Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 10:17 PM

744 posts, read 747,710 times

Advertisements

Also, Where are the guests going to park??? The Sumter street garage is full...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Also, Where are the guests going to park??? The Sumter street garage is full...
I'm sure they'll have spaces in the Meridian garage for valet parking like they do for the Sheraton. People could always park in the Washington Street city garage.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:54 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,745 times
Default Hotel Trundle opened up today

They also have no dilineated parking but it's a high quality problem, eventually the city will have to build a new downtown garage.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Hotel Trundle had a soft opening last week: https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...tourism/74180/

Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'm sure they'll have spaces in the Meridian garage for valet parking like they do for the Sheraton. People could always park in the Washington Street city garage.

Washington St Garage is probably one of the oldest and most underutilized public garages downtown. I believe the one on Assembly and Taylor is used more than it...

Old 04-10-2018, 08:05 AM

The owners of Drake's Duck-In are restoring the 1940's era facade of the building and are remodeling the second floor to house a business of some sort. Plans recently released by the city suggest it'll be a small bar or restaurant.

The Drake's Duck-In building with the original facade exposed: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...34e2.image.jpg

This is definitely good news and I hope a few other buildings--most notably the urgent care business next to Drake's, King's Jewelers, and Solid Gold--have their original facades restored.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 AM

744 posts, read 747,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The owners of Drake's Duck-In are restoring the 1940's era facade of the building and are remodeling the second floor to house a business of some sort. Plans recently released by the city suggest it'll be a small bar or restaurant.

The Drake's Duck-In building with the original facade exposed: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...34e2.image.jpg

This is definitely good news and I hope a few other buildings--most notably the urgent care business next to Drake's, King's Jewelers, and Solid Gold--have their original facades restored.
I agree! The changes and facade restorations on Main Street during the last 10 years, and the exponential growth in the last 3-5 is taking the district to a new level. I had some friends in town and we stayed on Main all day long. We went to the Soda City market, then had lunch Then went to a Movie at the Nick, then had coffee and ice cream, then ate dinner, then went bowling and had drinks at the Grand.

What is remarkable is that the growth on Main Street happened in tandem with growth in the Vista, West Columbia and 5 points (although the neighbors around 5 points did everything possible to minimize growth that growth)

I found this google street view from 2007 (it won't move and stay in 2007, but it gives a good idea about what the 1600 block of main street looked like in 2007.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0075...!7i3328!8i1664

Old 04-10-2018, 01:17 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I agree! The changes and facade restorations on Main Street during the last 10 years, and the exponential growth in the last 3-5 is taking the district to a new level. I had some friends in town and we stayed on Main all day long. We went to the Soda City market, then had lunch Then went to a Movie at the Nick, then had coffee and ice cream, then ate dinner, then went bowling and had drinks at the Grand.

What is remarkable is that the growth on Main Street happened in tandem with growth in the Vista, West Columbia and 5 points (although the neighbors around 5 points did everything possible to minimize growth that growth)

I found this google street view from 2007 (it won't move and stay in 2007, but it gives a good idea about what the 1600 block of main street looked like in 2007.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0075...!7i3328!8i1664

WOW.. a picture is worth a thousand words... Not only do the buildings look tired on Main Street in that photos but there are practically no people nor cars parked... you could have stopped someone walking down there then and describe what Main Street in like in 2018 as the future and they would laugh....Great Find...

Old 04-12-2018, 07:24 AM

A story from the Free Times about Hotel Trundle: https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...9bd36cfe9.html

Old 04-13-2018, 12:07 PM

1,152 posts, read 954,699 times
Anything on the Apartments ontop the garages project? Haven't heard anything since. I thought the contract was that they have to start construction 2 years after contract is signed. Well it's been like what 3+ years since and still nothing.

I feel like besides the free small developments in downtown that The big ones just stopped all together.

The tower because to the library, the proposed tower on the corner of Lady and Park, All the towers on top of the garages and the city plans to build a tower on the corner of Main and Laurel St. It's like everything stopped.

I just got back from Atlanta a few days ago and obviously the economy haven't slowed down because construction is everywhere there. Charlotte is just booming and little ole Columbia just stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area