Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times

Advertisements

The attached article is about the importance of logistics and growing the logistics industry in South Carolina. The importance of factors such as access to interstates, airports, rail, and sea ports are ranked in the news release.

Can you say I-26, I-20, I-77, I-95, UPS at Columbia Metropolitan Airport, Norfolk Southern, CSX and the Port of Charleston in one breath? Columbia, Columbia, Columbia.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Columbia also has direct access via I-26 to I-95 to an even busier Port of Savannah.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
SC has always been interested in attracting a second auto plant. With connections to major ports, the interstates and access to Charlotte Douglas for international flights, this area seems like a natural for a plant. Of course politics often drives which locations are made available. SCANA should take a lead is getting more large scale plants, Duke is very active in recruiting industry for their service area.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM

I could see a second automotive plant in SC going to Orangeburg County, near the I-26/I-95 junction. That's one of the most underutilized logistical locations in the state--again, with direct connections to two of the busiest ports of the East Coast and the nation's primary north-south highway.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I could see a second automotive plant in SC going to Orangeburg County, near the I-26/I-95 junction. That's one of the most underutilized logistical locations in the state--again, with direct connections to two of the busiest ports of the East Coast and the nation's primary north-south highway.
Orangeburg County is already attracting lots of new investment, as in investors/co's from outside the area and the U.S. I have it on good information new manufacturing plants are being set up as I type, they just haven't hired en masse, yet. Just a matter of time before Orangeburg Cty starts to buzz with manufacturing and logistics activity.

There's still talk of a 'truck only' highway to be built from Orangburg Cty to Charleston, it just hasn't gotten past the planning stages, yet. Between the investment there and what should happen in the future in Sumter Cty after Continental moved in, that whole area southeast of Columbia should be buzzing, soon enough.

USC is graduating some of the top folks with business degrees which deal with logistics, arguably some of the best in the entire country. I've met a few grads from their logistics-centric programs, and none have had trouble finding jobs in the past few years, in fact every one of them were hired by top companies right out of school.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Orangeburg County is already attracting lots of new investment, as in investors/co's from outside the area and the U.S. I have it on good information new manufacturing plants are being set up as I type, they just haven't hired en masse, yet. Just a matter of time before Orangeburg Cty starts to buzz with manufacturing and logistics activity.

There's still talk of a 'truck only' highway to be built from Orangburg Cty to Charleston, it just hasn't gotten past the planning stages, yet. Between the investment there and what should happen in the future in Sumter Cty after Continental moved in, that whole area southeast of Columbia should be buzzing, soon enough.

USC is graduating some of the top folks with business degrees which deal with logistics, arguably some of the best in the entire country. I've met a few grads from their logistics-centric programs, and none have had trouble finding jobs in the past few years, in fact every one of them were hired by top companies right out of school.
I haven't been keeping up with all the developments happening in my home county; GREAT to hear that new investment is headed that way. Things seemed to slow down after the recession stymied the huge planned Jafza development, as well as plans for an inland port. I did see the county listed as an emerging area for logistics, so that's very promising.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

Wasnt there talk one time of an "inland port" on the Lake Marion/Moultrie near I-95? I wished Columbia had a small port on the Congaree similiar to what Richmond has on the James River.. Would have been an interesting addition to the area's economy..though it would likely be more barge traffic as opposed to a true deep water river port like Richmond.... I guess the Congaree isnt even deep enough for that and the bends in the river would make it a logistical nightmare....Too bad the Confederates didnt extend the canal all the way to Santee in the run up to the War but I guess the railroads killed that idea....

Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wasnt there talk one time of an "inland port" on the Lake Marion/Moultrie near I-95? I wished Columbia had a small port on the Congaree similiar to what Richmond has on the James River.. Would have been an interesting addition to the area's economy..though it would likely be more barge traffic as opposed to a true deep water river port like Richmond.... I guess the Congaree isnt even deep enough for that and the bends in the river would make it a logistical nightmare....Too bad the Confederates didnt extend the canal all the way to Santee in the run up to the War but I guess the railroads killed that idea....
You may already realize this, but "Inland ports" don't need water. Ground was just broken on one in Greer, which is tied directly to the Port of Charleston via railroad. It should alleviate a good bit of truck traffic on I-26 when complete.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
A boost for logistics in Columbia:

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chester county and the L&C has been actively recruiting for an auto manufactuer to come to a tract of land on SC 9 at Exit 65 on I-77. My understanding is that BMW actually looked at it when they were considering South Carolina and ultimately decided on Greenville. It's on the L&C Railway which connects to both CSX and Norfolk Southern. It's on a four lane road less than a mile from I-77. From 77, you have quick access north to 485, 85 and 40. South you are within 45 minutes to 20 and 26.

Not to mention Chester needs jobs like a mofo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area