Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM

376 posts, read 728,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
More corporations? Class A space is already 95% filled(by corporations) Corporations have never been the problem. Attracting residents,retail, and restaurants used to be an issue but that seems to be changing.
I'm not talking about existing space, I mean more corporations, new tall buildings etc. that way there would be more demand and then more restaurants.

I'm not sure what you mean by Class A space, is that a zoning thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
I am skeptical the Main Street is ever going to be much different from where it is today. It would take more corporations down there I think.

The Vista is really going to be the only downtown area that continues to grow. I think many people view Gervais street thru there as "Main Street" in Columbia.
It's not an either or situation. Everywhere is going to boom. One Columbia! But my goodness: corporations have announced for Main Street and the immediate area left and right recently.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This should be interesting.. I dont know if the State is paraphrasing this proposal correctly but the notion of stopping someone who LOOKS homeless and asking them if they need help.. then enforcing the loitering and nuisance ordinance is novel in theory for some.. but in practice its sounds alot like profiling..Some organization is likely to take up the charge and challenge the City on this on behalf of homeless individuals..If I were the City.. I wouldnt assign any old beat cop whose used to barking orders and cracking heads to this detail.. they need to make sure that they are well trained and versed in the City's loitering ordinance and the availability of services downtown and most importantly have some tact, discretion, and people skills becaus if they are only used to cracking skulls.. The second that happens for someone charged with "resisting" the ACLU will be all over it.... Stay tuned...
When I walk downtown with my worn out jeans and camera bag they might stop me.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about existing space, I mean more corporations, new tall buildings etc. that way there would be more demand and then more restaurants.

I'm not sure what you mean by Class A space, is that a zoning thing?
New office space gets built when there is demand. The central business district's available class A space is very tight. Class A is the nicest, then B, then C. Most C space gets renovated before it gets occupied again.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Attracting more residents is more important in that regard, and with the development of The Hub, they are surely coming.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Attracting more residents is more important in that regard, and with the development of The Hub, they are surely coming.
Moving students into the hub will certainly have an effect on downtown but will it be a positive sustainable one? I have always thought of USC students as part time residents with a high degree of transience. People like that usually don't contribute an awful lot to a community. To a few businesses sure, but not to the community as a whole.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Moving students into the hub will certainly have an effect on downtown but will it be a positive sustainable one? I have always thought of USC students as part time residents with a high degree of transience. People like that usually don't contribute an awful lot to a community. To a few businesses sure, but not to the community as a whole.
There is a strong movement to keep as many USC and other college graduates in Columbia as possible after they graduate by making sure they're aware of the copious reasons to stay and have their careers here. I would think a higher percentage of students who experience life in Columbia's urban core for a couple of years would graduate with an even higher awareness of where they can make a difference while continuing to enjoy an increasingly dynamic downtown.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 AM

542 posts, read 1,107,583 times
One of the problems Columbia has is keeping young people from moving to bigger cities, maybe they will like living on Main Street, and in downtown Columbia in general. Could be the start of a new trend.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 AM

376 posts, read 728,074 times
I think college graduates are pretty much going to have to move to other cities if they want jobs, especially good ones, with this economy. In my field most of the work is in the DC metro and out in Texas.

The graduates of SC that I knew from my high school did not seem to like Columbia that much, they liked USC but not Columbia as a place to live. They were there before all the new development in the Vista and elsewhere though, plus they were from a smaller town so maybe just a preference for small cities thing.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 AM

611 posts, read 921,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
One of the problems Columbia has is keeping young people from moving to bigger cities, maybe they will like living on Main Street, and in downtown Columbia in general. Could be the start of a new trend.

Agree with this. Getting a concentrated population of young, college educated folks in the commercial heart of the city is a win-win. More residents brings more dining and shopping options, and more dining and shopping brings more residents. Even if only a small percentage of these students "stay in place" after graduation, it will pay dividends for years as that part of town becomes "the place to be".

There will always be a place for the 'burbs, but young professionals are enamored with urban living like Downtown Greenville, Uptown Charlotte, and various other metros. If we can just keep a few more of them here, even for just a few years after graduation, Columbia will be better because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area