U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM

9,601 posts, read 13,717,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Well seeing that the only glass buildings in Columbia are boxes I see where you make that argument. But if you do take a look at other cities glass buildings they are quite interesting and cool looking then our glass buildings. And no there are not to many parcels in downtown to go no taller than 6 stories. I love history and the old buildings on main should all be landmarked but that hunk a junk should not be landmarked.

Does anyone else think the green area next to the hunk junk (Lexington State Bank building) should have a sculpture in it?
I like our glass boxes. The Hub's gray will bring out the gray in the the 1400 Main building, the glass box on the right. It will also recall the gray of the Capitol Center, which I hated when they first built it but like now, the black windows at ground level notwithstanding.
Attached Thumbnails
The renaissance of the central business district-boxbuildings2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,253,894 times
The reflective I do think is nice but it's still a box though. And they new paint job on The Hub I will agree makes the building look better.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM

29,579 posts, read 27,052,051 times
Quote:
Well seeing that the only glass buildings in Columbia are boxes I see where you make that argument. But if you do take a look at other cities glass buildings they are quite interesting and cool looking then our glass buildings.
I don't know of many other cities that are Columbia's size that are getting better looking glass boxes. They are pretty much all the same these days with little architectural variation.

Quote:
And no there are not to many parcels in downtown to go no taller than 6 stories. I love history and the old buildings on main should all be landmarked but that hunk a junk should not be landmarked.
Where are you getting this information from that parcels downtown aren't allowed to have buildings taller than 6 stories on them? The Vista is the only part of downtown with height restrictions.

Quote:
Does anyone else think the green area next to the hunk junk (Lexington State Bank building) should have a sculpture in it?
No, it should have a building on it.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM

801 posts, read 814,791 times
I've noticed that! Alot of columbia buildings are glass buildings(very nice). Cant wait to visit!!!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know of many other cities that are Columbia's size that are getting better looking glass boxes. They are pretty much all the same these days with little architectural variation.

Where are you getting this information from that parcels downtown aren't allowed to have buildings taller than 6 stories on them? The Vista is the only part of downtown with height restrictions.

No, it should have a building on it.
Innovista's design guidelines require that it be 6 stories or lower. The neighborhood north of the CBD is only allowed to be as tall as the house. Columbia Commons has to be shorter than the red steeple on the Babcock Building. And north main can only be like the other buildings.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:11 AM

I love the structure and design of downtown columbia!!!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Innovista's design guidelines require that it be 6 stories or lower. The neighborhood north of the CBD is only allowed to be as tall as the house. Columbia Commons has to be shorter than the red steeple on the Babcock Building. And north main can only be like the other buildings.
That leaves the area bounded by Assembly, Elmwood, Marion and Gervais: the central business district.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Comvention this summer?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
That leaves the area bounded by Assembly, Elmwood, Marion and Gervais: the central business district.
I know that but the hospital, churches, parking garages, and most of the current buildings are not going to get torn down. Very few parking areas exist in the CBD that aren't connected to a building already.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I know that but the hospital, churches, parking garages, and most of the current buildings are not going to get torn down. Very few parking areas exist in the CBD that aren't connected to a building already.
That simply isn't true. There are lots of surface parking lots and other vacant lots within those boundaries that can be developed with no height restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or