U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 10:11 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaPro View Post
I am still interested to see how it is logistically possible to build a complex so large on top of a parking garage. I am no engineer or architect, but it sounds like a difficult task that won't be appealing to the eye.
Here's an article about it. (It's a PDF)

http://www.structuremag.org/wp-conte...al-Feb-091.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,411,927 times
Default Its all Obama's Fault

Feds want to turn Columbia VA building into parking lot | The State The State

Old 06-10-2015, 10:16 AM

667 posts, read 606,422 times
I hope Benjamin fights this all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,518,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Here's an article about it. (It's a PDF)

http://www.structuremag.org/wp-conte...al-Feb-091.pdf
Thats what the new NBSC tower is its a parking garage for the first 5 floors or something

Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,509,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Thats what the new NBSC tower is its a parking garage for the first 5 floors or something
Meridian building, too.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:27 AM

29,940 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Charleston's job market for college grads is not better than Columbia's. At best, it is on par. Charleston's draw is its quality of life, which truly is among the best in the country.
Well I wouldn't go that far especially since QOL is quite subjective, but it does better than most in several areas and its geography certainly doesn't hurt. That 'cool factor' is the major advantage it has over Columbia and even some larger cities in the region. The good thing about Columbia is the untapped potential it has here when it comes to downtown development and its location along three rivers.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:40 AM

667 posts, read 606,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well I wouldn't go that far especially since QOL is quite subjective, but it does better than most in several areas and its geography certainly doesn't hurt. That 'cool factor' is the major advantage it has over Columbia and even some larger cities in the region. The good thing about Columbia is the untapped potential it has here when it comes to downtown development and its location along three rivers.
I know this is all subjective, but I actually think columbia trumps charleston in the "cool" factor, while charleston trumps columbia in the "charm" (think southern belles) factor, though certain areas of columbia can hold its own in charm. But Charleston trumps bascially every city in the "charm" factor.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,509,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I guess I should have qualified that I was speaking for myself. A beautiful, historic downtown, proximity to beaches and waterways, and a vibrant food and beverage industry in a city of Charleston's size is a powerful combination, in my opinion. The downsides to Charleston are high cost of living that is not offset by accompanying incomes, a lack of a real corporate presence, and schools that don't have a great reputation (I would argue that the schools are probably better than their reputation, but I hear this comment about Charleston all the time).

Columbia has a lot to offer, and its quality of life is much better than its reputation would suggest. We have proximity to a beautiful lake and national park, whitewater rivers through downtown, a major research university, some good school districts, and a solid job market. Downsides for Columbia are a food and beverage industry that could be much better, some poor urban planning, a retail sector that gets overlooked for too long, and the fact that people love to hate on Columbia.

We're starting to see some improvement in Columbia's downsides. Our retail sector is starting to catch up to where it should be. Downtown development is filling in some gaps that have been eyesores for too long. In a few years, a bona fide urban living experience will be attainable in the CBD at an affordable cost. Although we have great restaurants in town, we still have some work to do in this regard, but more people living and visiting downtown should help. Once these things take hold, Columbia's image should improve.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:52 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
But I assume it was constructed that way. Lots of buildings were. Marina Towers in Chicago come to mind.

That article is about constructing a new tower atop an existing garage. Different beast.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 PM

6,645 posts, read 14,172,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
But I assume it was constructed that way. Lots of buildings were. Marina Towers in Chicago come to mind.

That article is about constructing a new tower atop an existing garage. Different beast.
Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or