U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 02:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,511,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Breakfast restaurant will be coming to the old moe Levy site.
That's not what I would have expected or chosen for that site, but it seems like a nice addition to downtown. Le Peep on Gervais is always crowded and is closed on Sundays, so this will be a new place to take friends for brunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 04:34 PM

36 posts, read 32,636 times
What do y'all make of the renderings for the proposed revamping of Finlay Park? Also, do you think that the $20 million would be better spent on repairs to the Columbia Canal?

Columbia, SC Breaking News, Sports, Weather & More | TheState.com & The State

Old 01-25-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola Knows Best View Post
What do y'all make of the renderings for the proposed revamping of Finlay Park? Also, do you think that the $20 million would be better spent on repairs to the Columbia Canal?

I love the renderings. The price tag is steep, especially considering all the other irons Columbia has in the fire. I'm still hopeful the Feds will foot the entire bill for the canal repair.

If the Feds don't foot the bill, I'm not sure what the priority should be. If the water is safe and potable now, what benefit does the canal provide? I need to be more educated on the issue before I could come to a conclusion.

My heart says upgrade Finlay, but my head is saying fix the canal.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:30 PM

49 posts, read 84,476 times
Say goodbye to Jillian's in the Vista

Jillian

Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 PM

9,636 posts, read 13,804,362 times
Quote:

I would be highly ticked if I were the owner-residents of those houses at Governor's Hill who would no longer see not the city's skyline but rather the proposed building, which IMO isn't very aesthetically pleasing in and of itself judging by the rendering.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 PM

228 posts, read 260,173 times
I would much prefer the city work on maintaining Finlay Park and working on planning for the signature riverfront park. This could be more of a game changer than Finlay. It has a terrible reputation and I don't see that changing dramatically with an upgraded water feature and adding an observation area. It would be more of a stretch, but I feel like it would be money better spent in the long run.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:01 PM

232 posts, read 294,825 times
I agree with woffgrad13. Spend the money on the proposed waterfront park along Three Rivers Greenway between Blossom and Gervais St. bridges. I can see spending money for some repairs at Finley, but until the US Post Office comes out from the Assembly Street side (probably never) it will never really look that good.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:16 PM

That's an interesting perspective you both have. Food for thought

Old 01-25-2016, 07:27 PM

3,679 posts, read 1,417,740 times
Quote:

Looks really good! This is probably better than spending it on a building IMO. Gives businesses incentives to move here. Work, lunch by the park, grab a coffee. Would definitely transform the downtown area.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 PM

6,649 posts, read 14,182,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I would be highly ticked if I were the owner-residents of those houses at Governor's Hill who would no longer see not the city's skyline but rather the proposed building, which IMO isn't very aesthetically pleasing in and of itself judging by the rendering.
The park was there before the houses; a permanent view isn't guaranteed for anyone. I'm not even sure it would block a view as the houses are at a higher elevation than the top of the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or