U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM

10,358 posts, read 20,651,367 times

Advertisements

I am not scared to admit that I am jealous of Columbia. Here are some things Columbia has but Greenville doesn't that I am jealous of:

-Riverbanks Zoo & Garden
-University of South Carolina
-Nice dense skyline
-Vista and Five Points
-Village at Sandhills
-Congaree National Park
-Columbiana Centre

I feel so much better getting this off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM

9,634 posts, read 13,796,583 times
I would think a Greenville hugger would be right back at ya with Greenville's updated city zoo; Clemson; Furman - and now USC; street-level density downtown; the artists' area that's removed from the Main Street-West End-Falls Park corridor; something comparable to the Village at Sandhill; Jocasee; and whatever the mall is called - just as a Columbia hugger worth the space they're taking up ought to be able to come back tit for tat with things Columbia has for everything on a list of Greenville's assets.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM

4,540 posts, read 6,399,103 times
Both places are good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 10,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Both places are good.
I agree!

I love being back in Columbia.

Last night I loved spending the night at the Westin in Greenville.

Plenty of goodness to go around.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,899 posts, read 3,727,831 times
I'm not a native of SC and I don't understand the in-state competitiveness in this forum.

With that said, my family and I absolutely love Riverbanks Zoo - in fact, my middle daughter just went again on a school field trip last Friday. One caveat: we went to RZ during the heat of summer about 8 years ago - never again - much too hot/humid - that day, I only enjoyed the penguin exhibit LOL.

We do enjoy the Greenville Zoo especially with Kiko now (we live 3 miles south and visit often) - but, it's nothing like the experience with Riverbanks.

As most know here, the Greenville Zoo has plans to expand/renovate (or just relocate?). Here's the latest update from October '12.

I used to travel to Columbia quite often a year or two ago - it just seemed that Columbia was much bigger than Greenville (especially with Columbia's downtown area). Years ago (mid-2000's), my wife and I would dine at Thai Lotus - we loved that place - looks like it's suffered based on recent reviews.

Last edited by drfranklin; 03-24-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM

6,648 posts, read 14,176,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I'm not a native of SC and I don't understand the in-state competitiveness in this forum.

With that said, my family and I absolutely love Riverbanks Zoo - in fact, my middle daughter just went again on a school field trip last Friday. One caveat: we went to RZ during the heat of summer about 8 years ago - never again - much too hot/humid - that day, I only enjoyed the penguin exhibit LOL.

We do enjoy the Greenville Zoo especially with Kiko now (we live 3 miles south and visit often) - but, it's nothing like the experience with Riverbanks.

As most know here, the Greenville Zoo has plans to expand/renovate (or just relocate?). Here's the latest update from October '12.

I used to travel to Columbia quite often a year or two ago - it just seemed that Columbia was much bigger than Greenville (especially with Columbia's downtown area). Years ago (mid-2000's), my wife and I would dine at Thai Lotus - we loved that place - looks like it's suffered based on recent reviews.
In my opinion, Baan Sawan is the best Thai restaurant in Columbia. It has great ambience, also.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM

9,634 posts, read 13,796,583 times
The ribbon-cutting on Canal Front is close. It's amazing how quiet it is on the plaza and how loud it is just a 50 feet away overlooking the Congaree. The State Museum 100 feet in the other direction is getting a new space observatory and new entrance.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,904,446 times
Here are some things......
- The Horseshoe at Carolina
- Williams Brice
- South Carolina's best ballpark, Carolina Stadium
- Riverbanks
- The Statehouse and grounds......one of the best in the south
- A true river downtown
- The Vista and some of 5 Points
- Motor Supply Bistro
- Palmetto Trees
- Pawley's Front Porch when I don't have to drive back to Charlotte
- The Riverwalk
- The Canal

Mutiny77.......this is my opinion, hope I am not mischaracterizing anyone or overstating anything. I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong about anything.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
"Jealousy" is a subjective emotion; I can't tell someone they are wrong about an emotion they are feeling. If this had to do with incontrovertible facts, like population statistics, and you were wrong, I would tell you.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The ribbon-cutting on Canal Front is close. It's amazing how quiet it is on the plaza and how loud it is just a 50 feet away overlooking the Congaree. The State Museum 100 feet in the other direction is getting a new space observatory and new entrance.
I think it would be cool if something like an aquarium or natural history museum were built on the Kline Steel site with the primary entrance facing west, towards EdVenture. Then you could get rid of the EdVenture/State Museum parking lot and turn it into an interactive plaza/park, boxed in by Ed Venture, the State Museum, and the aquarium or natural history museum, that would serve as something of an extension of Canal Front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or