U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 07:05 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,509,720 times

Advertisements

This is an awesome project that is very much needed in Columbia. Not only is it good to get more vertical in downtown, not only does this fill one of the many parking lot gaps along Assembly and start a connection between Main, The Vista, and what is moving up from the Moe Levy's corner, but furthermore this adds non- student housing to downtown which is desperately needed and will help even out a downtown that is growing more "student-centric." This should most certainly pass without a doubt and I think this could be yet another start of a Vista- Main Street connectivity piece.

IMO this is huge news for Columbia and very well could be a game changer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 AM

9,611 posts, read 13,735,041 times
I took another good look at the City's agenda item concerning the proposed building in relation to its surroundings, and the renderings are drastically ugly. The side of the building that would essentially block the view of the Hub, the Wells Fargo building and the 1400 Main building from the west and their relationship to each other is alarming and would completely mar the skyline. This proposed monstrosity should be allowed only with alterations that would make it look like an entirely different building, including getting rid of the stark white and putting in a little more color in place of the beige, and for goodness sake lining up the windows in a traditional fashion.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:37 AM

975 posts, read 998,164 times
@charlestondata if all the world recognizes beauty as beauty, this in itself is ugliness.

The fact that you find it that ugly is actually a good thing.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 AM

If it passes as is I'll be glad I don't see it in my everyday comings and goings.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:45 AM

6,629 posts, read 14,130,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I took another good look at the City's agenda item concerning the proposed building in relation to its surroundings, and the renderings are drastically ugly. The side of the building that would essentially block the view of the Hub, the Wells Fargo building and the 1400 Main building from the west and their relationship to each other is alarming and would completely mar the skyline. This proposed monstrosity should be allowed only with alterations that would make it look like an entirely different building, including getting rid of the stark white and putting in a little more color in place of the beige, and for goodness sake lining up the windows in a traditional fashion.
The random windows are my favorite thing about it; I do agree that it needs more color, though.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:56 AM

29,685 posts, read 27,123,188 times
^Ditto.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,543,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Critical info here: "Staff recommended that the applicant postpone their request based on the number of significant concerns that need to be addressed. Their appearance at this informational presentation is to get additional feedback from the DDRC Commissioners in advance of revising the design to get move closer to what will be expected and supported moving forward."

As Columbia grows up, there will be taller buildings popping up in all sorts of different places; attempting to preserve the view of other buildings is just not a valid criticism here IMO. That should have absolutely no bearing on whether it gets approved or not.
Should the areas of taller buildings be planned?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:06 AM

The write-up does say the developer was advised to change the random windows because another proposed building that had them was not well-received. The windows on this one are worse. Looking at them would give me a headache, and I feel that such tactics are indicative of a profession that has run out of ideas for making buildings appear unique. The write-up mentions in as many words that the proposed windows seem to be a ploy to make up for blandness on that side. I agree.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:15 PM

29,685 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Should the areas of taller buildings be planned?
No, just keep the height restrictions in the core of the Vista and USC does what they do on their campus; everywhere else should be fair game IMO.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Another thing is that tearing down that building at Assembly and Washington is a terrible idea. When are they ever going to stop doing that? That building and the Kelly's building define some of the last vestiges of the African-American commercial district of the reconstruction and civil rights eras. It needs to be sandblasted back to unpainted brick and preserved, and it, along with the building on the southwest corner of Assembly and Washington, needs to help set the tone for Washington Street leading into the Vista. It's hard for me to think of those corners as not defining the edge of an important part of the Vista when the Vista Greenway runs underneath Washington Street just two blocks away. It's easy to get all excited about a proposed building that has some size and height to it, but tearing out buildings that should be complemented and not destroyed is not a "best practices" approach to city-building. There is plenty of room for "the sky is the limit" buildings without encroaching on an area that is supposed to be a low-slung warehouse and turn-of-the-19th-century architectural district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or