.g., Continental in Sumter). With its strategic location at the I-95/I-26 interchange, it's only a matter of time before its potential is exploited. I also hope that the South Carolina Center for Biotechnology at Claflin University becomes more prominent and generates a respectable number of biotech jobs in Orangeburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or