U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 09:03 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,266,837 times

Advertisements

Office squeeze: Best office space in Columbia hard to find, high-priced | The State

Office market seems to be strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:48 AM

3,679 posts, read 1,412,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
A few comments.

Lockwood doesn't acknowledge the environmental and financial pros of having a tower compared to a huge spread out office building. Major cities are building towers without anchors, so i dont know why he is saying they need one.

Student housing isn't going to appeal to young professionals. Only students can live in them so I don't understand how that is beneficial for a young professional. Major companies are not going to relocate to a place because of a "student housing boom". I think instead of magnifying that, they should magnify the potential for jobs after a student graduates so the area can retain graduates after they graduate.

This article doesn't mention the decrease price of office space as a whole.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:52 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,199 times
The article focused on Class A office space downtown. Class B and C rates have been going down as the demand for that type of space is weak.

I don't know why this must be repeated again, but the student housing boom is the first part of a larger process of building a more dense, vibrant downtown. There are other, non-student-oriented projects downtown that will appeal to young professionals. We can expect more of this going forward.

I still don't understand why you spend so much time doing research to support contrarian opinions on a city you don't even live in permanently.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
The article focused on Class A office space downtown. Class B and C rates have been going down as the demand for that type of space is weak.

I don't know why this must be repeated again, but the student housing boom is the first part of a larger process of building a more dense, vibrant downtown. There are other, non-student-oriented projects downtown that will appeal to young professionals. We can expect more of this going forward.

I still don't understand why you spend so much time doing research to support contrarian opinions on a city you don't even live in permanently.
Just because I don't have a house here doesn't mean I can't have a opinion. Hopefully they focus on transportation and incentives towards companies this year.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpretori View Post
Just because I don't have a house here doesn't mean I can't have a opinion. Hopefully they focus on transportation and incentives towards companies this year.
You are welcome to have opinions, just strikes me as an odd use of time.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
You are welcome to have opinions, just strikes me as an odd use of time.
Haha I'm looking for a hobby, so this is it. nice to see what's going on when I'm bored.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:21 PM

9,632 posts, read 13,782,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpretori View Post
A few comments.

Lockwood doesn't acknowledge the environmental and financial pros of having a tower compared to a huge spread out office building. Major cities are building towers without anchors, so i dont know why he is saying they need one.

Student housing isn't going to appeal to young professionals. Only students can live in them so I don't understand how that is beneficial for a young professional. Major companies are not going to relocate to a place because of a "student housing boom". I think instead of magnifying that, they should magnify the potential for jobs after a student graduates so the area can retain graduates after they graduate.

This article doesn't mention the decrease price of office space as a whole.
Area leaders are working to have more jobs. To what degree they are having success I don't know. No big boomtown article has hit the news about a lot of jobs coming or being created in Columbia, so it's hard to say right now.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:14 AM

6,177 posts, read 9,402,886 times
Interesting.. that this article doesnt mention the tower proposed for Laurel and Main where the City is going to be an major anchor tenant. That buildings was supposed to be 15 to 20 stories though I haven't heard much about it since it was mentioned by the Mayor .....I can agree that it may be tough to get a highrise.. but a DC style City Center with low rise tightly packed is good also. A planner once told me that the reason why DC has so much street level activity is because the buildings extend horizontal instead of vertical thus filling in gaps along the street and encouraging people to walk more. A highrise narrows the pedestrian field especially if it is surrounded by parking lots and other items that interrupt the pedestrian flow.....

I am surprised that they are just NOW extending the CBD to Harden, Huger, Elmwood and Blossom.. Seems like it had expanded beyond the historic boundaries some time ago..What I am really looking forward to is what happens when G. Gardens comes down.. That site represents tremendous opportunity for the expansion of Providence Hospital along with additional residential and service retail to serve residents who want to be close, but not in the CBD. If planned correctly it could be nice link to Forest Hills and Melrose Park along Gervais and Millwood Ave.. not to mention help boost interest in Historic Waverly.

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-19-2016 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 09:44 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting.. that this article doesnt mention the tower proposed for Laurel and Main where the City is going to be an major anchor tenant. That buildings was supposed to be 15 to 20 stories though I haven't heard much about it since it was mentioned by the Mayor .....I can agree that it may be tough to get a highrise.. but a DC style City Center with low rise tightly packed is good also. A planner once told me that the reason why DC has so much street level activity is because the buildings extend horizontal instead of vertical thus filling in gaps along the street and encouraging people to walk more. A highrise narrows the pedestrian field especially if it is surrounded by parking lots and other items that interrupt the pedestrian flow.....
You can have both; NYC, Philly, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc. all have tons of street-level activity with highrises.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 AM

6,177 posts, read 9,402,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You can have both; NYC, Philly, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc. all have tons of street-level activity with highrises.

Your are right.. the one thing those places have in common are that they are all old cities with historic cores that they have preserved, with a blend of old and new along with solid transportation systems and urbanized residential cores surrounding their CBDs thus walking/transit and shopping are all close together. This as opposed to places like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Charlotte who traditionally have been more auto oriented.. but are making strides to "infill" their CBD to make them more compact urban cores. I would put Columbia in the later category given the structure of our CBD especially once you cross Bull Street heading east.. It becomes way more residential with historic single family detached homes that have been converted into offices/retail and not the traditional urban core like you find on Main Street or in the Vista. Quite frankly.. the only areas east of Bull St that may develop in this urban format may only be Columbia Commons, parts of Taylor, along Gervais Street, the "USC Property" on Hampton St ,and maybe a piece of Laurel/Harden Street along the railroad corridor.. The rest of the area is a historic district(or complement the district) and/or would require demolition of residential and/or structures that some may want to preserve.

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-19-2016 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or