U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 PM

29,735 posts, read 27,153,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm not talking about putting any weight on the existing building. That wouldn't be necessary to incorporate it into the overall development.
OK, I see what you're saying. If you mean building on the rest of that block which is surface parking, then that could work.

Quote:
For BC&BS to combine all its offices into one, it would require enough square footage to justify a 40-story building. Some other entities could take up the rest of the space.
The size of the footprint would determine the height. Even so, I wouldn't want to see something significantly taller than Columbia's tallest as it would unbalance the skyline--although it probably wouldn't appear that way from the most popular skyline vantage points to the west since it would be a few blocks east of the bulk of the towers along Main.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,892,668 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about putting any weight on the existing building. That wouldn't be necessary to incorporate it into the overall development. For BC&BS to combine all its offices into one, it would require enough square footage to justify a 40-story building. Some other entities could take up the rest of the space.
I don't think 40 stories would look good in Cola. I would rather see a number of 18 -20 story buildings that have a larger impact on the street. The tallest SC building is in Cola for what it's worth, I just don't see why that matters when less than 10 miles from the SC state line is an 875' tower.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:13 PM

9,615 posts, read 13,741,523 times
Looking from West Columbia a 30-story building on that site would barely peek over the existing skyline. At about 40 floors it would be about the right height for the new tallest. The view from the east driving into downtown on Taylor or Gervais wouldn't be ruined at all, and a new precedent would be set for that north-south corridor. I have analyzed it from all distances and angles.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:42 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,892,668 times
Quote:
Looking from West Columbia a 30-story building on that site would barely peek over the existing skyline. At about 40 floors it would be about the right height for the new tallest. The view from the east driving into downtown on Taylor or Gervais wouldn't be ruined at all, and a new precedent would be set for that north-south corridor. I have analyzed it from all distances and angles.
It may work, I just want to see more impact on the street. Besides, building a 40 story building gets pricey Per sq foot. However, if one was announced, I would not be disappointed.

The spot I want to see developed th most is Gervais and Assembly. That corner is the front yard for the state and should have a signature project. Is someone holding this land or thinks it is worth much more thn reality? I can't believe Edens has not tried to do something cool downtown. If this spot is developed properly, a lot of other things will fall into place.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
It may work, I just want to see more impact on the street. Besides, building a 40 story building gets pricey Per sq foot. However, if one was announced, I would not be disappointed.

The spot I want to see developed th most is Gervais and Assembly. That corner is the front yard for the state and should have a signature project. Is someone holding this land or thinks it is worth much more thn reality? I can't believe Edens has not tried to do something cool downtown. If this spot is developed properly, a lot of other things will fall into place.
From what I know I'm afraid we're in for a long wait at Gervais and Assembly. The owner doesn't seem the least bit motivated to give up the revenue they make from parking. I could be wrong and maybe they're waiting on the right offer. Maybe the city could condemn it for the greater good of the public.

The entire block where the old AgFirst building sits is prime. I'd like to see both the AgFirst building and the three- or four-story red brick building that sits on Bull preserved and included in the design of a major high-rise there with retail all around the block and parking on the interior portion of the block. Development of the block with buildings on the same scale as those two existing ones would be fine, too.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,510,884 times
it seems like the development of highrises has begun to take a bit of a T shape with the top of the T being Gervais and the bottom part being Main St. I think filling the surrounding area in would be nice.

I also think that a mid- rise (10 floors) on the lot at the corner of Lady and Park that backs up to Mellow Mushroom would be a great way to continue Main St down to the Vista and have the development be mix use and tie in the Assembly/Gervais Corner that it backs up too and have shops, restaurants etc there. The high rise could even be apartments since we still have a shortage of those downtown.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Certus Bank is still working on the rehab of the former NBSC building at Main and Lady. If you click on the pic of the high-rises in the attached article it's a pretty cool shot.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/ne...th-rsquo-to-5b

Old 12-09-2013, 11:20 AM

405 posts, read 720,762 times
Personally I think a 40 story building would be perfect for downtown, as long as it was well placed. We need some more height.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Soda City just notified on Facebook that City Council has approved the farmer's market's expansion to a second block and renewed their permit for another two years.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Jazz, anyone?

The Columbia Museum of Art Announces a New World-Class Concert Series | MidlandsBiz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or