U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 02:27 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,257,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Another thing is that tearing down that building at Assembly and Washington is a terrible idea. When are they ever going to stop doing that? That building and the Kelly's building define some of the last vestiges of the African-American commercial district of the reconstruction and civil rights eras. It needs to be sandblasted back to unpainted brick and preserved, and it, along with the building on the southwest corner of Assembly and Washington, needs to help set the tone for Washington Street leading into the Vista. It's hard for me to think of those corners as not defining the edge of an important part of the Vista when the Vista Greenway runs underneath Washington Street just two blocks away. It's easy to get all excited about a proposed building that has some size and height to it, but tearing out buildings that should be complemented and not destroyed is not a "best practices" approach to city-building. There is plenty of room for "the sky is the limit" buildings without encroaching on an area that is supposed to be a low-slung warehouse and turn-of-the-19th-century architectural district.
I just so happen to be an African-American and this building can and should be torn down. There's not much of "the sky is the limit" left in Columbia. Everybody here wants to preserve everything and not change anything. That's not what a growing city does. What do you mean, "when are they ever gonna stop doing that?" It's rare to see an old building come down in Columbia. This isn't the Vista..this is the CBD. If they can build around that's fine with me too but I'm ok with it being torn down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 02:48 PM

9,613 posts, read 13,739,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I just so happen to be an African-American and this building can and should be torn down. There's not much of "the sky is the limit" left in Columbia. Everybody here wants to preserve everything and not change anything. That's not what a growing city does. What do you mean, "when are they ever gonna stop doing that?" It's rare to see an old building come down in Columbia. This isn't the Vista..this is the CBD. If they can build around that's fine with me too but I'm ok with it being torn down.
Assembly Street is the CBD's western boundary. The building that is going up or going to go up at Assembly and Pendleton dropped from 15 floors to six with good reason.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,501,940 times
Regardless of whether you consider this location the CBD or Vista, we can't let one derelict old building stand in the way of progress. If this were a contiguous block of old buildings, I would feel differently, but as it is, the building is an eyesore and doesn't have a clear path to a new life. The Edge building would bring a lot of life to an area that is the next frontier in Columbia's downtown renaissance. We may have different opinions on the building's appearance, but we should all be able to agree that replacing the current building and parking lot with a high-rise residential tower would be a radical improvement.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,257,952 times
Quote:
Assembly Street is the CBD's western boundary. The building that is going up or going to go up at Assembly and Pendleton dropped from 15 floors to six with good reason.
And this is on the otherside of gervais right in front of our main high-rises. The only reason the assembly and Pendleton high-rise dropped is because they bought the extra .25 acres and lowered the height which equaled to just 100 less beds than what the 15 story tower would've been and made it more cost effective. That building isn't a beauty and neither is lot which it sits on. That building stands out compared to its surroundings. Charleston has what you want low-rise historic buildings. SC needs at least one city that has a plethora of tall buildings that aren't hotels (myrtle beach). And stated in the first two-three pages this lot is considers the CBD not the Vista.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:55 PM

I look forward to Charleston's taller buildings on the upper peninsula. I want tall buildings for Columbia. I just don't believe in selling out and ruining the whole look of a city for height in a spot that should stay low. I was telling my husband about the proposed building and the first thing he said was that he couldn't believe they were going to let them tear down that building. Infill on that block should be attained with like-sized buildings to go with the building that is threatened, Kelly's, the row of old houses along Park, the Big Apple building, the two-story building near the bank drive-through, and the BAR building at Hampton and Park. High-rises of the CBD and beyond, however tall, can really 'pop' with a densely woven lower urban foreground. The building being threatened is not an eyesore. It just needs some tlc by someone with some vision.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,501,940 times
Quote:
The building being threatened is not an eyesore. It just needs some tlc by someone with some vision.
Unfortunately, that building is an island to itself at the moment, and for the foreseeable future without development in the area. Right now, that area attracts library patrons and homeless people and few others. The Edge building would be a shot in the arm for the area.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:52 AM

I had heard rumors about this before leaving Columbia. Big news!

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 10-19-2015, 03:40 PM

29,719 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
I had heard rumors about this before leaving Columbia. Big news!

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Wow, this one local company has made a big impact on Main Street. Good stuff! The Army Navy Store building could definitely use some TLC on its facade.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-19-2015 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 03:56 PM

Lauryn Hill's playing New Year's Eve.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:20 PM

6,635 posts, read 14,134,330 times
Quote:
Lauryn Hill's playing New Year's Eve.
Is that a musician?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or