U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM

6,652 posts, read 14,188,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Talk about an image boost for downtown Columbia. The governor has called for removing the Confederate battle flag from the capitol grounds. The lives lost in Charleston are the most important aspect of the story, but there's no doubt the flag has been an albatross around Columbia's neck.
Yes, it's high time it was removed. So many have tried and the City of Columbia even sued the state to remove it a number of years ago, to no avail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 AM

46 posts, read 46,964 times
I remember 20 years ago seeing bumber stickers "Dump the flag, keep Beasley" and "Keep the flag, dump Beasley" when he was governor and it was a hot topic.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,512,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiknick View Post
I remember 20 years ago seeing bumber stickers "Dump the flag, keep Beasley" and "Keep the flag, dump Beasley" when he was governor and it was a hot topic.
The change in this conversation over the past fifteen years has been rapid. It goes to show how much South Carolina has changed, both because of in-migration and changed attitudes of lifelong residents.

Governor Haley's speech was excellent. She is spot-on about how many people genuinely see the flag as part of our heritage and see no racial animus in it, but that does not outweigh the overwhelming views to the contrary. I rarely agree with our Governor, but she deserves a lot of credit and gets high praise from me on this issue.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:45 AM

6,192 posts, read 9,429,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiknick View Post

Got one better... "OFF THE DOME AND IN YOUR FACE"... cant forget that wonderful slogan in support of heritage....

Old 06-23-2015, 04:01 PM

6,652 posts, read 14,188,300 times
I've lived in Columbia for almost 43 years and moving that flag where I don't have to see it will be the best "renaissance of the central business district" since I've lived here, even though the city has nothing to do with its presence.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 AM

116 posts, read 145,001 times
This is a case of two sides failing to put themselves in each other's shoes... People supporting the flag staying are failing to see or have compassion for the emotional triggers it sends to some of our fellow citizens while peopl for it coming down fail to see that there is a much larger group of folks than people would care to believe that embrace things the flag stands for other than what very few small groups hijacked the symbol for their cause... That said, I see no harm in taking it down from the grounds of the state house because there are many things that we as a state have many other parts of our history that doesn't have a flag on the grounds and it doesn't change history or reverence for folks truly care about the states history. All the things you want to reflect on heritage will still be there. My two cents

Old 06-24-2015, 12:07 PM

6,192 posts, read 9,429,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
This is a case of two sides failing to put themselves in each other's shoes... People supporting the flag staying are failing to see or have compassion for the emotional triggers it sends to some of our fellow citizens while peopl for it coming down fail to see that there is a much larger group of folks than people would care to believe that embrace things the flag stands for other than what very few small groups hijacked the symbol for their cause... That said, I see no harm in taking it down from the grounds of the state house because there are many things that we as a state have many other parts of our history that doesn't have a flag on the grounds and it doesn't change history or reverence for folks truly care about the states history. All the things you want to reflect on heritage will still be there. My two cents

I can see your point.. the challenge is the misuse of the Confederate Battle Flag has far eclipsed its original purpose and intent. The fact that it was a "battle flag" and not necessarily the flag of the Confederacy further jades is importance and amplifies its misuse.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM

9,640 posts, read 13,811,757 times
It's like the mayor of Houston said on NPR today at 1 p.m. when asked her opinion about the Confederate flag and other Confederate monuments. She said we can't go trying to erase our history by removing all monuments, but that, if like the Confederate flag a Confederate monument in Houston became a rallying point for racists, she would "melt it down" in a minute.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:01 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
I look forward to being able to take that money shot from the steps of the Statehouse without that flag marring the picture.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:14 AM

581 posts, read 740,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or