Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 PM

39 posts, read 62,740 times

Advertisements

My personal opinion; i think that the village of sandhills is built in the wrong location. A mall type area like that should've been built beside an interstate. That's why the Columbiana mall is thriving more than the sandhills. When malls are built near the interstste; not only does it attracts locals, but it also attracts travelers that are passing through. Most travelers don't want to get off of I-20 or I-77 and then have to drive 3 to 4 miles in to town to go shopping at sandhills. They rather have shopping near their route (like the columbiana mall is beside I-26). I've worked at the Columbiana mall and majority of the people i've ran into was travelers who was passing through Columbia and saw the mall and decided to stop in and look around. I like sandhills; but it would've been better built beside I-20 or I-77
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,958,476 times
South Park mall in charlotte is 3 or 4 miles from the interstate and is very successful

Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERBENJ View Post
My personal opinion; i think that the village of sandhills is built in the wrong location. A mall type area like that should've been built beside an interstate. That's why the Columbiana mall is thriving more than the sandhills. When malls are built near the interstste; not only does it attracts locals, but it also attracts travelers that are passing through. Most travelers don't want to get off of I-20 or I-77 and then have to drive 3 to 4 miles in to town to go shopping at sandhills. They rather have shopping near their route (like the columbiana mall is beside I-26). I've worked at the Columbiana mall and majority of the people i've ran into was travelers who was passing through Columbia and saw the mall and decided to stop in and look around. I like sandhills; but it would've been better built beside I-20 or I-77
I haven't been out to either VAS or Columbia Place Mall in a long time, but I thought the mall had lost a lot of business to VAS.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I haven't been out to either VAS or Columbia Place Mall in a long time, but I thought the mall had lost a lot of business to VAS.
Certainly Columbia Place has lost ground to VAS.. Columbiana I think is still doing well because of the ever growing Harbison Road Corridor, Lake Country, and Irmo areas. It is also along an Interstate as others have referenced. Columbia Place is not visable from the interstate and is surrounded by neighborhoods that have stagnated or in decline. One simply needs to look at the strip mall behind it and count the occupied stores (most are vacant) not to mention the high vacancy inside the mall itself. I dont know if Columbia Place will every come back.. It probably needs a major redo and become office space along with mini storage which is what happened to the Decker Mall before the County bought it. Ironically Decker Mall's demise was because of Columbia Mall.. Decker is being repurposed... so I imagine its only a matter of time before Columbia Place is as well....

Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERBENJ View Post
Sandhills was trying to solidify itself as the premier shopping district for the NE.. From a geographic perspective.. they are in the right place. If they were over at Clemson Road and I-20...most of their customer base would be west of them..leaving them vulnerable to someone opening up west of them and cutting them off from their customer base. Ft Jackson is to the east/southeast and will preclude any major subdivision development in that direction. By opening up at Two Notch and Clemson Road (that intersection is a defacto highway interchange in the way its constructed) they can capture retail customers from all directions.. north, south, east, and west. In fact, Blythewood would be their only competition but they both "bookend" the NE and have their fair share since there will be no major retail centers in the "middle of the NE" to steal customers that would go east or west to these centers. In fact eventually Blythewood will become the new "middle" as development races westward to the Broad River and new development is already occurring around I-77 and Clemson Road.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 AM

678 posts, read 799,880 times
Yeah perhaps I am was too hard on the village when I called it a joke. I think it looks nice and had potential but it just always seemed so dead to me at night, except for perhaps the movie theater. admittedly maybe I'm just biased and unfair but the Harbison area seems to be more alive in general. Honestly I guess the vibe I get from Sandhills is it's a decent place to go to during the day but kind of dead at night. Maybe I'm wrong as I haven't been in a while.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Yeah perhaps I am was too hard on the village when I called it a joke. I think it looks nice and had potential but it just always seemed so dead to me at night, except for perhaps the movie theater. admittedly maybe I'm just biased and unfair but the Harbison area seems to be more alive in general. Honestly I guess the vibe I get from Sandhills is it's a decent place to go to during the day but kind of dead at night. Maybe I'm wrong as I haven't been in a while.
If you want nightlife you should be in the Vista or Five Points and not the suburbs. Even in Harbison, after midnight there won't be much to do.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I am not scared to admit that I am jealous of Columbia. Here are some things Columbia has but Greenville doesn't that I am jealous of:

-Riverbanks Zoo & Garden
-University of South Carolina
-Nice dense skyline
-Vista and Five Points
-Village at Sandhills
-Congaree National Park
-Columbiana Centre

I feel so much better getting this off my chest.
And for art lovers...

CMA celebrates 15 years as a downtown catalyst on Main Street | MidlandsBiz

Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM

252 posts, read 282,186 times
I heard Blythewood was going to be getting it's own lifestyle center type of mall soon. That'll probably be near the interstate.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM

117 posts, read 144,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
I heard Blythewood was going to be getting it's own lifestyle center type of mall soon. That'll probably be near the interstate.
What did you hear? Where? Who is the developer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area