U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-26-2016, 01:09 PM
 
29,696 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Reputation: 18232

Advertisements

Good article here about Columbia's resurgent hotel industry: More downtown Columbia hotels on the way as occupancy and room rates soar | The State

So here's a question: where could a new full-service hotel to serve the convention center be built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2016, 04:24 PM
 
64 posts, read 44,323 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good article here about Columbia's resurgent hotel industry: More downtown Columbia hotels on the way as occupancy and room rates soar | The State

So here's a question: where could a new full-service hotel to serve the convention center be built?
It'd be cool to see one built into/on top of the convention center expansion itself if they could get enough height - considering what's allowed in the Vista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM
 
159 posts, read 86,546 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good article here about Columbia's resurgent hotel industry: More downtown Columbia hotels on the way as occupancy and room rates soar | The State

So here's a question: where could a new full-service hotel to serve the convention center be built?
Are there any examples where a convention center sells air rights to a hotel developer? Maybe the hotel could be built on top of a portion of the expanded convention center closer to the CLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2016, 03:16 PM
 
159 posts, read 86,546 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayinJG View Post
It'd be cool to see one built into/on top of the convention center expansion itself if they could get enough height - considering what's allowed in the Vista.
Just saw your post......I am being a little repetitive in echoing your statement. It is a good idea and could be used to help fund the expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,632 posts, read 14,132,531 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1995 View Post
Are there any examples where a convention center sells air rights to a hotel developer? Maybe the hotel could be built on top of a portion of the expanded convention center closer to the CLA.
I think that would be phenomenal, but the Hilton was sold as the Convention Center Hotel. Maybe the Hilton could expand through air rights over the Convention Center Parking Garage. I think that would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2016, 11:09 AM
 
416 posts, read 245,100 times
Reputation: 89
I wonder if Columbia is at that point. The question is: does the city need a convention center expansion to draw another full service hotel? It would take time for Columbia to build itself into a destination for larger conventions. If a hotel brand feels that there is sufficient demand to fill a larger hotel without conventions, Columbia would be a much easier sell. Since most of the major brands are represented, I think the next logical options are Westin and Hyatt. Both typically build in larger cities, so the occupancy question is pretty important. The nice thing is Downtown and the Vista have matured greatly since the city tried to build its own convention center hotel before Hilton came to town. There seems to be a stronger case for new rooms, as evidenced by the article in The State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2016, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
8,848 posts, read 7,645,010 times
Reputation: 11957
I believe the general consensus is the Columbia Convention Center needs to be expanded to draw larger events. Build it and they will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2016, 04:42 PM
 
416 posts, read 245,100 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I believe the general consensus is the Columbia Convention Center needs to be expanded to draw larger events. Build it and they will come.
Right, but I wonder if there is enough business to sustain a full service hotel while the center begins to build its pipeline of conventions. Most organizations plan annual conferences and meeting years out. While I do not doubt that the convention center will eventually be successful, it will take time to draw larger groups. In the meantime, the hotel would need to find a way to stay profitable. Football weekends would be a huge boon, but the key is attracting business travelers. The uptick in the economy has probably helped on this front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2016, 07:30 PM
 
29,696 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Reputation: 18232
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Right, but I wonder if there is enough business to sustain a full service hotel while the center begins to build its pipeline of conventions. Most organizations plan annual conferences and meeting years out. While I do not doubt that the convention center will eventually be successful, it will take time to draw larger groups. In the meantime, the hotel would need to find a way to stay profitable. Football weekends would be a huge boon, but the key is attracting business travelers. The uptick in the economy has probably helped on this front.
An expansion of the convention center would likely need to happen before a new full service hotel is built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2016, 02:40 PM
 
1,371 posts, read 1,257,500 times
Reputation: 246
Albert's Deli opens second location in downtown Columbia at Bank of America Plaza on Main Street | The State

Alberts deli is opening up a new restaurant in bofa plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top