U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,502,347 times

Advertisements

The number of people who whine and complain about ANY change, no matter how large or small or how beneficial it would be, amazes me. It is frustrating to live in a growing city where a vocal minority wants absolutely no growth or change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 AM

3,680 posts, read 1,402,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
The number of people who whine and complain about ANY change, no matter how large or small or how beneficial it would be, amazes me. It is frustrating to live in a growing city where a vocal minority wants absolutely no growth or change.
Im with you on this one. Good news is that Forest Acres got approved Get Kline approved and bull street rolling, then we are in business. I think it would be a huge step to see these getting built.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 AM

6,152 posts, read 9,364,831 times
[quote=SCxpBrussel;42528256]The number of people who whine and complain about ANY change, no matter how large or small or how beneficial it would be, amazes me. It is frustrating to live in a growing

You are right.. I think it can hold a community back if the majority feel that way...but developers and politicos need to sharpen their PR skills and engage the community early and often in order to win supporters.. I think that may have been what caused the curfuffle in West Columbia that prompted the delay....

Unfortunately you will always have that.. I think its probably has a lot to do with age.. Well Established and Stable neighborhoods with older residents tend to want to maintain the status quo and not "change" for fear of what that change may result in. Generally the neighborhoods that are open to change either or younger or there is areal or perceived benefit.. property values increasing (which can be positive and negative-i.e. taxes) or access to services, retail, etc.

I think for Columbia many residents may not see the benefit especially if they fit the demographic that I described. Many folks that I have talked to that I would say fit this demographic don't necessarily go to the Vista and certainly don't go to Five Points and all they see is tax dollars signs (wasted) and property tax bill, water bill, etc rising. Couple that with political scandals over tax dollar spending and that fact that if you live in the City you could get hit with increases of TWO municipal tax bills (County and City) both of which have their own vision of what your money should be used for. I recall one acquaintance protesting the use of their tax dollars to build parks in Lower Richland because they would never use them because they lived in Rosewood.. in THE CITY. Thus people get defensive when it comes use of tax dollars and development especially if someone is getting a tax break or "incentive" that is bigger than their homestead exemption whose benefit is usually off set by some increase in another fee/levy

Old 01-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpretori View Post
Im with you on this one. Good news is that Forest Acres got approved Get Kline approved and bull street rolling, then we are in business. I think it would be a huge step to see these getting built.
It got approved by the development review board, which is non-binding. Next it goes to city council, who has the final say. It is hard to imagine Forest Acres denying this, but you never know. I suspect cooler heads will prevail. I do understand the concerns over traffic because Forest Drive can be a nightmare at times. I roll my eyes at most people's complaints about traffic around here because I've lived in big cities before, but Forst Drive does get bad. This project won't really change much, but I can understand the concern.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:01 AM

@Woodlands, you are right. Age has a lot to do with it. I will never understand this mentality. It baffles me that some people don't understand a rising tide lifts all boats.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:52 AM

9,615 posts, read 13,743,863 times
One man's concern seemed to be what it will look like from the existing neighborhood. Considering what that prison-looking thing called Bridgepointe looks like from the back, I don't blame him.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
One man's concern seemed to be what it will look like from the existing neighborhood. Considering what that prison-looking thing called Bridgepointe looks like from the back, I don't blame him.
I agree it is reasonable to want to see renderings first.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:30 AM

3,680 posts, read 1,402,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post

...That looks ugly for sure. Is it unfinished? Looks unfinished.

If it does get approved, the numbers look really good! Hope they come to a compromise.

$42 million in estimated economic impact
158 construction jobs
$8.5 million in Brookland resident spending power
6 jobs on site

Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 AM

If I were doing a development.. ANY development especially in or near a residential neighborhood.. The FIRST thing I would do is look at any community adopted/approved plan to see what the neighborhood envisions for itself and then work to make sure what I am thinking about clearly aligns with that. SECOND, I would meet informally with the community and simply listen to what their needs and concerns are while informing them that you are in the early stages of coming up with a concept for XYZ site in their neighborhood and you want to get their needs in and interests up front. There is a risk in doing this.. which is where I think most developers get scared. The community could organize and fight tooth and nail to stop you because you have now tipped them off that SOMETHING may happen on XYZ property.. .OR they will make such overbearing demands that you can possibly incorporate without rending the project financially infeasible or even change totally what you have in mind.. since most residents are not developers and thus don't have a solid understanding when it comes to money from development standpoint especially if they are not the ones financially on the hook..

This more of a art than a science in getting your PR and marketing strategy to the community up front specially if you NEED their approval/support to move forward.. Most times.. developers sit down either with City Staff and Politicos.. cook up the project THEN go out and try to SELL it to the community. Most savy neighborhood association smell that a mile away and will often fight it out of spite.. Best to try to work with them first....

Old 01-06-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
It got approved by the development review board, which is non-binding. Next it goes to city council, who has the final say. It is hard to imagine Forest Acres denying this, but you never know. I suspect cooler heads will prevail. I do understand the concerns over traffic because Forest Drive can be a nightmare at times. I roll my eyes at most people's complaints about traffic around here because I've lived in big cities before, but Forst Drive does get bad. This project won't really change much, but I can understand the concern.

Sorry Duplicate in another thread....

Whats interesting about this is.. residents are concerned about Traffic.. Granted Forest Drive is a major thoroughfare into downtown Columbia from the east AND connects with the NE via Trenholm Rd, Percival Road and ... gasp I-77 all of which will forever impact this stretch regardless of any individual development that happens along it.. Most of the traffic is going to/from Columbia with some going to noted places like Trenholm Plaza, the office parks, and local shopping like Trader Joes..In fact, Trenholm Road extension pushed the road further into the NE and beyond Decker over I-77 and thus ENCOURAGES more folks to use Forest Drive as a transportation option to get downtown.

I know I will be accused of being a communist.. but this is where transit makes a difference...It may be 20 years from now.. but the Region is going to have to look at alternatives to getting to/from places since roads cant be widened and development will always continue.. what is old will be torn down and rebuilt so to think that Forest Drive will stay static in time while property is privately held and commercially zoned while surrounded by good income demographics is a pipe dream..

Wait until the market conditions improve to the point that Richland Mall becomes ripe for redevelopment.. that is going to make this project look like a walk in the park...Transit folks is the answer to reducing congestion or you must resign yourself to being a 24hr community so folks can live and work at various hours and thus spread the work day and lifestyle across a 24hr period thus breaking up congestion....

Just to clarify that the transit option should be marketed to those folks using Forest Drive as a route to and from Columbia especially from the Northeast..... most people that actually live in Forest Acres would likely not use it for local errands up and down Forest Drive....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or