U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 12:17 PM

755 posts, read 488,516 times

Advertisements

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...1279935f9.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 01:43 PM

232 posts, read 135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Is the underground part open now? Last time i was there in the fall, just the ground level was open.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:17 PM

755 posts, read 488,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Is the underground part open now? Last time i was there in the fall, just the ground level was open.
Nope it's still closed. I'm not sure if it's gonna open up any time soon. I hope so.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:53 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Here's a nice piece in COLA Today about the CMA renovation. It makes me want to check it out next time I'm in town.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:22 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,432,479 times
High occupancy rates are increasing the demand for more hotels: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...232506072.html

Old 07-14-2019, 07:18 AM

42 posts, read 10,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
High occupancy rates are increasing the demand for more hotels: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...232506072.html
I like the note in the article that 2 more larger 110room plus hotels were planning to build as well.

Now I doubt we will see a hotel as large as some of the ones in atl open here but itís nice to see increased growth in the city

Old 07-14-2019, 07:51 AM

985 posts, read 1,004,638 times
Well one of those 110 room hotels is the still gestating plan to draw a 5 pts hotel to that building on Devine

Old 07-14-2019, 12:05 PM

429 posts, read 251,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
I like the note in the article that 2 more larger 110room plus hotels were planning to build as well.

Now I doubt we will see a hotel as large as some of the ones in atl open here but itís nice to see increased growth in the city
I was wondering about that when I read the article. I didn't realize the convention center generated that much traffic to be honest.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:01 PM

42 posts, read 10,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I was wondering about that when I read the article. I didn't realize the convention center generated that much traffic to be honest.

We have vastly out grown its size. There are several days where every section of the con is full which just happened this past week for the week.

We need lexington to get on board with the Convention center. It takes all 3 of the parties to agree ( Columbia, Richland, Lexington ) Unfortunately Lexington doesn't care about it very much since its in Columbia, Richland. Just like how they are cutting most of their funding for the Zoo.

So hopefully they can all come together and either get Lex Co on board or get them to release their sake in it so we can move forward.

The center is trying to at minimum double its size. They are also in a chicken or egg situation where 2 or 3 hotels own property near the center, and are waiting on them to expand, but the center is wanting the hotels to use as leverage for the expansion.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:58 AM

429 posts, read 251,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
We have vastly out grown its size. There are several days where every section of the con is full which just happened this past week for the week.

We need lexington to get on board with the Convention center. It takes all 3 of the parties to agree ( Columbia, Richland, Lexington ) Unfortunately Lexington doesn't care about it very much since its in Columbia, Richland. Just like how they are cutting most of their funding for the Zoo.

So hopefully they can all come together and either get Lex Co on board or get them to release their sake in it so we can move forward.

The center is trying to at minimum double its size. They are also in a chicken or egg situation where 2 or 3 hotels own property near the center, and are waiting on them to expand, but the center is wanting the hotels to use as leverage for the expansion.
Fascinating! I always expected the convention center to expand into the parking lot, if not the land behind, but wasn't aware that it had reached that stage. I remember hearing that a full service hotel brand was locking down land behind the center/deep off of Gervais, but thought that just died out. It makes sense that they are land banking. Out of curiosity, do they have a ballpark for what they think an expansion would cost?

Theoretically the hotels would not want to break ground until the plans were solidified, so maybe the brands signing letters advocating for expansion would do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or