U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I don't know where to put this but the 5 story Veterans Regianol Adminstartion Office building on assembly is to be torn down. They want to replace it with a parking lot.
I just read that story and that's horrible. And to be clear, "they" is not the city but the General Services Administration out of DC. It's just mind-boggling that they wouldn't even consult leaders in the city before announcing this, especially being that the building is in a prime downtown location.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 PM

6,644 posts, read 14,168,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I don't know where to put this but the 5 story Veterans Regianol Adminstartion Office building on assembly is to be torn down. They want to replace it with a parking lot.
Where did you hear this?

Edit: I just saw the post above. This is horrible.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:23 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,551 times
Local developers say a dense, vertical downtown is Columbia's future, and the groundwork for this development is being laid now.

Future Bright for Downtown Living, Say Developers - Free-Times.com

Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM

667 posts, read 605,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Local developers say a dense, vertical downtown is Columbia's future, and the groundwork for this development is being laid now.

Future Bright for Downtown Living, Say Developers - Free-Times.com
Simply amazing. I hope this all comes through. If we build all this, I *think* we could get more students to stay after they graduate. There is a risk here since we are so close to the charlottes and Atlantas etc, and we aren't quite sure about millennials marriage behavior (how long they will continue to delay or put it off forever?), but I'm still amazed at what is happening here. To me _if_ all of this gets built and they can fill it all successfully columbia will be on the path to becoming a sort of mini Austin IMO.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM

46 posts, read 46,840 times
I agree Bouje, they do sound exciting if they can get build. What excited me was Tomlin thinking of going 24 stories on a parking garage...if i read that correctly.

Quote:
Tomlin’s company recently won a city bid to build apartments on top of six City of Columbia parking garages, a plan that “in effect turns the parking garages into tax-paying entities,” he noted.

Some of those projects will be two to three stories high; others, up to 24 stories, he said. In all, he plans 1,300 to 1,500 units on top of garages “as soon as possible.”

“This will change the skyline of Columbia,” Tomlin said.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiknick View Post
I agree Bouje, they do sound exciting if they can get build. What excited me was Tomlin thinking of going 24 stories on a parking garage...if i read that correctly.
You read it correctly. A 24-story residential building in Columbia would be a big boost for the city's image, something the city continues to struggle with according to the article. It would be the second tallest building in the state and would certainly be a hip address to call home.

I bet the taller buildings will be built later rather than sooner to allow for the smaller buildings to serve as a test of market demand before sinking more capital into a tall building. Building a white elephant would set back residential development in the city center for a decade, so this approach would make sense to me.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:07 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,405,231 times
The article states that we dont have enough housing to attract the 6,000 millis living downtown? Huh? I guess they mean enough housing downtown.. There are plenty of housing units for sale or rent throughout Columbia proper if they want to remain in the City... I am sure there is likely some housing shortages in some sectors..i.e. affordable housing for first time home buyers that want to live in say Shandon.. but there should be plenty of rental housing in and around the area especially if all the college students are moving into luxury student housing and out of places like Rosewood.

I do think that developer do and are paying attention and may start building more apartments or possibly condos in and around the City which is why Columbia Commons should be a slam dunk.. But if there is a shortage I would wonder if some of those folks may not want to live in Columbia because of interest in say ATL or Charlotte or even Charleston.. which may have more to do with the job market than Columbia as a city's quality of life

Old 06-10-2015, 09:25 AM

Charleston's job market for college grads is not better than Columbia's. At best, it is on par. Charleston's draw is its quality of life, which truly is among the best in the country.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 AM

58 posts, read 64,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
You read it correctly. A 24-story residential building in Columbia would be a big boost for the city's image, something the city continues to struggle with according to the article. It would be the second tallest building in the state and would certainly be a hip address to call home.

I bet the taller buildings will be built later rather than sooner to allow for the smaller buildings to serve as a test of market demand before sinking more capital into a tall building. Building a white elephant would set back residential development in the city center for a decade, so this approach would make sense to me.
I am still interested to see how it is logistically possible to build a complex so large on top of a parking garage. I am no engineer or architect, but it sounds like a difficult task that won't be appealing to the eye.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,405,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaPro View Post
I am still interested to see how it is logistically possible to build a complex so large on top of a parking garage. I am no engineer or architect, but it sounds like a difficult task that won't be appealing to the eye.
They can mask the garage to some extent so that it looks more like the facade of the building that they are building above.. I believe the City did some engineering studies before the RFP went out to determine the feasibility of this before issuing it and those folks that bid did their own due diligence. I think it only make sense for Columbia to go vertical that this point.. Downtown land can be expensive and difficult to assemble and there arent many prime lots left that are large enough or that arent already developed. I have always thought that downtown Columbia was OVER parked and adding residential units to the garages can make the garages more 24hr facilities rather than just 9 to 5 thus maximizing the investment and their revenue potential...Many of these garages are already fixtures in the skyline so even adding 5 to 10 stories on top of them will add to the cityscape.. for all us highrise wonks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or